Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Engine won't start

Nezp

Sorry new to this but I have a focus titanium 06 keyless start/stop we've had it for 6 months now and had no problems with it however tonight after finishing work went to it opened door pressed the button and the engine tried to start (as in it makes all the right noises starter etc but engine doesn't kick in) was wondering if anyone else has had this problem 

Hi,

These sort of faults can be due to many causes, and are not uncommon.

Carefully note any lights coming up on the dash, or messages appearing, repeat the test a few times, noting any differences.

Also does the engine turn over in its usual merry way, or is it slower than normal.

Report all symptoms here as concisely & accurately as possible, there is a reasonable chance someone here can offer some useful advice then.

Peter.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Hi,

These sort of faults can be due to many causes, and are not uncommon.

Carefully note any lights coming up on the dash, or messages appearing, repeat the test a few times, noting any differences.

Also does the engine turn over in its usual merry way, or is it slower than normal.

Report all symptoms here as concisely & accurately as possible, there is a reasonable chance someone here can offer some useful advice then.

Peter.

Yes the engine turns over as usual but doesn't fire up I just tried that easy start spray and the engine kicked in then died straight after I'm thinking it may well be an immobiliser issue there are no warning lights coming on except the usual when u start up 

Seems unlikely to be immobiliser. This normally disables the starter motor, and it will completely disable the ignition and/or fuel injectors. There should also be an indicator, in my 06 Focus it is a red LED at the top of the Instrument Cluster (Between Fuel Gauge & Temp gauge). This should normally light, then go out on turning on the ignition. If there is an immobiliser problem it will continue to flash, in fact it flashes out an error code.

I am assuming it is Petrol, not diesel. (Correct me if I am wrong!), and a 2006 model (Mk2 Focus)

If the start spray makes it fire, then it stops, it sounds a bit like fuel starvation. Ignoring the fuel gauge, how many miles has it done since the last fill? Rocking the car with the fuel cap open, you should hear if there is fuel in the tank.

If there is fuel in the tank, then either the tank pump could be faulty, or the tank pump fuse could be blown, or the fuel cut-off switch could have tripped, or a pipe could be blocked, or there could be a problem with the injection system. I would expect most injection system problems to put the engine warning light on, however.

My advice:

Repeat the easy start spray test to verify same result. (fire up then stop)

Double check fuel in tank as above.

Check Cut-off inertia switch. (A bump, like a big pot-hole, can trigger this).It should be in the side panel in front of the passenger front door. The button will be raised if it is active (cut-off). Try pushing it in.

Check tank pump fuse. (F51 on my car), in the fusebox under the glove box. The lid should have a list on it.

Crank engine for 5-10 sec (max), see if you can smell petrol in the exhaust.

Wait a while (couple of minutes at least) between cranking attempts, especially if can smell fuel in the exhaust, to allow any fuel build up in the CAT to disperse.

Double check for odd lights or messages.

Please Post your results (positive, or negative!) back here.

Peter

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club