Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2 Towbar Wiring

barrymx5

I thought I'd done the hard bit by fitting my TowTrust towbar, which required the removal of the rear bumper of my Mk2 Focus diesel hatchback. This task successfully completed, I now need to install the wiring. The towbar socket wiring is sorted, but I'm struggling to find explicit wiring details and instructions in order to connect to the vehicle. I've removed the left side panel inside the boot space, to reveal the loom. There appears to be a socket here on the loom, suggesting that I might be able to make use of it to wire the towbar socket. I've ordered an audible device to fit onto the indicator wiring, and it is at this stage that I could do with some guidance. I should have mentioned that I'm only pulling a small trailer with a basic light board.

I've gained some useful information from other postings, but nothing that hits the spot. I appreciate that such things are difficult to explain, for which reason a photo or wiring diagram reference would prove really useful. In fact, any information or prior experience that links directly to the car side of things, would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently...

LH flasher-blue
RH flasher-blue/red
Fog-green/yellow
LH sidelight-orange/white
RH sidelight-orange
Brake-green/black

I've done a few towbars (3 of my Focus estates) and I don't recall having to find a +ve supply (though I've never fitted the 12S). I also don't recall cutting the indicator feeds, I only remember needing a local earth for the beeper unit, which I sometimes wrap as they can be loud(not good for travelling with a sleeping child).

I usually run a 2 core (speaker cable from poundland will do) from the n/s where I do the bulk of the connections over to the o/s for the RH indicator and sidelight. I have used scotchloks in the past though stripping and soldering / re-insulating will give a more reliable connection.

I'm going to be doing this soon as I've a detachable towbar to fit to the wife's Focus(I despise hitting shins on towbars). :)

Wish id had a guide when i did mine i did it with a multimeter and scotch locks took a while but works fine, you can get dedicated plug and play electrics but theyre usually overpriced

Thx damadgeruk.

The colour coding should make the task much more straight forward. There has been some suggestion of the need for a relay, but I'm guessing this isn't required for the 7 pin 12N type for trailer lights only. If I'm understanding your guide, I simply locate the correct wire according to your coding, and scotchlok in place without the need for a relay. Can you clarify the speaker cable bit as I'm not sure why this is need. Any photos of your instalment would be very much appreciated, though a lot to ask!

The speaker wire runs from the wiring at the passenger side rear arch to the drivers side rear arch to pick up wiring for the offside indicator and sidelight. I'll try to get pics loaded over Xmas.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while, but I'm back on the case. Did you manage to get those photos of your wiring instalment?

It's been a while, but I'm back on the case. Did you manage to get those photos of your wiring instalment?

No though assuming the baby doesn't arrive before its Thursday due date I'll grab some photos (though I'm not certain they'll show the colour codes given already).

That would be brilliant. My main problem is that, whilst I have traced the wire coding colours you have provided at the business end, I can't find them all at the loom itself. Hence, I'm not certain which wires or position along the loom to join onto. I have a photo of what I can see on the left side of the boot, behind the cover.

I hope all goes well with the new addition to the family. My little problem can wait

post-48926-0-51064000-1394350267_thumb.j

I think you've captured the necessary wires, the ones exiting the top of your photo. Will confirm tomorrow hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope all went well with the birth. Any progress with the photos of where you have spliced into the loom?

If you are unable to provide them, no problem, just let me know and I'll move on. Many thanks for your help so far.

• 8 months later...

Thought I'd give closure to this thread and let anyone interested know that my tow bar electrics are now in place and working. I gave in, and went to a guy who does it for a living. He made short work of it, and said it would have been completed in 20mins max if I hadn't constantly distracted him. I think he liked me really as he only charged me £25.00 to connect the towbar socket wiring to the car loom.

If you're prepared to travel to Brasenose Rd near the docks in Liverpool and need a similar job doing, I'll give you his contact details.

It has been interesting to discover that some information on this topic has been misleading, and no extra electrical bits are required to do this task on the Mk2, other than a sounder for the indicators.

Thanks to all those who offerd advice. My next challenge is to find out which ABS sensor is causing the warning light to show on my MX5 dash board. It never ends!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club