Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Battery - Which Brand?

DJ Drewman

Hi and happy new year to one and all.

So I went to start the Focus after it had been sitting for a week.....flat battery :(

As deepest winter is looming just around the corner, I have decided to bite the bullet and get a new battery for the car. But I am bewildered by the choice that is out there.

Has anyone done some research/ had experience with battery brands?

Could anyone recommend a particular brand, or advise against a particular brand?

In case you are wondering I'm looking to buy online, after a heavy(ish) duty battery and it's a Type 075.

Thanking you all muchly in advance :)

i got myself the Bosch S5 74A version, comes with a 5 year warranty and never had battery or starting issues since, plenty of power even with everything turned on

• Like 1

Thanks for you replies guys.

So after the battery on charge for around 16hours I refitted it. The battery is a maintenance free type but the indicator on the top shows nothing, it is just blank, no "fully charged" green or "discharged" red - nothing! When I took it off charge it was around 1.5A rate, down from an initial 5A charge rate.

I refitted the battery, and she started up first time no probs, but after running for a minute or so the "No charge" battery icon illuminated on the dash and remained on. I checked to see if the alternator was turning which is was. I also turned off and fired her up again, no problem starting but once again the "no charge" indicator light came on.

My question is this. Would the warning light come on just because the battery is faulty, i.e. if I replace it would this rectify the problem (I'm most likely to do this anyway, due to the lack of any indicator on the battery itself) or could it be a possible alternator problem and how would I diagnose this?

i got myself the Bosch S5 74A version, comes with a 5 year warranty and never had battery or starting issues since, plenty of power even with everything turned on

I plumped for a Bosch S4 075 S4004 in the end. Calcium 4 year guarantee, Capacity - 60Ah, CCA - 540A and a steal on Euro Car parts with their 15% discount at the moment, Total price a tad over £53. I also have a branch less than 1 mile from my house, picking it up and fitting it, this afternoon :D

• Like 1

Good call on the Bosch, I have either S4 or S5 (cant remember) and its a great battery.

Having moved most of my bulbs to LED takes the pressure off the battery so it remains charged more and reduces the risk of a flat battery!

Edited by jeebowhite
seriously cant spell!

Thanks for you replies guys.

So after the battery on charge for around 16hours I refitted it. The battery is a maintenance free type but the indicator on the top shows nothing, it is just blank, no "fully charged" green or "discharged" red - nothing! When I took it off charge it was around 1.5A rate, down from an initial 5A charge rate.

I refitted the battery, and she started up first time no probs, but after running for a minute or so the "No charge" battery icon illuminated on the dash and remained on. I checked to see if the alternator was turning which is was. I also turned off and fired her up again, no problem starting but once again the "no charge" indicator light came on.

My question is this. Would the warning light come on just because the battery is faulty, i.e. if I replace it would this rectify the problem (I'm most likely to do this anyway, due to the lack of any indicator on the battery itself) or could it be a possible alternator problem and how would I diagnose this?

If the light is on the battery is most likely faulty. Most places to free battery tests. If you can, take it to Halfords and ask for them to test it. It's totally free and i'v never had them pressure me into buying from them if it is faulty. Best guess is it's got a dead cell so won't hold a charge.

Then, if it's duffed, see where you can find the best price for a decent Bosch with a 4/5 year warranty.

Good luck:)

If the light is on the battery is most likely faulty. Most places to free battery tests. If you can, take it to Halfords and ask for them to test it. It's totally free and i'v never had them pressure me into buying from them if it is faulty. Best guess is it's got a dead cell so won't hold a charge.

Then, if it's duffed, see where you can find the best price for a decent Bosch with a 4/5 year warranty.

Good luck:)

From the lack of indicator on the battery check window, I thought this myself, your comment is appreciated :)

I've replaced the battery, new one works a treat with no "no charge" light on the dash. Job Done !

Good cakk in the Bosch, I have either S4 or S5 (cant remember) and its a great battery.

Having moved most of my bulbs to LED takes the pressure off the battery so it remains charged more and reduces the risk of a flat battery!

Yup, had Bosch before, part of my reason for this one!

I aim to replace all my interiors with Blue LEDs (my car is Krystal Blue, so should look stunning) and all the instrument panel green LEDs with blue ones (Electronics is a strong point with me), all to happen when financially viable ;)

sounds like it will be a good result. I just wish I had the cahoonas to start soldering my cluster!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club