Sign in to follow this  
baggister

Thinking about getting a Fiesta ST, but ..

Recommended Posts

I have doubts about this allegedly very harsh hard ride. I've never been in one, can anyone speak from experience? Apart form rubbish roads, I live in south London, and there are a few speedbumps around as well.

I also hear its very noisy, but I understand you can do something about that weird sound piped in from the engine.

Also, I'm not a fan of the spoiler. can it be removed?

As an alternative, perhaps this "ST-Line" with 140bhp is a good drive (or maybe red/black edition) : is it quick and quiet-ish? I'm assuming its not as fast or fun as the full ST, but is it far off?

Ideally, what I would like is a normal fiesta like a Titanium, but I see them being used as learner cars everywhere and can't help feeling it's under-powered or "under-funned".

Any thoughts or advice? Ta. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a TitX with 17s on. Yeah, the ride is quite jarring at times, so I can imagine this is worse in an ST. It's also not the quietest cruiser and you know you're doing miles on the motorway. Is it worse than my old Corsa though? Probably not. That was a Design running on 16s. The Corsa was more comfortable though as the Fiesta isn't great for tall people. Seats in the Fiesta are a little more padded.

The 125 Ecoboost is a fun enough engine. Fast enough but not a traffic light burner because the gearbox is not designed to do it. Long ratios... The crappy clutch will also die very early by all accounts. It runs out of puff lower in the rev range than you'd expect.  This is especially obvious in first gear.  Sounds nice though. I'm a leisurely driver who occasionally likes to put his foot down though and for that, it's perfectly fine.

Yes, it's chuckable. Yes, it's good value on the whole. Yes, stuff will go wrong with it. Yes, there is a plethora of mods you can make and I'm sure the spoiler will come off easily enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, baggister said:

 

Any thoughts or advice? Ta. 

 

yep , take one for a test drive.

saves having to ask folk on the internet who cant really give you the answers youre lookin for.

;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, biff55 said:

yep , take one for a test drive.

saves having to ask folk on the internet who cant really give you the answers youre lookin for.

;-)

 

Fair enough!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can wait 12months the new one should be out, or very close.

You might find the ride (and looks) better on that.

I'm hoping they'll go for an RS style switchable damper....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, GaryPL said:

I have a TitX with 17s on. Yeah, the ride is quite jarring at times, so I can imagine this is worse in an ST. It's also not the quietest cruiser and you know you're doing miles on the motorway. Is it worse than my old Corsa though? Probably not. That was a Design running on 16s. The Corsa was more comfortable though as the Fiesta isn't great for tall people. Seats in the Fiesta are a little more padded.

The 125 Ecoboost is a fun enough engine. Fast enough but not a traffic light burner because the gearbox is not designed to do it. Long ratios... The crappy clutch will also die very early by all accounts. It runs out of puff lower in the rev range than you'd expect.  This is especially obvious in first gear.  Sounds nice though. I'm a leisurely driver who occasionally likes to put his foot down though and for that, it's perfectly fine.

Yes, it's chuckable. Yes, it's good value on the whole. Yes, stuff will go wrong with it. Yes, there is a plethora of mods you can make and I'm sure the spoiler will come off easily enough.

 

very helpful, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to a dealer and test drive a few different models, if you've not been in one you're only going off someone's opinion of the ride (I find it fine) and the symposer noise (is also fine), what other people don't like you might find you do, you won't know unless you try one. A short test drive isn't worth doing either really, needs to be long enough to get a good feel of the car and on a variety of roads. Not sure why you would take the spoiler off, you could change it for a lower spec models.

you could get a less sporty spec with a 125ps (might be able to get the 140ps), which is probably more suited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, baggister said:

I have doubts about this allegedly very harsh hard ride. I've never been in one, can anyone speak from experience? Apart form rubbish roads, I live in south London, and there are a few speedbumps around as well.

I also hear its very noisy, but I understand you can do something about that weird sound piped in from the engine.

Also, I'm not a fan of the spoiler. can it be removed?

As an alternative, perhaps this "ST-Line" with 140bhp is a good drive (or maybe red/black edition) : is it quick and quiet-ish? I'm assuming its not as fast or fun as the full ST, but is it far off?

Ideally, what I would like is a normal fiesta like a Titanium, but I see them being used as learner cars everywhere and can't help feeling it's under-powered or "under-funned".

Any thoughts or advice? Ta. 

 

 

 

 

I have a 1.6 diesel titanium and I think its great fun to drive. I agree that road noise is on the noticeable side, but good tyres can reduce that to some degree. I'm getting mine chipped to 125bhp, so it has the comfy(er) suspension and setup but has a bit more bite when I put the foot down.

