Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 2011 MK3 - Tips to keep it well maintained?

skyking_comms

Just purchased a 1.6 TDCI 2011 Zetec Hatch MK3 115 bhp. It's got 62,000 miles on the clock with a full service history - only the last service wasn't done at a Ford Garage.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on ensuring the car is maintained well or any mods that are recommended?

I heard that to avoid turbo problems it's wise to get a service every 12,500 miles or once a year. Hoping to avoid any problems before they happen so appreciate any advice!

Also I own a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone and looking for a holder that fits well in the focus - any ideas?

Thanks,

Darren

From what I have read, the servicing needs to be every 6,000 miles to stop something going bang.

8 hours ago, skyking_comms said:

Just purchased a 1.6 TDCI 2011 Zetec Hatch MK3 115 bhp. It's got 62,000 miles on the clock with a full service history - only the last service wasn't done at a Ford Garage.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on ensuring the car is maintained well or any mods that are recommended?

I heard that to avoid turbo problems it's wise to get a service every 12,500 miles or once a year. Hoping to avoid any problems before they happen so appreciate any advice!

Also I own a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone and looking for a holder that fits well in the focus - any ideas?

Thanks,

Darren

simple things like oil, filter and air filter change will keep the car running nice (oil/filter change every 6th months, air filter once a year)

The Focus MK3 has a newer version of the 1.6 TDCI which compared to its predecessor has very few known problems.

All 1.6 TDCI engines belong to the Ford DLD engine family. The 1.6 TDCI is called DLD-416 where the number refers to the amount of cilinders and engine displacement.

The older problematic version of the 1.6 TDCI is the 16-valve version of this engine. This engine is called DV6 (which is basically the PSA name for this engine). This type of engine is used in the Focus MK2/MK2.5.

The newer much better version is the 8-valve version of this engine. This engine is called DV6C, DV6D or DV6F. This type of engine is used in the Focus MK3. The 1.5 TDCI that is used in the Focus MK3.5 is called DV5 and is basically a further development of the DV6F.

As said the newer 8-valve version of the 1.6 TDCI has very few problems. In my opinion the 115 HP version is the most reliable version. The 95 HP and 105 HP version have additional parts to reduce emissions. For example an extra fuel injector in the exhaust to inject extra fuel during DPF regeneration. This system is known to cause problems because the injector becomes clogged which prevents the DPF from regenerating. The 115 HP version does not have these additional parts which makes it more reliable.

The newer 8-valve versions of the 1.6 TDCI do still have a relative small sump. The amount of oil in the sump is only 3.85 L which is not much for a diesel engine. Despite the prescribed service interval of 20.000 KM/12500 MLS should be fine I personally would use a reduced service interval of 15.000 KM/9500 MLS.

Agree with the above posts. 

Great engine, much better than the 16v version.

I change the oil every 6 months and oil filter, air filter and pollen filter every 12 months. Fuel filter I get the Ford garage to change when it gets its mot. 

U can upgrade the headlight bulbs to Philips x treme vision 130%, makes a brighter pattern much better for seeing in the dark.

led panel either side in the boot in place of the normal 5w bulb, makes a huge difference.

mudflaps are also worth getting but not sure they would fit on on Zetec with side skirts !

Got any pics of your new car ? 

12 hours ago, GaryPL said:

From what I have read, the servicing needs to be every 6,000 miles to stop something going bang.

Don't agree with that post. What will go bang if you don't service it every 6000 miles ? 

as wilko jw1982 says, this later engine is more reliable , still have occasional injector issues. also dont leave fuel filter change until 37.5k ml intervals, change at 25k.

5 hours ago, drsdriver said:

Don't agree with that post. What will go bang if you don't service it every 6000 miles ? 

That is a reference to the older MK2.5 engine. Everyone assumes that they carried it over into the MK3 of which they didn't.

• Like 1

The ultimate way to keep your diesel car running well is to do the miles. Don't do short trips but if you do the take it for a spin and drive it like you stole it.

Change oil and filter each 6k miles and fuel filter every 10-12k miles.

Use premium fuels.

Most of all is enjoy your car.

Considering I got rid of my focus only 4 weeks ago for the life of me I can't remember where I placed my note 4. I think I put it where the twin cup holders are (within easy reach lol)

Thank you all for the replies - I have learnt more from the above responses than I have from all the research I did before buying the car!

I'm going to follow the advice on oil and Filter Changes every 6k and will change the oil filter earlier than recommended in the service book.

I never knew much about the Engine change on the MK3, only that there were some modifications which improved reliability. It's useful to know it changed from 16v to 8v, plus I didn't realise there were so many different BHP versions!

I'm really enjoying driving it and it drives very similar to a Focus 1.5 TDCI rental vehicle that I've had over the last couple of weeks.

I bought the car private, which saved me a lot of cash. The only niggles I have so far -

-  The windscreen washer jets aren't working on the front or back windscreens. I can hear the motor working and the wipers move but no water comes out. Presume pipe is blocked somewhere? 

- Pulling away in first gear there's a tendancy to pull away too quick - like a jolt. I thought it was my seating position when my foot was on the clutch, but it made no difference. The 1.5 TDCI feels much more refined. But all other gear changes are extrmeley smooth.

I'm going to take the car to Ford for a full inspection ensuring all updates have been carried out and will mention the above items.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club