Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise From Rear When Driving

FordMondeo 2008

Hi all,

I have a Ford Mondeo estate and sometimes when driving/breaking it makes a 'dum dum dum dum' noise from the rear of the car.

I had the oil changed yesterday and asked the garage to check the bearings, all OK.

Because it doesn't just happen when breaking i'd appreciate any advice so I can take it back to the garage with some basic information.

Thanks.

Guy

Tyres out of shape, what speed does it do it at, when cornering,or straight . ?

My 2010 Ford Focus does that too. A dum-dum-dum noise from the rear drivers side when setting off (until I get to about 30mph) then it gets quite loud at motorway speed too. It also re-appears when I'm decelerating and get to about 15mph. I too thought "wheel bearing" but it's in the garage today, and they've just rang me and said they can hear the noise but can see nothing wrong with the car! Tyres are apparently fine too.

I'll let you know if they get to the bottom of it

Bet it is the tyres., mine does it, and its one of the rear michelins, you cant see anything wrong with tyre until you feel it with your hand, swapped tyre from another car and it noise went.

Put tyre back on , lots of tread left so ignoring noise now

• Like 1

Thanks IanTT. You're absolutely right. The garage put it up on the ramp, and the rear passenger side tyre has an issue - the inside tread part has basically become shaped like a 50p, i.e. /\. As you said, you can't see anything wrong, but you can most definitely feel it when you rub your hand over it.

Like you, mine has lots of tread on, so I'm ignoring it for now. Not sure what caused the issue. The tyres weren't exactly cheap - Continental Sports Contact 5's.

Its not any tyre brand in particular, Pirelli used to be bad a few years ago

the give way is the noise at low speed,

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club