Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Servicing At Essex Ford

mdr

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong location - pls feel free to move it if necessary.

I just wanted to share my experience at having my fiesta ST serviced with Essex Ford (part of Essex Auto Group). I'm just about to sell the car but the first service was due so wanted to get it done so that the car was in good shape for the next owner.

The car went in last week and the service produced no issues which I expected as the car is very low mileage. What I didnt expect was the car to come back with 2 damaged alloys. My wife picked the car up and I realise she should have checked the car more thoroughly before driving it back but I forgot to remind her as I just didn't expect such shoddy treatment of our car. Needless to say I was furious and after numerous angry phone calls and an internal investigation, they concluded that it couldn't be their fault as we drove it away and their technicians don't get penalised for damaging cars.

They offered me a cost price job to correct them but I refused that. As im about to sell the car, I'm very aware of the condition of all aspects of it, especially the wheels, so I know exactly how it went in to their workshop. The technician noted on the paperwork that the alloys were damaged but this wasn't agreed by us so I don't see what that proves.

Anyway, sorry for the rant but I wanted to warn people as these guys are a main dealer franchise but clearly don't treat your car with the care you would expect so I would avoid them for servicing if you can. I have mentioned these problems on Facebook etc and have had numerous people mention their own bad experiences with this group so it seems like this is not an isolated incident. Amazing really.

It's unfortunately not a surprise after reading many stories similar to yours, my Focus is going in for a service at Lookers in a couple of weeks and I'll be going over my car with a fine tooth comb before and after. My main concern is someone there taking for a 'spin' up the A12.

That's pretty shocking. I'm hoping my dashcam would pick up any of these kind of incidents, and if they disconnect it, it will be obvious from the lack of footage.

I don't know where you stand regarding the damage to they alloys, but it seems like it's just your word against theirs. They are perfectly aware that they caused the damage, but will probably lie through their teeth to avoid doing anything about it.

• Like 1

I presented a rational and reasonable argument to them but they wouldn't accept responsibility - which I fully expected and I doubt I will get anywhere by continuing to argue.

The point of my post was really to serve as a warning to others about this dealership. You might assume you are getting a high quality service by using an established ford franchise but if they can't even look after your wheels, how can you trust the quality of work underneath the surface?

I'm really surprised as I haven't had a ford for several years and I thought the overall level of quality of the cars and service had risen.

You might assume you are getting a high quality service by using an established ford franchise

That's a good point and it makes me think, were there any signs that this wasn't a trustworthy dealership before you got the car back? I usually trust garages based on the attitude of the staff, and of course each time I use them and they do good work, my trust in them increases.

This was my first ford car for several years and this was the car's first service - so I don't have any prior experience of them to have formed an opinion.

I asked them for a quote when I bought the car and found them to be the most expensive and the least interested - maybe I should have taken the hint...

• Like 1

Whenever any car of mine, past or present , is serviced, I insist that the service / workshop manager inspects the car in my presence & notes any externally visual issues before it enters the workshop.

• Like 4

I think that should be their policy anyway. Even if my wife had spotted the damage to our wheels before she drove away, the fact that we hadn't agreed the condition of the car previously means we would have had the same argument of our word against theirs.

It all leaves a sour taste when the car itself is great - ford should be aware of the damage that poorly run franchises can do to their brand.

• Like 1

its a bit late now but you should have tried a bluff,,, told him its ok as you have date/time stamped photo's of the car before its service and your going to seek leagal advice.

i once had my new C4 Citroen passanger front end smacked in too, when the car was taken from my drive to a repair center specified by my insurance (Untaxed forigen car had rammed mine btw) before it was taken on a low loader i took about 10-15 pic's all date and time stamped with the wifes galaxy s phone that has a 10mgpxl camera.

A day later the repair place rang me saying they quoted £1500 after inspection for the rapair, 2 days later they rang back to tell me they had tendered the quote and had the go ahead from my insurance but have now noticed the front windscreen was cracked and would now need replacing, but the insurance company might not pay for this so i would be lyable for the cost.

I put my pics on a usb flash drive and went to see the manager, i asked why the inspection never picked up the cracked screen, which they had changed already btw, i also pointed out that the mounting point for the passanger side pannel was nead the bottom corner of the screen and as the mounting point was bent would have had to be pulled streight and did they crack the screen while doing this.
The manager said no to this and was adamant i would be paying if the insurance didnt,,,, so we plugged in my flash drive and there were the pictures of my screen where he said it was cracked,,, NOT a SCTATCH on it,,, i asked him to explaine,, he could not,,, then i pulled out my mobile and proceeded to call my insurance company to explain how this mob were trying to rob them, i didnt get the chance to call them as it all got sorted quick smart.

Sounds daft but i learned from that, and before any service or anything being done to my car i take lots of photo's just in case, especially the alloy's.

oh btw,,, i emailed the photo's and the managers name along with a full explanation to my insurer,, i got a thankyou reply about 3 days later saying they are looking in to the incedent.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club