Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In Car Charger

Benemac

I have a Focus 2005 Titanium, i need to get the 12v charger out to replace it.

Can anyone tell me how to get it out?

Cheers BMc

sorry, you need to know how to remove the 12v socket itself for replacement? is that right?

There is an element to it, but unfortunately my dash is different being the CMAX, but trying to remember how mine was when I had the Focus, I believe you just remove the ashtray cover (or lift it up) then I believe you can just prise it out?

Is your socket directly into the dash cubbyhole or do you have an ashtray unit fitted?

If it's in an ashtray unit you can remove the whole tray by unclipping the trim around the gear knob and pulling the tray out.

If it's directly into the cubby then you need to remove the panel next to the clutch pedal to access the back of the socket, you'll need a screwdriver withTorx bits for the screw.

In both instances the socket is held in with a ring (black for cubby mounted socket, green or orange illuminated ring for the ashtray mounted one).

In both instances unplug the socket.

For the black one you need to feel around behind the socket and you'll feel a small plastic tube on the side of the back of the socket, you need to break it off with pliers or similar and then push the socket and remains of the ring out of the hole.

For the illuminated one you need to place the tray on a flat surface (face down) and tap the socket out with a small hammer or push firmly with your thumbs, there is as proper tool for removing Ford sockets but when I finally got one (not cheap) the darn thing was next to useless.

You will need a new socket, obviously, and if you had to mangle the black ring getting it out you can get a new one from Ford (may take a few days)

Black ring-

post-28494-0-88197700-1390351641_thumb.j

The black ring is part (Finis number) 1085719) from Ford

The green illuminated ring is Finis 1353438 and the amber one is Finis 1378851-

post-28494-0-40192600-1390351985_thumb.j post-28494-0-61492100-1390351992_thumb.j

The lighter socket itself is Finis 1447680

post-28494-0-51377900-1390352124_thumb.j

If you're interested, the Focus (if there is not already an illuminated ring) has a spare wire taped back along the socket loom for connecting to an illuminated ring.

Easiest source of a new socket is ebay-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK1-98-04-Cigarette-Lighter-12V-Accessory-Socket-/121259306321?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c3b9e2d51

Don't worry that it's listed for an earlier Focus, all the sockets are identical.

Brill i will have a go and let you know how i get on. The socket itself should be ok.

I had an in car charger for my phone and it broke off inside the socket and cant get it out

so probably just easier to fully replace.

Could you not just pull the socket fuse from the footwell board and then insert a tool or screw into the broken off bit and yank it out?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club