Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 S-Max Tailgate Won't Open

darts180cars

My neighbour has a 2007 Galaxy S-Max, and the tailgate wont open. It was slammed shut, and wouldn't open again. I have managed to open the tailgate from the inside by stripping the door down, and manually releasing it with a screwdriver. I have lubed the lock with WD40 and shut it, but it wouldn't open again using the fob or the release button on the door itself. Are there any known problems with these cars?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

so it wont open using the release button on the remote?

1st check the wires in the gaitor to the top left with the hatch open these power the rear door switch.

i too had a similar problem and stripped everything and it turned out the wires in the gaitor had snapped,wish i had checked this 1st as it took me an age to remove all the trim. :o

you wouldnt think that the smax/galaxy mk3s would suffer the same !Removed! problem that the galaxy mk1 and 2s suffer from but IT DOES.

• Like 1

I have checked the wires and they are all intact.

if your sure there all ok,then it looks like youve got to have a looksie at the switch.

You needn't close the tailgate to check if the unlatch motor is operational.

Open the tailgate and trigger the latch closed with a screwdriver. Then see if it unlatches with either the fob or unlock button.

This will exclude any issues related to misalignment.

If it still doesn't unlatch, then it would be down to

1. Unlock signal actually confirmed at the lock assembly. You ideally need a wiring diagram and a multimeter for this.

2. Wiring integrity as gregers says.

3. The lock/latch motor itself. There is a TSB out on this, so it isn't an isolated issue as one might assume.

Lock solenoids can fail, a replacement one wouldn't take too long to fit.

• 5 years later...

Hi I have an 08 smax and the boot and the back window wiper and the gas hack all stop working can anyone help please 

• 4 months later...
On 5/15/2015 at 9:20 PM, darts180cars said:

My neighbour has a 2007 Galaxy S-Max, and the tailgate wont open. It was slammed shut, and wouldn't open again. I have managed to open the tailgate from the inside by stripping the door down, and manually releasing it with a screwdriver. I have lubed the lock with WD40 and shut it, but it wouldn't open again using the fob or the release button on the door itself. Are there any known problems with these cars?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Its fuse 25 in the central fuse box.  Had the same problem, only realised when I found of the filler cap didn't lock.  Try the filler cap and if it won't lock or unlock, thats your culprit.

• 6 months later...
On 9/1/2020 at 2:06 PM, Gaffer75 said:

Hi I have an 08 smax and the boot and the back window wiper and the gas hack all stop working can anyone help please 

Hi all - I have exactly this issue and also when I depress e brake pedal I can hear the boot unlock click as if the brake pedal is sending a signal to unlock! Weird - any help really appreciated 

• 6 months later...
On 9/1/2020 at 3:06 PM, Gaffer75 said:

Hi, do you know the problem? Do you solved it?

• 1 year later...
On 2/10/2022 at 11:41 PM, Leifford said:

Hi, do you know the problem? Do you solved it?

I have this problem too, press brake pedal and boot lock clicks but won't open. 

3 minutes ago, jimssmax said:

I have this problem too, press brake pedal and boot lock clicks but won't open. 

I guess it's a bad earth wire but hant found it yet.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club