Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Start/Stop Problems

Slate

Hi guys, I know this subject may have been covered before and answers given but I can't find find it. I have a 2012 Focus Titanium 1.6 ecoboost (150) and the start stop system does not work and has not worked for some time but has never bothered me up until now. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be the cause or a technical bulletin regarding this problem as I don't believe I am the only one who has experience of this. Incidentally, a strange thing happened over a year ago when the battery needed disconnecting for a separate issue and when I got the car back, the start stop was miraculously working again. Needless to say it did not last too long. I have had it suggested to me that the clutch pedal switch may be faulty but the car is push button start and requires the clutch to be depressed to start and the car does recognise when the clutch pedal is depressed or not. Any ideas would be gratefully received, thanks in advance.

Pat

I have exactly the same model and engine as you. My stop start is also very, very sensitive as to when it will work and when it won't. For example, after a long 100+ mile run it'll work fine for a while probably because the battery has been charged up. If you only do short trips or leave the car standing for a while it won't operate; my guess it the electrical systems on the car still need some power when it's powered off, hence it drains down a bit. I don't think you have a problem personally, just how this model/engine is.

Aside, when you start your car from hot do you get a distinctive clunking/rattle noise coming from the engine bay/gearbox area? Have you had any clutch/DMF issues is general?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If clutch pedal switch wasn't working, then keyless start would not work, which I believe you have on the titanium.

Does sound like it is just battery, particularly if you don't do enough miles.

My mum's 1.0 hasn't done it for ages, because she mostly just goes around town in it, to the shops and back. It's a 2012 car, so even if it got a long journey now, I'm not sure the battery will ever hold enough charge now to enable it again.

• Like 1

I had this problem on a 2012 titanium  1.0 ecoboost I had before my current car.  The problem was a battery lead and is a known easy fix.  I had it done under warranty so can't give any indication of cost  but I'm  pretty sure that will be identified as your problem.

no known issues as such, a lot depends on the state of charge of battery, and if battery is a few yrs old then chances are its not keeping  its charge sufficiently to let stop start work. 

one or two on here have had battery monitoring sensor issues which after replacement fix there cars. 

as alex says clutch switch not likely if you have functioning keyless start. 

for those with normal key, the clutch switch can easily be checked by driving in first then stalling car, take out of gear, press clutch and car should start. 

I had a very similar experience with my 2011 1.6 ecoboost shortly after getting it. It seemed to work every now and then but that was it. 

I think it was on here I searched and tried a couple of things charging the battery fully for starters which then only made it work for a day or three.

Then about 5 or 6 months one of the suggestions was to reset the voltage monitor I believe it was......can't remember of the top of my head how I did it. It was a straightforward button/menu or three on the dash and for me it worked. 

I only do mainly short journeys and without the air con on it is still working 9 times out of 10 when I stop. Even with the air con on it still kicks in quite often even with my shorts runs.

This issue has been raised many times with varying results from many drivers. I have the 1L Ecoboost and it has worked faultless since new. The car is now 3 years old and my weekly mileage is 4 miles each way to and from work with a couple of sets of lights enroute. Even after a couple of minutes driving in the summer the stop/start works ok and winter time it will also work after 5 minutes. Must be a lucky one.

Mine on the 1.0 Ecoboost with 20K miles on it has only worked sporadically since I bought it in January. No rhyme or reason, even after an 80-mile dual-carriageway cruise in the latest hot weather it hasn't worked  even without the A/C on. I'm really not bothered though, at least it's saving wear and tear on the battery and starter.

Guys, thanks for your replies. Dave 1987, no other problems with the car, no noises, nothing. It's only done 25000 miles from new as I only live about 16 miles round trip from work and they are motorway miles. Maybe I'm wrong but would that not be enough to keep the battery well charged?

mine works after about 1/4 mile, and do 9miles each way to work and back. works nearly all the time i stop, except for the odd day for no reason at all. 3yrs old, 47k.

I had this problem on my 13 plate Ecoboost.   It was under a years warranty so I insisted that Ford sorted it out.   They had the car back twice, the second time for a week.   They eventually fitted a new battery monitor module and it's worked perfectly ever since.

