Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus EGR valve

Waynek1

Hi guys

i'm in need of some advice regarding my 07, diesels focus estate. For the last couple of weeks when accelerating the car at around 2000 rpm makes a whooshing noise for a split second. Yesterday the engine management light came on, so took it to local garage whom we know well. After hooking it up to the diagnostic machine, it's come back with an EGR fault. However guy says, the EGR on this model is in the manifold and a expensive to replace-around £600-£700 all in as such. He said car isn't loosing power and can't see any split hoses etc so far now to see if it it starts showing signs that it's defiantly the EGR as he doesn't want me to fill out for that to be replaced if it doesn't solve the issue. Can any shed some light on this if possible, I really have no clue when it comes to cars so. Cheers

5 hours ago, Waynek1 said:

Hi guys

i'm in need of some advice regarding my 07, diesels focus estate. For the last couple of weeks when accelerating the car at around 2000 rpm makes a whooshing noise for a split second. Yesterday the engine management light came on, so took it to local garage whom we know well. After hooking it up to the diagnostic machine, it's come back with an EGR fault. However guy says, the EGR on this model is in the manifold and a expensive to replace-around £600-£700 all in as such. He said car isn't loosing power and can't see any split hoses etc so far now to see if it it starts showing signs that it's defiantly the EGR as he doesn't want me to fill out for that to be replaced if it doesn't solve the issue. Can any shed some light on this if possible, I really have no clue when it comes to cars so. Cheers

Much cheaper to have the ecu remapped to eliminate communication with the EGR valve also blank the egr using a stainless steel plate available from eBay.

This will stop the egr valve from ever needing replacement aswell as prolonged turbo life.

having eliminated the EGR the engine will suck in 100% induction through the air filter instead of taking 20% of induction from the exhaust gasses.

Hi there, wooshing noise as when turbo kicking in you mean?

i had this on my focus tdci I checked for split hoses couldn't see anything.

someone advised me to check the 90 degree turbo hose coming from egr valve as there prone to splitting.

from a quick visual look couldn't see anything,so I removed the pipe and under ther pipe was a split,replaced it and wooshing noise stopped.

also easy way find which pipe has split is look out in the engine bay for fresh sprays of oil marks

• Like 1

The gentleman at the garage had a look under and in the engine bay  and couldn't see and split pipes. Ran diagnostics on it and the EGR valve error came up. 

Yes the noise is sort of like s vacuum cleaner when car hits 2000rpm then dies down 

Had a similar whooshing noise on my 1.6tdci from 2000rpm but it was consistent up to the red line.  In the end it turned out to be a small split in the turbo/Intercooler pipe (the one that runs down past the power steering fluid).  

It's a 1.8 diesel, no guy just said its registering an EGR fault. I wil drop him a text tho and double check 

Am not 100% so don't quote me but I am sure any split intrercooler/turbo pipes will show as an egr on fault code.

it can be the tiniest hole in one of those pipes mate. If it's a 1.8 tdci and is this your engine bay layout.

this was the pipe on mine if same as your engine it's the bigger pipe pal 

58089472-CB0A-4684-AC67-644841A7FB32-2293-00000185063B019B_tmp.png

8D64AA9C-D762-4251-8B1A-26EC8E4E9BAC-2293-000001850C252903_tmp.png

5DB3A81B-2EBF-47B8-A8FB-4077E3297A35-2293-000001851F5165EB_tmp.png

The mechanic checked that pipe I think but didn't removd it! I will try and see if I can run car down on Monday and ask him to quickly remove that pipe and double check it all. At the moment the engine light hasn't come back on but noise is still there

It's two jubaliee clips 1 each end n pulls off takes two mins save garage charging you.

clean with cloth mine was split underneath that pipe see

£600-700 to change an EGR valve, Jesus find a new garage that doesn't talk ballcocks.

Even an expensive EGR valve should be no more than a couple of hundred, and around a couple of hours labour to fit it. So around half that quote would be more likely.

2 hours ago, simcor said:

£600-700 to change an EGR valve, Jesus find a new garage that doesn't talk ballcocks.

Even an expensive EGR valve should be no more than a couple of hundred, and around a couple of hours labour to fit it. So around half that quote would be more likely.

I bet it is 600-700 in a garage as on the 1.8tdci it's the whole manifold with egr built in it doesn't unbolt I'd have it remapped out and forget it for good 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club