Do Not Sell My Personal Information

fitting intercooler

sdnm123

hi i was just wanted to know i have a 2011 1.4 tdci and wanted to know has anyone fitted a intercooler to the 1.4 tdci and does it make a diffrence

35 minutes ago, sdnm123 said:

hi i was just wanted to know i have a 2011 1.4 tdci and wanted to know has anyone fitted a intercooler to the 1.4 tdci and does it make a diffrence

There have been intercoolers fitted before, check out some of the 1.4 HDi intercooler photos (same engine) - basically you just need to use the 1.6 TDCi pipework from the turbo and route the piping.

As for a difference it would depend, if you are running stock boost then probably not, its only if you are pushing the turbo to higher boost it makes sense - the higher boost on a smaller turbo is inefficient so there is much more heat. A hot intake isn't ideal but isn't as bad as if it were a petrol, my 1.5 DCi Clio had an intercooler - mine had 80bhp, the base model without the intercooler had 65bhp. 

Fitting an intercooler will give an extra level of safety and headroom if you are planning to mod the engine although there are remaps that push the engine to around 90bhp without the need for an intercooler. Basically a fully maxxed out 1.4 TDCi is probably going to end up as powerful as a stock 1.6 TDCi engine - I might look into remapping mine a bit but I won't be getting to the stage where I need an intercooler.

If you are looking for a performance boost on the engine, get a remap, they apparently respond really well to a remap, also look at intake and exhaust mods and service the engine fully (also run some neat diesel purge through the injectors).

• Like 1

thanks i was thinking about a remap i was told that it would be hard to find somone that would remap it was told it is hard to get done might have to phone around a few places thanks for the help i would like to get to about 100bhp

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sdnm123 said:

thanks i was thinking about a remap i was told that it would be hard to find somone that would remap it was told it is hard to get done might have to phone around a few places thanks for the help i would like to get to about 100bhp

There are loads of places that do a 1.4 TDCi remap, just don't forget to uprate other parts, the increase of power and torque will probably also mean you will need to get an uprated clutch.

http://www.angeltuning.co.uk/fiesta-1-4-tdci-remapping-tuning/

https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/services/performance-stats/ford/fiesta-2008/diesel/1-4-tdci-69-bhp-2008/economy

• Like 2

Might be cheaper & less aggravation to just buy a more powerful car.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, E5GDM said:

Yep, its why I am not really going to go for much power in mine, just throttle response, if you max the smaller engine out it will make the same power as the slightly larger engine - cheaper to get the more powerful car.

1 hour ago, m1tch said:

Yep, its why I am not really going to go for much power in mine, just throttle response, if you max the smaller engine out it will make the same power as the slightly larger engine - cheaper to get the more powerful car.

Have you blanked the egr valve yet?

Reason I ask is because aside from the cleaner running of the engine it also reduces turbo lag a bit, link: 

Also recommended upgrading to a Green Cotton induction filter link: 

• Like 1

Plenty of good advice above @sdnm123,with mods it's never ending & gets expensive uprating this,that & the other. Also don't forget to notify your Insurance Company & your brakes should be upgraded as well,if you're going to be going quicker then you need to be able to stop quicker as well. 

• Like 1

yeah thanks i have been looking at induction kits and zorst i not blanked the egr was told that it could damage the engine it has onlt 2000 miles would it be worth doing little mods first before the remap

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdnm123 said:

yeah thanks i have been looking at induction kits and zorst i not blanked the egr was told that it could damage the engine it has onlt 2000 miles would it be worth doing little mods first before the remap

Definitely worth blanking the egr valve and upgrading the induction filter as stand alone upgrades 

they would also help you get the most from your remap too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sdnm123 said:

thanks for all the help

Definitely blank the EGR, it will save all sorts of issues in the future, although the remap usually includes an EGR delete option - suggest that you go with a remap, induction kit and exhaust upgrade to improve turbo spool (although the turbo is tiny!). 

• Like 2

is the 1.6 turbo the same as the 1.4 if not is it worth upgrading the turbo

26 minutes ago, sdnm123 said:

is the 1.6 turbo the same as the 1.4 if not is it worth upgrading the turbo

They will be different, the 1.4 I believe is the KP35 which is also fitted on the Renault 1.5 DCi engines (I had a Clio 1.5 DCi before the Fiesta).

I think the 1.6 TDCi turbo is a Garrett GT1544V - its a variable turbo rather than a wastegated turbo on the 1.4 TDCi, I think there are hybrid KP35 turbos out there with a larger compressor wheel if you are looking for some more power.

I would however mention that its more cost effective to sell the current car and go for the more powerful 1.6TDCi if that is what you are after (although many DV6 engine issues!) - best to go with some light mods on the 1.4 TDCi for the best 'bang for your buck' and spend the rest on keeping the engine well serviced and looked after.

• Like 2

Also wanted to mention, there might be an easy way to fit an intercooler without needing additional 1.6 TDCi pipes - you could simply clock the turbo around slightly by loosening the compressor housing bolts and rotate everything forward slightly. This would give access to the intake over the top of the 'TDCI pipe' and give you clearance on the turbo outlet but as I said, its probably not worth it unless pushing more boost.

On 16/06/2016 at 5:54 PM, E5GDM said:

And get stuck behind the 30 sticklers.

Hi Mark ;)

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I always thought the turbo gives power but slightly less efficient and the intercooler makes it much more efficient, this is based on a bigger engine though

I like the sound of getting the most out of a small engine, if modern standard's are anything to go by you it should be to get 150hp from a 1000cc

Also if the turbo from 16 is variable how do you get it to work, the actuators powered by the computer isn't it, can you include it in the remap or swap the email aswell nooooo

Has anyone dun it? yeh let's have look

Ok this engine is very restricted, made by Peugeot with a twincam head 90hp in the c3 hdi,susuki,Clio and something s else.

Getting the airways better to the turbo can give you 50torqes let alone freeing up the exhaust,the filters and cheep muffins are a big restriction

The best intercooler I've seen was on a rental lagoon it's barley a inch thick and it sat across the howl raideater perfect you no just the way it should be,must be

The 16Lt variable turbo sounds good if you can control it or there are hybrids for £250 whatever thay are 

Then With a remapping you'll easily be getting hp200 350 torques 

Hehehe good luck! 

Maybe upgrade brakes, clutch and box to a

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club