Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Do You Rate The Auto?

The Dark Knight

Ok, to cut a long story short: I am still living at home (I'm 29) thanks to the ever crippling uni fees. I plan to get my first place in 2016.

I used to own a rather nice Freelander 2 auto but it had to go when I took out a loan for my latest course. I now have a Fez ecoboost on finance until 2016.

I am planning on handing the car back in 2016 so I am no longer saddled with finance. I then plan to buy a used focus outright with a budget of approx £3k (best estimate).

I have seen some examples of them on autotrader and would like to return to auto gearbox. This is 2 years ahead of needing to worry about this I know but I am curious as to how the auto is rated. Is it good or rubbish?

Speed or economy not a major deal. Cheers

to be honest, the 4 speed autos are good boxes. They make a good smooth drive, but of course, you lose a little power (damned torque converter hindering!) and also you lose the MPG, as you are carrying an elephant weight gearbox :p

But, as long as you do not get a ZF Auto 7 speed triptonic gearbox, you will be fine!

Many thanks for the reply. I will bear that in mind

But, as long as you do not get a ZF Auto 7 speed triptonic gearbox, you will be fine!

whats wrong with the 7 speed get up?

Focus and specifically CMAX using the ZF gearbox output around 240nm of Torque, the ZF is only designed to cope with 239nm, thus resulting in an untimely demise of the gearbox. I dont know if mine has been replaced before I bought it, or if I am sitting on a ticking timebomb!

They pulled the gearbox in early 2006 for general manufacture, and I recall hearing that some sneaked back in at points, but generally speaking they replaced the 7 speed with the 4 speed due to the numerous complaints.

sounds similar to what jaguar did when they brought out the 5.0 V8 (with and without the supercharger), the engine can give WAY more power than what it currently produces but the gearbox (a ZF set up) could only handle so much so they has to de-tune the engine in the mid-range to 'save' the gearbox.

ford therefore could have reduces the torque to just under what the gearbox could take... or even better go to a tuner and get the torque reduces to save the gearbox, no? i know a very reputable tuner known on the Smart forums, i havent used him but have had owners highly recommend him, his 'partner in crime' you could say is also a very well known in the Smart community and very knowledgable Smart mechanic if you want PM me and i can give you his info

I wish you could get more power, but with less Torque lol. This damned gearbox is stopping me opening the potential of the engine!

I am surprised though that Ford just fix it with another ZF gearbox. I wish they could swap it with something more robust when it goes pop!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club