Have a test drive of the titanium and the ST and see what you think. Personally I would have the titanium diesel over the ST purely for mpg...but thats a boring thing to say!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took one for a test drive as i was considering one. I hated it. Very nippy car and potential for loads of fun but i found it too unstable on the roads; very twitchy and unpredictable (goes against everything said about it, really) The engine is great and it sounds good too especially through the symposer (same engine fitted to my current car).

Not to mention the car is small... if youre looking for something for just you then its a good idea but for taking friends about and if you plan on having a family its not the best option!

The car isnt loud unless you press the loud pedal, itll glide along nicely and almost silently unless you have an upgraded exhaust system. The ride is very firm but this can be changed using different shocks and tyres (threads on here about it).

the spoiler can be taken off but only God knows why you would do this, lol. And the MPG for this engine on a long run is high 40s sometimes low 50s but generally around 32 average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm right in saying that all ST's now have the improved ride setup from the ST 200 which should be slightly better than the older ST's prior to the 200 being released 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 666Damian666 said:

I think I'm right in saying that all ST's now have the improved ride setup from the ST 200 which should be slightly better than the older ST's prior to the 200 being released 

Yes but I've read it's only slight. If you didn't drive them both you probably won't be able to tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had the old and new setups and it isn't that much different. I've read people say it's massively different, I think they just think there is because it's a new setup.

 

Still prefer the ride and handling with the Mountune springs fitted over either OE setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds to me like you are looking for any excuse not to buy one, looks and ride quality along with awesome acceleration are what it's all about.

Personally I loved mine it's a sporty car that requires a sporty set up otherwise buy a bog basic anything.

Any car can be fast but doesn't mean it will be enjoyable

The st line 140 has a nippy engine but soft ride but you'd still have to remove the spoiler to meet your needs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I find all the Fiestas to have a pretty poor ride, even the Titanium sadly, the tyres are too low a profile for a 'comfort' model imo. :sad: You really need to drive them to see how you find them.

If you want something comfortable, you have to move up to Focus/Golf sized stuff.  But if you want a sports spec model they're usually uncomfortable anyway.

With regards to speed bumps, I can glide over them at ~20mph in the Focus no problem, I end up almost rear ending people in STs that have to practically stop for them!  Having had a mk6 ST (same daft low profile rubbish) you do have to slow to 10mph or less for them to avoid breaking your back, popping the tyre or snapping a spring, couldn't be bothered with that on a daily myself lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone: very helpful. Its hard to get a test drive, especially a long one - I'm a terrible liar haha! I'll work something out. Perhaps that STline 140bhp might be the answer.

Anyway cheers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, baggister said:

Thanks everyone: very helpful. Its hard to get a test drive, especially a long one - I'm a terrible liar haha! I'll work something out. Perhaps that STline 140bhp might be the answer.

Anyway cheers.

 

Just remember to remove the rear spoiler lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you wait till after April 1st you will be hammered with the new vehicle tax rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From first-hand back-to-back experiences here are my purely personal impressions. Initially owned a 125PS Zetec S, then a 140PS Zetec S Red Edition. (Read precursor to ST-Line). Before changing to the Red we seriously considered and experienced two good test drives in an ST. Yes, we really wanted to like it that much! These were back-to-back drives over virtually identical roads. Red to ST first, then a few days later ST to Red. 

Firstly just to get it out of the way: The Zetec S 125PS and Red 140PS versions have different gearing. The Red 140 is a more sporting drive with not only it's greater power and torque but equally if not more so (?) its lower overall gearing and resultant superior in-gear performance - all from 3 cylinders and 999cc! It also has an uprated cylinder-head gasket to the 125. However like the 125 the Red 140 is also restricted (turbo-boost I think?) in first and second gears to protect its nice-to-use (except reverse) but not over-strong five speed gearbox. Thus as someone else has already said: "it's not particularly a traffic lights special". Apart from giving a slightly more relaxed motorway drive the 125 is considered by many, myself included to be somewhat over-geared especially so in urban/town driving when it could be a real pain! For me the Reds shorter gearing is also superior in such urban/town driving and is also far superior for brisk, press-on driving/overtaking whilst still being a quiet and accomplished motorway cruiser, if using a bit more fuel.   

Back to the subject/question. We found the ST to be a cracking cross country drive, no doubt about it, confidence inspiring handling and grip in spades, overall  'driveability', power, torque, brakes, seats etc - brilliant! However the ride was left wanting and in more than one area i.e. not only on our local North Yorks tracks and 'B' roads which okay you might expect but also most noticeably at slow speed on roads that didn't look too bad but turned out to be 'noisy' and fidgety in an ST with its 50p shaped wheels!  Also as someone else most tellingly remarked to me: " went over the M62 at the weekend in brothers ST; chattered all the way there and all the way back"!  Transferring back into a Red Edition we were immediately struck with a more refined, subtle, quiet, cosseting ride, very good 'burbling 3-cyl' performance, but yes minus a lack of ultimate outright punch, and its lesser brakes (needs discs at rear? - as upcoming new one has?) and no sixth gear and inferior far less hugging seats. So, on balance for us it was the Zetec S 140 Red Edition, for now anyway! Add in an ST's higher tax/insurance/fuel/ servicing costs et'al and it was in the end a slight but sure no-brainer. With its apparently (yet to test drive) less rewarding but more subtle, forgiving, liveable ride etc perhaps a Peugeot 208 GTi next? For the time being though our Red Edition will do very nicely indeed thank you very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maltozo said:

