Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Silicone Hoses

iBlob

Hi all,

This might seem like a daft question, but if you changed out the stock induction hoses and replaced them with silicone hoses, what would you declare then as?

Most insurers have a list of modifications they accept and/or you can make and the closest option would be an induction kit, but it wouldn't be an induction kit as the stock airbox and filter would still be present, and silicone hoses just simply isn't an option. But as its a modification they would obviously need to be declared.

I just wanted to know if anyone could give any advice on what they have done when changing silicone hoses in the past, and what insurers views are on this

Thanks guys :)

best thing to do is ring them up and ask saying you are thinking of doing it so you will know

Most would see it as a like for like swap and would charge nothing, as its not really that much of an upgrade, its just replacing rubber for sillicone and they dont tend to offer any performance boosts.

Most would see it as a like for like swap and would charge nothing, as its not really that much of an upgrade, its just replacing rubber for sillicone and they dont tend to offer any performance boosts.

This is what I thought, and as far as performance, I'm the type of person who would take style and looks over performance any day, I thought they would make the engine bay look a lot smarter than what it looks stock

I have contacted my insurance company, to see what their take on it is, so just awaiting their reply now

This is what I thought, and as far as performance, I'm the type of person who would take style and looks over performance any day, I thought they would make the engine bay look a lot smarter than what it looks stock

I have contacted my insurance company, to see what their take on it is, so just awaiting their reply now

Let us know the verdict and if theres a premium!

• Like 1

Right, sorry for the delayed response, but I have finally managed to get in contact with my Insurance company, and they have said that I would need to declare the modification under the option "other". This would then prompt me to give a detailed explanation as to what I have changed on the car, and this would then be analysed and my premium would be calculated accordingly to see if there is a change.

However the guy that I spoke to about this change, did say that normally any change to a car that is listed as "other" is normally rejected and cannot be made to the car, regardless of what it is. I asked why this is the case, to which he replied "it is against out policy to insure a change marked as other, as this doesn't fall into specific category"

So after telling me what I would need to do to be able to declare the modification, he then informed me that they wouldn't be able to cover me for this change anyway, regardless of whether the modification is performance related or not.

So that's that, my insurer wont cover me to change over to Silicone Hoses, so this is an idea I can scrap all together :(

Has anyone else encountered anything like this from their insurer?

Adrian flux don't do it. Clearly your insurer are ran by idiots. They probably reject a sticker in the rear window...

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Adrian flux don't do it. Clearly your insurer are ran by idiots. They probably reject a sticker in the rear window...

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

It's something I'll have to live with as I'm not prepared to swap over insurers just to have the hoses on the car and declared.

It just seems silly to give you the option to declare it as "other" when they know that they won't allow the changes to be made in the first place, regardless of what they are

• Like 1

Hi,

When your insurance is due for renewal then please feel free to give us a try. I'd be only too pleased to help out.

Regards,

Dan.

• 1 month later...

i'm with aviva and they alread knew i had the mountune induction kit and when i informed them i was going to be putting the charge pipe/ silicone hose upgrade from mountune, there was no charge. i was stunned. but i did give them the link to their website

It's something I'll have to live with as I'm not prepared to swap over insurers just to have the hoses on the car and declared.

It just seems silly to give you the option to declare it as "other" when they know that they won't allow the changes to be made in the first place, regardless of what they are

It's hard to be an honest person trying to keep yourself right it would seem.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club