I've heard it said that it doesn't work if you have the air con on.   This is not so.   It's baking hot today and I set off on a 20 mile drive with the air con on.   At first the stop/start didn't work but when the car cooled down to the temperature set on the air con it did work.   I sat in traffic for about 5 minutes at one stage and the car gradually heated up again and the engine started automatically.

• 3 years later...

I have a Focus Vignale 2018 and that to has a problem with the  stop start it has hardly ever worked in 12 months. Have had it back to Fords  a number of times, all sorts of excuse's

battery flat to excess tyre pressure. Don't think anyone knows what the problem is. Fords charge you for something that does not work, typical of car manufacturer. Looks like we will just have to live with being conned. Any one knows the solution please post on this forum

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My wife has a longer commute than me and her ss works most of the time.  My SS only works at the end of my shorter commute.

26 minutes ago, 001Phil said:

I have a Focus Vignale 2018 and that to has a problem with the  stop start it has hardly ever worked in 12 months. Have had it back to Fords  a number of times, all sorts of excuse's

battery flat to excess tyre pressure. Don't think anyone knows what the problem is. Fords charge you for something that does not work, typical of car manufacturer. Looks like we will just have to live with being conned. Any one knows the solution please post on this forum

Do you do mostly short journeys? 

The Vignale does have a lot of electrical consumers, and I'm assuming you leave the climate on 'auto' as well.  If so, it will only stop once the cabin is at the desired temperature.

It is now 51 weeks since my stop/start last worked on a 2012 Focus. I'm fine with it. I think that the purpose of the system is to avoid gassing pedestrians whilst I wait at the lights rather than to save me fuel. I'm still on the original 7 year old battery which I suspect is the reason for the stop/start not working. Whilst the battery will still start the car in the mornings I'm not buying a new one.

• Like 1

there was another post about disabling this feature at the weekend

it seems to have been wiped of the forum as it clearly indicated its main purpose was to sell more cars.  The Start Stop feature causes premature engine failure linked to the additional stress on the cam drive mechanism

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have just seen this message and have the same issue. I have a Focus Titanium eco boost. Have had issues with the stop/start for 4 months. Had new battery problem still there. This week I have had two engine malfunction messages for slipped clutch. The mechanic said that there is a switch on the clutch for the auto stop and this had also broken. I’ve got the car back and the problem is solved. Had took it in to a dealership and independent garage. It was the independent that located the problem. I have read it is sometime battery issues so don’t want to worry you my problem was I needed a new clutch. It’s a 63 reg with 60,000 miles.

• 7 months later...

Get your battery tested.i had this problem and rac said it was battery.had new one and no problems since.

My engine stopped running at the traffic lights today, thought I'd stalled it, but no it's the annual day of stop start working 😂

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Updated Successfully to F9 Maps (11/07/20) and to my surprise ‘stop start’ started to work again for reasons only known to the ECU.  The only thing I can think of is that during the update and after a drive of approx 45mins I parked up and left the engine running while the second part of the update/install took place.  

While parked, with the engine running I got a dashboard warning that the engine will turn off within the next 30 seconds unless I cancel the warning by pressing the OK button on the steering wheel, which I did. A short time later the installation complete message was displayed and I turned off the engine, got out and locked the car.

About an hour later went for a drive and the stop & start worked for the first time since December 2019. (2018 Focus 1.5 diesel titanium).  The following morning I put a volt meter on the battery and recorded 12.8 V - normally it read 12.2 to 12.4 volts ......  15/07/20 and SS is still working .....for now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Preston focus said:

Updated Successfully to F9 Maps (11/07/20)

How did you get the update? House wifi? Ford.c.uk website? 

Big difference from F8? 

I won’t be downloading from a Russian website! Is it finally , officially released in uk now? 

only for vehicles running Sync3.0 not later versions

So we’re being penalised for having newer software already. 

so for people on 3.0 it’s been officially released in uk? 

10 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

So we’re being penalised for having newer software already. 

so for people on 3.0 it’s been officially released in uk? 

Yes, we have F9 on our 17 plate Kuga but only F8 on the 20 plate Focus.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club