Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bonnet Wont Close Properly

Mk6 sam

Hi there chaps , Came to close the bonnet after looking at a few bits . Its locks on the 1st latch but not the last one and locks down . Anyone have any idea on what i can be ?

A better explanation opened the bonnet & now can't get it shut properly. There's a black tab with a yellow arrow which releases the safety catch & apparently if you drop the bonnet from about a foot, it's supposed to move out of the way & the bonnet locks- but the tab just stays sticking out & if you pull it, you can open the bonnet.

I'd be looking at the latch mechanism first - with the bonnet up does the latch seem to operate properly when the interior release handle is pulled?

Wouldn't expect the bonnet rubbers to suddenly need adjusting, but wouldn't rule that out.

First off though, if the latch seems to be working ok from the cable next get yourself a medium sized screwdriver with shaft similar size to the metal striker on the under-side of the bonnet. With the bonnet up, pull the screwdriver shaft down across the latch so it clicks through the first and second latching positions. You should be able to then pull the screwdriver out, and open the latch again via the cable. That should give you much better idea if the latching system is working properly or needs looking at further.

If you do have to adjust the bonnet rubbers, make a note of how much you turn them from their original position and adjust both by same amounts - if you turn them inwards the bonnet will go further down but you're also closing up gap to the grille and headlamps. Winding rubbers outwards will make the bonnet harder to slam closed and may stop the latch releasing by the release handle unless someone presses it down as you pull the cable. Had that problem with my 03 Fiesta while I was trying to improve closing gaps.

This happened to me on my 2009 zetec after filling up with washer fluid at a petrol station. Ended up calling out the RAC and waiting in a cold dark car park for an hour. Know what he did?

Put a shed-load of WD40 in the catch area and left it for a minute and then gave it a good slam. worked like a dream.

As it's a relatively seldom used mechanism (in comparison to door or boot catches) it can tend to seize up. Give it a go before taking things apart.

• Like 1

When I first got my 2009 zetec I had this problem took it straight back to ford and they got a mechanic to look at it and all he said was it was to do with the spring all he did was turned this spring a couple of times and slammed it down and it worked

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Happened on my GF's Fiesta, & heard its common. Got a feeling it was something to do with the cable. Needed a new part to work again i know that much!

All you need to do as said above, wd40 or similar, screwdriver, flick bonnet catch inside car a few times and give it a decoent slam. Then grease after..

Hi I am having issues as my bonnet will not close properly. It looks like this. post-62598-142298978828_thumb.jpg

The cable is loose. It will not lock shut.

Any ideas please people?

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Where is the cable supposed to go? I am sure I have had this problem before and fixed it myself a while ago!

Looks exactly as mine did. Try what I suggested above.

Fix this. The catch on the right hand side of the spring was seizing. Probably needs more grease. Thanks

Mine came back from its very first service with the bonnet catch smothered in grease. Never had any problems before or since, so would assume ford know of the potential problem.

So I have this problem, its the same locking mechanism as the previous fords as well.

The cable being loose is normal, it only sits tight when locked down.

When you open it spray WD40 or get some oil all over the lock, the actually locking hook is on the backm you can move it up and down with a screw driver alittle and that works the lubricant in. should work every time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this problem back in the summer of 2014 Basically all we did was grab some WD40 and spray all of the mechanism, springs etc and slammed the bonnet shut. It has been fine ever since don't waste money and time going to a ford garage only do it if all else fails! :)

• 4 years later...
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 2:28 AM, louisscale said:

This happened to me on my 2009 zetec after filling up with washer fluid at a petrol station. Ended up calling out the RAC and waiting in a cold dark car park for an hour. Know what he did?

Put a shed-load of WD40 in the catch area and left it for a minute and then gave it a good slam. worked like a dream.

As it's a relatively seldom used mechanism (in comparison to door or boot catches) it can tend to seize up. Give it a go before taking things apart.

Thank you very much for that extremely useful tip. I had exactly the same problem on my 2015 Zetec and have just resolved it with a good dose of WD40 all over the bonnet mechanism.

Mind you I know it hadn't helped mine with the car sitting idle for 18 months and unused whilst I was working away.

• 1 year later...
On 2/4/2015 at 9:24 AM, Higgo1 said:

Fix this. The catch on the right hand side of the spring was seizing. Probably needs more grease. Thanks

+1 Yes, exactly this on the mother-in-law's 2011 Fiesta. WD, grease, and freeing up exactly that catch - the right hand end of the spring is connected to a spigot on a metal plate which has to be able to rotate as the bonnet catch engages. Application of a lever (screwdriver) resolved it, and the grease will hopefully stop it seizing up again. Your original picture was good quality and really useful to see that nothing on mine had actually sheared off or something. Thank you.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club