Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hissing Air Escaping Noise. 1.6 Tdci

simcor

Data log with vacuum pipe off to the turbo vane actuator. I must have a problem either with the vanes sticking or the vacuum to the actuator from what I have so far worked out, as it sounds so normal and boosts most of the time pretty well, it feels more like it used to drive before I had any problems. At higher boost it does struggle a bit at times. I really don't fancy taking the turbo off again, I have already de-coked the vanes and areas around them. So I am at a bit of a loss really.

MAP%20test%20vacuum%20pipe%20off%20actua

16 PSI at hard acceleration at least that's the maximum I could get it to read.

that sounds like the problem, you should be getting considerably more than that, effectively your running a NA 1.6 Diesel, your getting a couple of PSI boost at best.

unless of course your MAP sensor is covered in crap, might be worth popping that off to give it a good clean as well

Cleaned the Map sensor and still no different, but I have to achieving more than a couple of PSI boost as it would be so lethargic otherwise, I know what no turbo diesel cars and vans are like, spent enough time driving cars without most of the mod cons people take for granted these days on cars lol

So the question is why am I not producing enough boost with the vacuum pipe to the turbo actuator connected? It boosts a lot better without the vanes moving. Currently I am getting no error codes at all either from IDS or Forscan although I suspect turbo underboost will come back.

The only thing I am thinking is if the DPF is actually getting clogged and that is causing issues with back pressure, dunno just thinking out loud.

Although I am getting quite a lot of oil in the intake, I really need to sort the crankcase breather pipe out sooner rather than later as that is where the oil seems to come from into the air intake pipe and then into the turbo.

The dpf is a good call it can happen

the DPF is a good call and is consistent with what others have experienced.

There is some boost there, your running at a couple of PSI more than atmospheric, why wouldn't it be building up to about 30psi, either air is leaking, its not spooling up or its getting dumped.

as for the breather, http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/71753-oil-catch-can-install-16-tdci/

get yourself one of these, this engine pisses out oil at the best of times

One strange thing, even with the vacuum pipe disconnected, when I rev the car it rev's freely until a bit over 3K revs when it stutters and kicks out blue/white smoke, should have took a video. I reckon I am slowly killing my car lol

Actually that is what it does but not constantly when it is doing a DPF regeneration when I do a forced one, thinking about it it does also sound like the fan is turning off when I stop the car also.

Hmmmm not liking the sound of this.

With the MAF connected it struggles to make any boost, it smokes like a chimney and it sounds OK, with MAF disconnected it is making a bit more boost up to nearly 18psi, the smoking stops but the engine sounds noisier and the whooshing sound comes back which must be from the Turbo. I am thinking about buying a new MAF and then see if ti cures it, although I would have expected disconnecting it to make it run at default parameters and would have expected more boost and not a noisier engine.

But maybe just maybe it is just a MAF issue, the stutter at 3K revs seems to have gone as well as the smoking when revving it.

Maf could do with clean with electrical contact cleaner. They can be bought reasonably priced if needed though

I did clean the maf with contact cleaner but it made no difference, would have thought the MAF might throw up an error code but only when disconnected along with IAT error code and another that I have forgot.

nah if its dirty or corroded then it wont throw any errors, the resistance will be higher, but thats about it, and that can be enough to impact performance without the error code...

I did try something last night I did a run doing some data logging on the dpf and the temp at high speed got up to 450 degrees I am wondering if the dpf is actually blocked. Garage says either a VNT vane issue or DPF at there best guess.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club