Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare Wheel

danny12

hi

I have just replaced my punctured passenger side alloy wheel with my steel spare wheel. All is fine with the spare as it has never even been used before. The only problem being is that i am unsure on weather the bolts from my alloy wheel are on tight enough for the spare wheel as there is a washer behind the bolts which is rattling slightly. The bolts are well tightened up and the wheel does not move at all. Will the spare be ok using alloy bolts as I have to get to work with it tomorrow.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

• Like 1

hi

I have just replaced my punctured passenger side alloy wheel with my steel spare wheel. All is fine with the spare as it has never even been used before. The only problem being is that i am unsure on weather the bolts from my alloy wheel are on tight enough for the spare wheel as there is a washer behind the bolts which is rattling slightly. The bolts are well tightened up and the wheel does not move at all. Will the spare be ok using alloy bolts as I have to get to work with it tomorrow.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Hi Danny,

Once there tight will be fine mate,

Bonus is theres 5 bolts aswell,

The alloy wheel nuts have a tapered inner edge compared to steel rim nuts which have a lip,

Perhaps worth picking up 4 steel rim nuts from breakers and keeping them along side a stick of chalk in the spare wheel well,

Chalk prevents them rusting,

Wheel will be fine for work mate just go easy on corners especially roundabouts as the lateral grip on the rear may not be what it was keep it below 50 on roundabouts unless you want to go opposite lock :lol: in which case drive her on straight sideways boss, :)

cheers, so even if the tapered inner edge rattles a little its still fine?

Don't want the wheel flying off ha

• Like 1

cheers, so even if the tapered inner edge rattles a little its still fine?

Don't want the wheel flying off ha

Ideally it shouldn't rattle mate,

Im guessing the nuts are fully home on the bolts but there's still sufficient play between the nu5 and the hub allowing the rim to move,

This would damage the finish on the tapered nuts,

And if you hit a pothole hard; the "free play" in the steel rim could potentially sheer a bolt.

Best to pick up 5 steel rim M12 nuts with a 19mm socket head from breakers to use when fitting the spare,

I didn't know there was a bit of free play in the wheel mate,

I wouldn't drive it now knowing that to be honest.

there is no play in the wheel and the bolts are on tight, just little movement in the little taped washer

cheers

• Like 1

there is no play in the wheel and the bolts are on tight, just little movement in the little taped washer

handbook states dont use alloy wheel bolts on steel rims

paul

• Like 1

It will be fine as a temporary measure, all the washer does is stops the nut cutting into your alloy when tightening, thats why it spins around on the nut.

The end of the nut will hold the steel emergency wheel securely until you can get your original wheel repaired, so dont worry.

• Like 1