Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slime- Tyre Repair Sealant That Doesn't Destroy The Tyre

Dicky68

Just came across this article on the Honest John website. Apparently you squirt Slime into your punctured tyre, inflate and drive off. The tyre can then be cleaned and a professional repair carried out.

It only seems to be available from USA but has anyone know anything about it or better still used it?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/parts-and-accessories/2011-08/slime/

Just came across this article on the Honest John website. Apparently you squirt Slime into your punctured tyre, inflate and drive off. The tyre can then be cleaned and a professional repair carried out.

It only seems to be available from USA but has anyone know anything about it or better still used it?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/parts-and-accessories/2011-08/slime/

sounds to good to be true could put tyre retailers out of business if eve :lol: ry body used this product

Does sound to good to be true hence my post. I don't like the idea of using the supplied latex stuff and having to buy a new tyre as a result. I wonder how many members have bought themselves a spare wheel to use?

nor do i,thats why i bought another 18" alloy and straped it to 1 of the middle seats,oh and a jack thats capable of lifting 2 tonnes.

That seems to be the best bet. I'm currently looking into a tyre repair kit as well. I understand you get some sort of insertion tool and rubber buns. You fit the Bing into the too, push it into the tyre hole and remove the tool. Might be an option.

A pal of mine swears by a screw. Not the sexual kind you understand but the wood or self tapper variety. He finds the nail, removes it then screws in the screw. It's worked for him three times apparently.

ive put in in bike tyres ,but not cars , never had a problem .the only time you know you've had a puncture is you see a green mark on the tyre

Ive just noticed that the RAC shop sells Slime and their own variant, both can be washed off.

Can't say I'd trust a 'repaired' tyre, it would be OK to get you home, if the spare was already in use :huh: .

But I would replace the damaged as soon as was possible :)

• Like 3

No, no way, roadside repairs are only to get you home or to a tyre repair centre (at low speed) and to save you destroying what might be a good tyre.

Unfortunately all options have a downside it's picking the one you can live with best.

1)Use the latex, destroy your tyre, on site repair hassle, not 100% fix, expensive latex replacement.

2)Use slime, save your tyre, on site hassle, not 100% fix, less expensive slime replacement

3)Use repair kit, save your tyre, on site repair hassle, get several cheap repairs

4)Carry a spare wheel, save your tyre, less onsite hassle, storage hassle, no replacement costs

5)Buy a car with a spare wheel, less on site hassle, use savings to buy a couple of pints

Option 5 has a nice ring to it. Ha ha

• Like 2

Has anyone come up with a good method of securing the spare wheel?

• 2 months later...

Depending on the repair kit 'gunge' some kits use a water based type, that is washable. None of these inflation kits work on a large hole, but are OK with a screw or nail in the tyre.

I bought a Mondeo 16" steel wheel and fitted a tyre to give the same rolling diameter. £15 for the wheel and £20 for a good part with tyre, fitted and balanced. A cheap new tyre could be had for about £45.

Sadly, I usually forget to put it in the car; and you need a jack to lift 1.5 tonnes (not even that, but err on the side of caution) and a wheelbrace.

Securing the wheel isn't too difficult, but unless it is actually bolted to the vehicle structure, it's not 100% safe and as such an MOT failure. Take it out for that ;-)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club