From first-hand back-to-back experiences here are my purely personal impressions. Initially owned a 125PS Zetec S, then a 140PS Zetec S Red Edition. (Read precursor to ST-Line). Before changing to the Red we seriously considered and experienced two good test drives in an ST. Yes, we really wanted to like it that much! These were back-to-back drives over virtually identical roads. Red to ST first, then a few days later ST to Red. 

Firstly just to get it out of the way: The Zetec S 125PS and Red 140PS versions have different gearing. The Red 140 is a more sporting drive with not only it's greater power and torque but equally if not more so (?) its lower overall gearing and resultant superior in-gear performance - all from 3 cylinders and 999cc! It also has an uprated cylinder-head gasket to the 125. However like the 125 the Red 140 is also restricted (turbo-boost I think?) in first and second gears to protect its nice-to-use (except reverse) but not over-strong five speed gearbox. Thus as someone else has already said: "it's not particularly a traffic lights special". Apart from giving a slightly more relaxed motorway drive the 125 is considered by many, myself included to be somewhat over-geared especially so in urban/town driving when it could be a real pain! For me the Reds shorter gearing is also superior in urban/town driving, is also particularly better for brisk, press-on driving/overtaking and is still a quiet and accomplished motorway cruiser, if using a bit more fuel.   

Back to the subject/question. We found the ST to be a cracking cross country drive, no doubt about it, confidence inspiring handling and grip in spades, overall  'driveability', power, torque, brakes, seats etc - brilliant! However the ride was left wanting and in more than one area i.e. not only on our local North Yorks tracks and 'B' roads which okay you might expect but also most noticeably at slow speed on roads that didn't look too bad but turned out to be 'noisy' and fidgety in an ST with its 50p shaped wheels!  Also as someone else most tellingly remarked to me: " went over the M62 at the weekend in brothers ST, rattled all the way there and all the way back"!  Transferring back into a Red Edition we were immediately struck with a more refined, subtle, quiet and cosseting ride, very good 'burbling 3-cyl' performance, but minus a lack of ultimate outright punch, and its lesser brakes (needs discs at rear? - as upcoming new one has?) and no sixth gear and inferior less hugging seats. So, on balance it was the Zetec S 140 Red Edition for us, for now. Add in the STs higher tax/insurance/fuel/servicing costs et'al it was in the end a slight if sure no-brainer. (With its apparently (yet to test drive) less rewarding but more subtle, forgiving, liveable ride etc perhaps a Peugeot 208 GTi next? For the time being though our Red Edition will do very nicely indeed thank you very much!).

Well, I was going to write a proper response to this post.. but the above is almost word for word what I would have written. Exactly the same views having driven the 125, 140 (which I now own) and ST. Have owned a Red Edition for two years and it's a good balance for our roads, but fun and perfectly capable on track as well.

I'm now doing less miles so next car may be a new ST (waiting for Feb '18 for that) or a Peugeot 208 GTi is a proper contender (given that you can get a "by Peugeot" version new for £17k), but for the moment the Red Edition is fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dfriel2 said:

Well, I was going to write a proper response to this post.. but the above is almost word for word what I would have written. Exactly the same views having driven the 125, 140 (which I now own) and ST. Have owned a Red Edition for two years and it's a good balance for our roads, but fun and perfectly capable on track as well.

I'm now doing less miles so next car may be a new ST (waiting for Feb '18 for that) or a Peugeot 208 GTi is a proper contender (given that you can get a "by Peugeot" version new for £17k), but for the moment the Red Edition is fine.

Great minds and all that stuff! If its next Feb for the ST I too will probably wait but in the meantime still try and get a drive in a 208GTi.... to see what the fuss is all about 'that' love-it-hate-it steering wheel/dash setup on the road (amongst other things)...all just to satisfy my curiosity...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Maltozo said:

Great minds and all that stuff! If its next Feb for the ST I too will probably wait but in the meantime still try and get a drive in a 208GTi.... to see what the fuss is all about 'that' love-it-hate-it steering wheel/dash setup on the road (amongst other things)...all just to satisfy my curiosity...

The 208 GTi definitely needs a test drive. Then again and ahead of the next gen Fiesta, a current Mountune ST on Eibachs with a Quaife LSD might be a decent budget option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this