Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

A bit of general advice

Preecematt

Evening all,

Basically I want to change my career, I'm currently in farming  & want to get out.  I want to go back to cars which I have qualifications in but because of no experience at the time + the other half I ended up in farming.  Now as I'm an adult and have adult responsibilities(mortgage & kids) how do I go about the training.  I want to do a welding course(that's easy enough 3 hours a week on a wednesday night) but I want to do a panel beating course/paint spraying & also finish my level 3.  Any help & advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Matt 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Preecematt said:

Evening all,

Basically I want to change my career, I'm currently in farming  & want to get out.  I want to go back to cars which I have qualifications in but because of no experience at the time + the other half I ended up in farming.  Now as I'm an adult and have adult responsibilities(mortgage & kids) how do I go about the training.  I want to do a welding course(that's easy enough 3 hours a week on a wednesday night) but I want to do a panel beating course/paint spraying & also finish my level 3.  Any help & advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Matt 

Is there any pharmaceutical companies close to you?

Manufacturing operator A.K.A "Scoop Monkey" 

Top pay and shift work 

3 hours ago, Lenny said:

Is there any pharmaceutical companies close to you?

Manufacturing operator A.K.A "Scoop Monkey" 

Top pay and shift work 

There's Muller & a pie company which is 4 on 4 off but the pay isn't ideal.  Jaguar want a engine builder which is ridiculously good money but I didn't get the job lol

• Like 1

Was worth a shot though lol

Might be worth chatting to a few local garages - they might be able to point you in the right direction - maybe even offer you some work experience

• Like 1

and you think the motortrade is better paid than farming?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iantt said:

It isn't all about money Ian.  As long as you can pay the bills, 10% more enjoyment is worth more than 50% more salary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iantt said:

I'm hoping you've heard all the biased stuff in the media about farming being on it's backside?  There's no future in british farming anymore + farming is only better paid than motortrade because of the amount of hours.  I want to know my kids & remember what spending time with my wife felt like lol.  Plus I'm not going to get where I want to be in life, being in farming, so I'd rather get out sooner rather than later if you get me

3 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

It isn't all about money Ian.  As long as you can pay the bills, 10% more enjoyment is worth more than 50% more salary.

For me it's more work life balance.  I want my kids to know who I am, no point in x amount of years when I'm on my deathbed, oh so what have you done in life?  Worked, thats it.  I haven't got any memories as such with my kids, missed all the first things.  Yes I accept that's life + part of the mans job is to go and be the breadwinner but I'm just fed up with it now.  My parents didn't do anything with me/go and watch anything I did.  I don't want my kids experiencing that, however It's catch 22 as I'm working the hours I am, so that my kids don't grow up how I did.  It's harder to explain on here than it actually is lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SeanW said:

Was worth a shot though lol

Might be worth chatting to a few local garages - they might be able to point you in the right direction - maybe even offer you some work experience

There is a coachworks + 2 bodyshops by me & they all said try college, right that's helpful.  Didn't point me in a specific direction, just said your best bet is try college & see what they suggest.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Preecematt said:

For me it's more work life balance.  I want my kids to know who I am, no point in x amount of years when I'm on my deathbed, oh so what have you done in life?  Worked, thats it.  I haven't got any memories as such with my kids, missed all the first things.  Yes I accept that's life + part of the mans job is to go and be the breadwinner but I'm just fed up with it now.  My parents didn't do anything with me/go and watch anything I did.  I don't want my kids experiencing that, however It's catch 22 as I'm working the hours I am, so that my kids don't grow up how I did.  It's harder to explain on here than it actually is lol

I know what you mean though Matt.  It is a case of being there but not being able to do anything (no money), or earning money (thus providing) but not being there.  If you can find a happy medium, then that is where you need to be.  I know it is considered old fashioned now, but if you can provide enough for your wife to be a full-time mother to your children and you to be there at least 50% of the time, that is a LOT better than most children get these days. 

10 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

I know what you mean though Matt.  It is a case of being there but not being able to do anything (no money), or earning money (thus providing) but not being there.  If you can find a happy medium, then that is where you need to be.  I know it is considered old fashioned now, but if you can provide enough for your wife to be a full-time mother to your children and you to be there at least 50% of the time, that is a LOT better than most children get these days. 

Both of my parents worked & it was rubbish lol.  Trouble is if I want to be at home more, then I need to take a drop in hours but that = less wage & I'm not applying for benefits or anything, the only one's we get are Child Benefit but that's statutory & I'm quite pleased with that.  Its a pain in the backside, shouldn't be this difficult:wacko:

• Like 1