Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Mondeo Limp Mode

allbluedave

hey guys. :) ok so ive had no issues with my 02 mk3 mondeo till yesterday when it decided to go in to what i believe is limp mode and a orange coil like symbol showed up on the dash? any ideas? had a similar thing happen on my mk1 galaxy. turned out to be a popped bulb in the rear light that caused the glow plug light to come on. the light has since gone out and the car is driving fine now. just curious why it happened. cheers guys :)

Hi David,

The glow plug light is in essence a second engine management light. If you saw this, it read a bad sensor or readout somewhere.

Does the car start normally? is it petrol or diesel?

had that problem with mine. ended up being the EGR valve. but yeah can be a number of different things

cheers for the replys guys. yeah it starts fine and its a diesel. aint done it since :huh:

Sounds like a bad sensor reading hopefully was a one off!

Try an edge cleaner,follow instructions on tin worked on my mondeo zetec tdci.

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

Cheers guys.☺ I really need to buy a Haynes manual. No idea where the egr valve is lol

google mondeo mk3 EGR removal and you will find clips on youtube that will help you.

Cheers jeebo.well it ain't done it no more so far so if it ain't broke dont fix it lol. Knowing my luck if i mess about with it the car will run like a bag of spanners lol. :)

doing the egr is a must on a derv anyway's... and should take the op longer than 5 mins to complete

Its a waste of time cleaning the EGR valve as the inlet manifold is liable to be filled up with carbon/ gunk inside - the EGR valve is a small and insignificant part of the inlet compared to the inlet manifold

It really needs to be taken off and cleaned properly ("magic" sprays etc are of little use)

Once its cleaned the best thing you can do is fit a solid EGR blanking plate (this will stop the inlet filling up with muck, engine will pick up better, sligtly better performance + often better economy)

Yours is a Euro3 car (if your profile/ avatar is correct) so the EGR can have a solid plate fitted with no problems at all

Your model of car can have a front or rear mounted EGR, if you find the wrong video on u-tube it will be very confusing/ completely different from your car - best to post some pictures up of your engine on this site and i can tell you all about your engine when i get a chance

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club