Sign in to follow this  
Rebecca Inkley

Ford Fiesta MK6 wont start

Hey, hoping someone can offer some advice. I have a 2002 MK6 Fiesta 1.4 and it cut out while I was driving it and wouldn't start again. My dad seems to of checked as much as he can and every now and then it gives a little splutter like he was trying to start. This morning I've had someone out to plug it in and they said the only thing come back was a anti theft system fault. Does any one have any advice? Tia

1 hour ago, Rebecca Inkley said:

Hey, hoping someone can offer some advice. I have a 2002 MK6 Fiesta 1.4 and it cut out while I was driving it and wouldn't start again. My dad seems to of checked as much as he can and every now and then it gives a little splutter like he was trying to start. This morning I've had someone out to plug it in and they said the only thing come back was a anti theft system fault. Does any one have any advice? Tia

Sounds like your immobilser may have given up the ghost. However, its most likely the chip in the key has dropped out (common in the older keyes) or is damaged.

1 hour ago, Rebecca Inkley said:

it cut out while I was driving it and wouldn't start again. My dad seems to of checked as much as he can and every now and then it gives a little splutter like he was trying to start. This morning I've had someone out to plug it in and they said the only thing come back was a anti theft system fault.

That does not sound like the Ford PATS (immobiliser) to me.

It should never, ever come in while driving, even if the PATS system fails. That would be a safety hazard, and has been designed to not happen.

PATS usually stops the engine from turning over at all, the Immobiliser LED should flash oddly & often, and the fuel injectors and ignition (if petrol) will be off, so it will not try to fire even if it does turn over.

I think it is back to the basic list of Ignition, Fuel, Compression. (Ignore ignition if 1.4TDCI!)

Spark at plugs (never turn the engine over without all plugs electrically connected. Use an old plug with a widened gap, or remove each in turn, and clamp or wire the plug to the engine where it can be seen & heard. Open circuit HT leads have been known to damage ECUs.)

Fuel: Smell of petrol / diesel in exhaust after extended cranking? (Another caution (!), crank in short bursts with much longer pauses. Starter motors are not rated for long use)

Compression: Needs a compression tester, though sluggish cranking will also give poor compression.

If you can get a decent diagnostic scanner, and post the codes here, someone may be able to help. Forscan is the best for Fords, and can be got for under £15 if used on a Windows laptop. Any generic OBD scanner will show most basic engine faults, but PATS faults and many others will only show on a Ford specific system like Forscan.