Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help With Buying A Car Please! Just Seen A Fiesta

urchin79

I have been looking around for a car but no idea what I should be looking for to make sure I am buying something reasonable. I would like maybe a Focus or Fiesta (non-Ford I was considering Yaris).

I popped into local garage tonight and they had a nice 2006 Fiesta Style with new cambelt, MOT etc. http://www.yatecarsales.co.uk/used_car_ford_fiesta_hatchback_10240.htm But it only had one service stamp! One of the 'health check' record said recommend service but there were no receipts for it and a 'X' in the box as if it was declined. Last person (2 owners) did 15K miles in 4 years and had no stamps at all and previous owner just had 1!! How will I know if the engine has been affected by this? Should I steer clear? I didnt have time to test drive but didnt think there was any point until I find out what I should be checking for!

Thanks for any help, I can't keep pouring money into my knackered 1999 Focus but i'm too nervous about buying another one!! :( I have been so lucky in the past with getting cars, my current one I got from my friend so I knew what I was getting (it was well looked after and has been great until now it's so old). Now I am having to trust a garage probably paying more or a stranger in cheaper private sale.

Having had low mileage - you MIGHT get away with it...if you get it, give it a good service (easy enough to DIY).

Cars that haven't had the loving tend to either be bullet proof or fail at the drop of the hat.

The ad mentions free 2 year warranty. If the damage is done, you'll know about it within 2 years!! But, I wouldn't purchase it without a test drive.

If you're in ANY doubt - walk away!! Otherwise you'll be forever worried about it going wrong and never enjoy the car.

I will say that the 1.2 is a nice perky little engine and the mk6 is a generally a nice car to drive.

I will be forever worried anyway I expect. But when I was saying that it was crazy there was just 1 service the guy said it might have been done by owners rather than garage and he could contact them to ask. I said that's no good asking if there's no proof and he then actually admitted he didn't think it's been looked after and probably not been serviced by her. The warranty thing I think is very strict, they will probably try and claim anything that goes wrong is wear and tear! I'm quite sceptical as you might already tell :P Thanks for advice. It did seem comfortable sitting in it (i'm really tall and didn't even think there would be enough legroom but it was fine!)

Walk away then bud!

You're right about the warranty - probably try wriggle out of it because it has no proof of services.

I do my own servicing and log it in a separate notebook with receipts for parts kept in another folder with it. I doubt I'll sell the car privately (it's a good car that I intend to run into the ground :p)

My ex had a Mk6.5 Fez and I quite liked it (prefer my Focus though lol)

Look elsewhere. There are plenty of them. People think because they do a low mileage it's not worth servicing them but oil and brake fluid degrades with time as well as miles. Who knows if the rad has proper anti-freeze (which also acts as a rust inhibitor) or not. Someone who is likely to skimp on the servicing is not going to be looking after their car and damage may already been done.

I'm having a look on websites and there do seem to be plenty of Fiestas about. I'm not sure what things I should be checking tho when I look at them/take for a drive etc. Any tests? I remember my late father looking for a car and offering his eye up to the edge of the car to make sure the panels were aligned or something! You see people browsing cars open the bonnet to have a look, but what exactly are they looking for/at? LOL

Blimey just rang about another fiesta with no SH.. what is it with people and Fiestas that don't look after them?? :S

I have seen a 2006 Focus 80K, had SH at 13K, 24K, 42K and 71K. Still not as good as it could be but better than the others I have seen!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club