Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Tdci Dpf Fault Code - P2458

TomsFocus

Morning!

I've got this recurring fault code that comes back after clearing.

IMAG4031_zpsa7f1a27c.jpg

Theres no EML on or anything that would prove there's a fault.

It drives ok mostly but does have the occasional hiccup with a slight judder or hesitation (very infrequently) which I believe is when it's performing a regen as the mpg drops and the fans are still on after switching off the engine.

I don't really do many short journeys, it's 12 miles just to get to town from herebut they're not exactly fast, between 30 and 50mph mostly. And I take it on a longer 70mph run once a week.

Car has done 47k miles. I've only had it a fortnight so not sure how it's previously been driven.

The pipes to the pressure sensor look ok (no cracks/splits) but I didn't remove them to check for blockages, is that likely? Is the sensor itself likely to be faulty?

What does the 'signal above maximum threshold' mean? Is that for the temperature or the pressure?

I could perform a static regen with this software but I'd rather not waste the fuel if that's not likely to cure the problem.

Sorry for the essay lol, but if anyone has any ideas (other than removing the DPF lol) I'd be interested to hear them. :)

Cheers

Tom

has the DPF recently been cleaned, removed or serviced?

Not been cleaned as far as I know, and is definitely still in place... As said I've only had a it a few weeks now, the code was there the first time I scanned for faults, there were others but this is the only one that comes back.

Sounds to me like you may have ran out of EOLYS fluid. Its trying to regenerate per the usual fluid method but there is none, so its trying to work based purely on the standard heat offered from combustion, its getting to a high temperature (thats in fact low for the purpose) and it just continues to regen for too long.

Thats just my 2p's worth....

• Like 1

I would expect it to bring up a code of its own if it had ran out though?

Is there any way to check the amount of Eolys left? I have ELMconfig and Forscan. Or even a visual check if the tank is clear?

I dont believe there is a code for empty tank, I dont think it has a sensor for that particular error, and that would be too easy :p

I dont believe there is an easy way to identify it, the tank is well hidden at best! you would need it to be looked at by Ford. If the tank isnt empty, then its quite likely the thing will need the forced regen (which is in beta phase on FORSCAN).

Lol, they do like to make things difficult it seems! Seems odd that there isn't a dash light either, in VWs you get a light that shows how full the DPF is as a percentage.

Also if I took it to Ford they'd have to 'see' it somehow lol? Unless its a function of IDS that hasn't filtered down to the ELM yet I guess.

As much as I dislike the astra it has a dpf light that illuminates when it needs a regeneration telling you you need to hit the motorway. An oddly clever idea. But yeah Ford didn't make life easy for anyone

Yeah that sounds the same as the VW equivalent. Though it has (I think) 3 differences around he light so you know how bad it's getting.

It seems like with the Ford you just have to wait for the limp mode before knowing its getting saturated! :unsure:

Right, I'm still no further forward with this lol. And for reasons which I wont go into, I can't risk a complete breakdown and want to avoid limp mode as much as possible so really need to do something about this before it's too late lol.

I can't afford to go to Ford and ask their opinion so that's out.

The fans are still on every time I park up, even after a short 5 mile drive in 8c ambient temp last night. In my old car (2.0 HDi) the fans NEVER came on! They are known for running cold though, 75c was about as high as they get ever got while driving, though you could just get to 90c in traffic when the stat would open lol. So is it just normal for the 1.6TDCi's to run warmer and need fans, or is it trying to regen every time? The temp shows normal but afaik these newer temp gauges lie to you until it's drastically bad lol. Air con isn't on btw.

Has anyone tried a static regen using Forscan or ELMconfig? What happens? Does it just hold revs at 3k for 15 minutes or something? How much fuel does that use!?

Don't think the Eolys has ran out as apparently it lasts about 75k?

Not tried the regeneration as I don't have a dpf but I have seen it will nosing on the software.

