Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Mystery Weed?

GMX

This appeared in my front garden in early spring, probably from some passing bird, i thought I'd let grow awhile and see what it was. Before it flowered, it looked like an accidental wallflower..

Despite spending a few hours now pouring through the RHS and USDA databases, other than it's obvious it's within the Asteracea family, from it's flower structure. I cannot identify it.:unsure::sad:

The flower structure passing resemblance to some Senecios and also Kleinia longiflora: however, the leaves and stems are different  weed.jpg

A close up of the flowers

weed flowers.jpg

• Like 1

Have you tried drying it out and rolling it with some mild Tobacco 😯

• Like 3

I'm glad it's not just me that got the wrong idea from the title...  Was expecting his dog to have uncovered someones stash and brought it home! :laugh:

But seriously I have no idea what that is. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm glad it's not just me that got the wrong idea from the title...  Was expecting his dog to have uncovered someones stash and brought it home! :laugh:

☺😯😀😁😂😭😂😁😀😉

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Me too!

• Like 3

On 02/06/2016 at 10:13 AM, JayG90 said:

That's another very similar plant but the leaves aren't right and it's not downy

My mystery weed has lanceolate leaves.  The whole plant is covered with a downy fur like a peach.

Take the pictures to a garden centre and see what they can tell you

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

Take the pictures to a garden centre and see what they can tell you

That's a good idea:smile:

Apparently, Kew have a plant id service but it costs around £50 per sample

• 2 weeks later...

I had to get some more seaweed extract this afternoon at the nursery, so I took a limb from the weed with me.

The consensus of opinion, is that is indeed a variety (or sport of) of Baccharis halimifolia  (AKA woody groundsel or groundsel bush) which was also suggested by Jamie.(JayG90) earlier. 

They also said it's ultra-invasive, and unless I want an entire garden full it by next year, it's best to remove it.

• Like 1