Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor starting

john j

I have an intermittent starting problem on my Fusion 1.4 tdci. It can happen when the engine is hot or cold. They'res plenty of power in the battery and starter spins engine very good but it just doesn't fire up. Eventually engine will start. There's nothing wrong with the the way the car is running. I was wondering if the problem could be water and/or air in the fuel but surely this would affect the running.

Might have to do a leak off test on the injectors - usually if there is one that is leaking off too much diesel the pressure in the whole system reduces which can mean its harder to start as the pressure doesn't get high enough for starting but its fine once running as the pump is spinning faster etc. What sort of mileage does the car have?

Have a similar problem. I had my injector seals replaced last week (£400). Done about 20 miles since repair but have now intermittent starting. Cannot get car started this morning though battery is fairly new. battery light stays on. Passed mot yesterday! 

When it runs sounds ok.

Any ideas/suggestions gratefully received.

29 minutes ago, Gr said:

Have a similar problem. I had my injector seals replaced last week (£400). Done about 20 miles since repair but have now intermittent starting. Cannot get car started this morning though battery is fairly new. Battery light stays on. Passed mot yesterday! 

When it runs sounds ok.

Any ideas/suggestions gratefully received.

I take it that you have changed the fuel filter etc? Might now be a time to check the glow plugs - does it make a difference at what temperature you try and start the car?

Next time it wont start, open the bonnet and pump the primer pump for 10-15s3conds and try starting it again, then post on here if it started better or not

3 hours ago, iantt said:

Next time it wont start, open the bonnet and pump the primer pump for 10-15s3conds and try starting it again, then post on here if it started better or not

I was thinking this.

Also there is a known issue with the early version of the plastic pipes on the low-pressure side of the system that includes the bulb whereby pin-holes can develop in the tubes, such that the fuel inside keeps them closed when running, but overnight you can get air ingress. It can be due to engine vibrations causing rubbing, often with the long section that goes under the airbox

• 3 years later...

Hello All 

I don't know if this will fix your problem but so far it has resolved mine.

I have a 2015 fusion Se with a 1.5 and purchased the car and drove it away.  Shortly after loading it on the trailer the car refused to crank   All the dash lights came on as they should but the engine refused to crank.   I let it set, came back and it started right up.   I drove it for about a day and jumped in it the next morning started right up no issues, parked it and it again refused to start..   Well to make a long story short I finally broke down and to it to my local ford dealer.   The mechanic did the wiring continuity test and it had a P06e9 code diagnosing the ECM as the issue.  They replaced the ECM and it started right up leading them to believe the issue was solved until the problem returned after a day or so of them running it.  To come to the conclusion the Leroy found a wire in the harness in the ECM are  that was making an intermittent connection.   He fixed that wire in the connector and WALLLA problem fixed, starts every time.    Hope this helps someone out there, take a look at the wire harnesses down by the PCM for a loose wire in the connectors.  

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club