Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie Q&a

Ushmiester

Hi there all!!

I am the proud new owner of a focus 1.6 zetec, state blue. :wub:

a quick q & a

1. whats the average mpg. Since brimming the tank when I bought it, I've covered almost 400 miles for £60 - does this sound about right

2. cambelt/timing belt! the dreaded "hasit / hasn't it" been changed - and Its on 95K!!! the cover looks new but haven't got round to taking it off yet but does have a sticker on the side. info at bottom of post.

3. power steering leak - only slight but leaking underneath regardless. (o/s/f) any clues??

4. Wobbly headlight (osf)- (12v Doobla - or Doola!!??) - inside the headlight casing whilst the headlight is off the car, there is a small plastic ball joint that needs seating in the plastic retainer - its come off and is a bugger to get back in - resulting in a disco effect when going over bumps! Any tips?

I have done the following maintenance so far -

New oil & Filter, Topped up all fluids, changed 2 headlight bulbs, New battery, Air filter, new Spark Plugs. ( oh - and washed & waxed - engine bay cleaned & tidied up)

whats next?

Cheers in advance :)

Ushmiester

timing belt cover info sticker

1S4G 6007 MA 13

ELH00 200901141240

001 I 22 1.60

Hi welcome I assume this is a petrol 60 quid for 400 miles depends on where and how it's Ben driven I suppose but wouldn't say that's to bad at all.

Cam belt getting near the time to be changed personally I,d get it done for piece of mind regardless .

Power steering pump poss leaking pipe union to pump could try giving it a little tightening but I think this could be an mot fail if spotted so needs looking at before next test (I have a spare pump if you ever require one).

The headlight I would try something like wd40 in the knuckle for a bit of lubrication .

Bet you enjoy the ride it was getting a mk1 for my son that got me hooked on the focus .

Hi Tony,

1. whats the average mpg. Since brimming the tank when I bought it,
I've covered almost 400 miles for £60 - does this sound about right

That isnt bad for petrol at all, especially a 1.6. You could "retrain" the car to your driving standard, by disconnecting the battery for half an hour. Then, when you drive, drive as you will drive the car most the time for the rest of its life. If you drive with a gentle foot, it will retrain the car to be more efficient, if you drive it with a heavy foot, it will retrain the car to be a bit more generous with the fuel it supplies. Within about three tanks, you should be getting the best MPG for the weight of your foot :)

2. cambelt/timing belt! the dreaded "hasit / hasn't it" been changed
- and Its on 95K!!! the cover looks new but haven't got round to taking
it off yet but does have a sticker on the side. info at bottom of post.

If its at that lifetime, I would say get it changed. Worst case scenario, you waste £200 but have the car with a shiny new belt. If it hasnt been changed, then you have just stopped the engine blowing up and saved yourself thousands :)

3. power steering leak - only slight but leaking underneath regardless. (o/s/f) any clues??

Could be the power steering pipe. father in law had this, cost him about £150 to get sorted at the dealers, you could probably do it yourself or cheaper with an indie garage.

4. Wobbly headlight (osf)- (12v Doobla - or Doola!!??) - inside the
headlight casing whilst the headlight is off the car, there is a small
plastic ball joint that needs seating in the plastic retainer - its come
off and is a bugger to get back in - resulting in a disco effect when
going over bumps! Any tips?

Replace the headlight. You can buy them cheap enough from used parts places. I bought a headlight recently for my CMAX for £35! got me through the MOT and fixed a similar issue I had.

Hope this helps.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club