The fan can Come on as you describe but most of the time it's just because it's done / doing a regeneration.

What's the mileage on the car and although it says it can last 75k that's not always the case. If you top up half a tank or more it Injects a dose of the stuff so theoretically half the miles and it could be gone.

47k miles roughly.

Though I understood it that the amount of fuel was calculated when the fuel door is shut, then the 'right' amount of Eolys added based on that?

Yeah as soon as it hits a level it drops a dose In. But I don't believe it calculates x for x, I think it says hit 75 drop shot in. Then when it gets down to lower it waits till it gets back up again.

Ah I see, that makes sense.

Annoyingly, I've got another flat tyre (2nd puncture in 3 weeks of ownership!) so will have to swap that off tomorrow. Its the NSR wheel though, which seems to be the area the Eolys tank is located, behind a heat shield. So I'll try and get a visual of that tomorrow and report back. :)

• Like 1

There's a small tank behind the fuel tank, is this the eolys tank or a reserve? Either way, being black I can't see the level!

post-58818-0-24812600-1412844815_thumb.j

Yes that's the tank , when it runs low you will get a warning light , it happened to me..... The car was fine I was getting it ready for a run down south an went the garage to fill up..... when I filled up an started the car the warning light appeared at that point there's still fluid left in the tank ...... I filled it up about 2-3 weeks later an it took less than a litre.... horrible stuff it's stains your skin like false tan lol

I haven't seen a pic before but if it looks like it would take 1 or 2 litres it's probably eolys tank. Give it a tap and see if it sounds empty

Yes that's the tank , when it runs low you will get a warning light , it happened to me..... The car was fine I was getting it ready for a run down south an went the garage to fill up..... when I filled up an started the car the warning light appeared at that point there's still fluid left in the tank ...... I filled it up about 2-3 weeks later an it took less than a litre.... horrible stuff it's stains your skin like false tan lol

Ah ok, that's good to know then! Can rule that out at least.

Yeah I know its horrible stuff lol, reminds me of the creosote my granddad used to use on fences haha!

I haven't seen a pic before but if it looks like it would take 1 or 2 litres it's probably eolys tank. Give it a tap and see if it sounds empty

Lol, I tried tapping it but couldn't really tell from that, it sounded the same as the fuel tank did with about 25 litres in there lol.

Think I'll attempt a forced regen when I get home this evening, the engine/DPF should already be warm so it wont take as long hopefully!

What gizmos do you have to go the regen ? Is there something out there cheap an cheerful to do the job

I've got a modified Ford ELM cable (on eBay, under £15) modded ones come with a switch for the MS and HS CAN.

Got the free software FORSCAN and ELMconfig. ELMconfig lets you change various factory settings and FORSCAN is better for fault codes and live data, it also hasthe option to force a static regen but I haven't tried yet...

Slightly worried about trying it as I don't really know what to expect. I've seen dealer regens done before, but not sure if it'll be any different.

I guess you have nothing to lose by trying it :-)

Well, a bit later than expected but here's a vid of the regen....yes, it's terrifying, hence the deep breaths you can hear lol! :unsure::lol:

Very easy to do though....hardest part is switching on all those electrical items (heated screens, lights and air con) then watching it sit at 4k...felt sorry for the mpg computer lol!!

Was surprised how quick it was though. Not sure if theres a test I can do to prove it's worked, just have to wait and see if the fault comes back I guess. I did run diagnostics of the pressure difference over the DPF, but the 'spike' was the same before and after, both 9kPa, but that spike is very brief so probably not the correct way to test it.

Here is the before and after anyway. The important ones are the bottom 3, blue is DPF pressure difference, pink is a DPF temp sensor (cant remember is pre or post though) and yellow is RPM.

Before

IMAG4100_zpsd91c1892.jpg

After

IMAG4101_zps0aef78aa.jpg

Good to see the functionality works, as for the outcome the graphs definitely show improvements and that's the main thing!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club