Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot Opening

Big_dom91

Been bugging me for while now as to whether my boot should be like this it seems to have a larger gap on the right hand side than what it does on the left hand side. Does anybody know whether this can be altered in any way or is it just normal

post-37742-0-87233300-1375532196_thumb.j

post-37742-0-33272500-1375535369_thumb.j

Looks like either the boot lid is off centre or the wing is too far out.

I'm sure you can adjust the shut line of the wing to tidy up the gap.

• Like 1

Cheers stoney dont suppose you know how to do that do you haha

• Like 1

the lock striker is out of place simply look at the gap if its bigger on the right then take out the boot carpet and the plastic trim covering the striker plate draw round the plate and loosen with a t25 torq bit now move it slightly in the direction that you have the bigger gap doesnt take much make sure its at the same height or level it was before you unscrewed it and tighten it up now the boot should close and be even either side

To be honest it's probably best getting a bodyshop to take a look.

I believe it's purely about adjusting bolts and alignments but is most likely a two pair of hands task.

mine was the same the boot isnt adjustable except via the striker plate if its out of alignment it pulls the boot to one side when its closed once its central the boot will close in line and even

Cheers fellas were abouts this striker plate tho please artscot :S

opn the boot and look down at the bumper its where the boot lock engages cant really miss it

Oh right sound cheers mate il post the results wen iv hopefully sorted it :)

if you need to adjust the boot lid itself, you open the boot and look at the bolts that hold the hinge of the door to the top of the bodwork, you need to loosen these sufficiently that they still grip, but enough that you can just move the boot with a bit of pressure. my boot lid has been replaced after an accident and it wasnt very well aligned. I recently did this, and found you need to move the thing up to a mm and you can make a huge difference.

When I get enough time, I am going to try some more trial and error and see if I can line it up properly, so its all flush with the bodywork.

The catch will only be the issue if the boot lid is aligned correctly. Check the hinges and make sure there are no scrapings to suggest that the lid has been removed and replaced, or removed full stop.

If the hinge does appear this way it could be more the method I describe above that you need to do, however, if it looks factory perfect, then as arthur said, loosen and slide very slightly the plate and re-secure, then trial and error to get it to the right place.

Just looked at the boot hindge and on the affected side it looks like its moved so think il just loosen it and put it back into placepost-37742-0-11678500-1375898960_thumb.j

be very careful, when you close your boor after adjustment, ensure you secure the bolts again properly and close with caution, otherwise if its shifted too far another way, you could smack it into the wing, or the lights and you would end up with a bigger bill, so hold it and move it down slowly then gently press it into a closed position (not all the way but so the boot is almost fully closed but still on the catch.

That gives you an idea of whether or not the line up is cured or not...

• 9 years later...

Hi,

Great information about adjusting the plate. But can anyone help with getting the boot open to be able to adjust the palate? My boot will not open using the handle the key or the release button on the dashboard.. I have a 2012 Ford Focus Saloon CDTi.

Thanks in Advance.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club