Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust System Change Mk3 Mondeo Tdci 130

Just wondering on opinions for best exhaust setup for my new mondeo my last motor had much debate of certain pipe diameters and number and design of silencers cat/decat etc etc , this I know is a noobish question but just want the best ideas from folk basically

Thanks in advance

Chris

Sent from the enterprise

The standard system is 2-1/4" which is quite big for a 2.0/2.2L engine

all the mk3 diesel exhausts are identical (2000-2007 /2.0 TDDI/ 2.2 ST-TDCI) exept the ST-TDCI has a "cosmetic" visible pipe coming out of the back-box and the early cars have an additional middle box

The most restrictive part of the system is the back-box, so if you just delete this (and replace it with a straight pipe) or replace it with a "straight through" silencer the resulting system (with cat still on/ otherwise stock) will outerform even a decatted (2-1/2" ss decat) system with heatwralpped downpipe/ decat - this has been tested/ proven

once the back-box is "sorted" its worth doing the decat,

many decats are 2-1/2" to go for the "ultimate" best with one with a "mandrel" bend in it (does not "squash down" in the bend) straight decats (without a bend into the downpipe/ flexi) have to make a "sudden" turn so are not as good

if you have a middle box/ silencer just leave it on- it is a straight-thru type so not (very) restrictive, with the back-box delete, and decat, you will have a "straight through" 2-1/4" system, this will be good for quite a few Hp

you could go up to 2-12" but you would have to replace the entire system (starting with a 2-1/2" decat, 2-1/2" downpipe/ flexi- and the entire rest of the system must be 2-1/2" or more) - there is no (or little) point in making one part bigger without doing the whole length

2-1/2" inch systems are not easily/ commercially available so would have to be custom made - expensive

so the 2-1/4" (stock) system with back-box delete and decat (you can heatwrap the downpipe/ flexi and decat as well) is a good "compromise"

no point in dual / treble quadruple pipes / tailpipes, its "micky mouse"/ cosmetic (sorry guys) - all it does is add weight and the y-piece can add turbulence - a single pipe/ tailpipe has the lowest weight/ highest flow and lowest surface area vs volume/ flow

its debatable but there is probably no point in going over 2-1/2" on a 2.0/ 2.2L under 400Hp

Noise is highly subjective (one persons "too loud" is anothers "perfect") but the turbo cuts down a lot of the noise - and some have MOTd and ran their mk3 diesels for years with a completely "straight through" system (no silencers) - with a VNT, you get a "weeee" sond when you change gear/ lift off, so i recommend adding a "straight through" type silencer if you do a back-box delete, especially if you do a decat and d not have a middle silencer present

Thanks for that reply , not had a good look at the front part of the system yet as too whether cat /dog an it's shape but was going to remove back box anyway and put my back box on there which is 2-1/4" inch connection as it is , gonna be looking to remap as well at some point

Sent from the enterprise