Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Silencer/back box MK6 Fiesta

LIAMSAFC

MOT was done last week on my Fiesta, one of the advisories was the current silencer/backbox was corroded, found a new replacement on a car parts website made by Klarius for £24. Wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with silencers made by them, can anyone recommend a better one for similar price or does the Klarius one i've mentioned sound a good deal anyway, thanks.

TBH try it and see at £24 you cant really go wrong if it fits well. Of course stainless steel would last a lot longer but a lot more pricy and that maybe not what you want right now.

• Like 2

Klarius are fine for the money but generally they are cheap and don't last long. Fitment of cheap exhausts can be a bit iffy, hangers sometimes need adjusted to make it sit right and sometimes the bore sizes where the pipe has been expanded for joining 2 pipes together can be a hit or a miss. Not the first time I've sent the parts guy back when I've given them a quick trial in the shop.

90% of the time though I reckon, I can get a klarius pipe to fit without incident lol. But be aware they are pretty cheap quality so don't be surprised if it's rusted out in 2 years.

• Like 2

Thanks Gizza11 + stef123

it was only an advisory. have you had a look? advisories vary hugely in standard. some will mention it is corroded when it might still last a couple of years.  also where is it corroded? if it means the pipe might snap off then that is not so good, but if it has a patch of corrosion on the box, but not where the pipe joins then I would leave it until a hole appears.  A rusty original exhaust might still outlast a poor quality new one 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LIAMSAFC said:

MOT was done last week on my Fiesta, one of the advisories was the current silencer/backbox was corroded, found a new replacement on a car parts website made by Klarius for £24. Wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with silencers made by them, can anyone recommend a better one for similar price or does the Klarius one i've mentioned sound a good deal anyway, thanks.

I'd agree with everything that's been said so far...cheaper boxes last less time, but then again at £24 you can't look too closely! You could pay more for a more long term solution, but it depends on how long you'll be keeping the car.

• Like 1

Thanks isetta + Adspam. Got a few pics to show the condition of current one, let me know what you think, cheers.

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

• Like 1

difficult to say, it looks quite rusty where the bracket is welded on at the top but I would only worry about that if it was so bad it was about to break off.

we can't see what the other end is like where the pipe goes into it. I know that is quite hard to get to to see.

I haven't really seen anything so far that would make me replace it if it was mine

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just quick update, 3 Weeks after the topic started the silencer had completely gone so go in touch with local garage. they said £75 for them to supply and fit new silencer (the Klarius one mentioned in this topics previous posts) Took it down next day dropped it off and just after getting back to the house they phoned me to tell me the centre pipe was completely gone as well,so had to get that replaced as well. Altogether came to £170, what do you guys think about that price, also got a quote for the other advisory (replacing the corroded handbrake cables) at a cost of £130. Haven't got them done yet as was wondering if you guys think that's a fair price. Anyway here some pics to show the new exhaust on the car. tbh quite liked the sound the knackered silencer gave off :laugh: but didn't want car to get worse so had to be done asp. Got a vid to show how bad the old silencer was but i'm not sure if i can/how to upload vids on this forum. Cheers again for the advice.

2017-03-25 14.17.42.jpg

2017-03-25 14.17.48.jpg

2017-03-27 09.12.14.jpg

2017-03-27 09.12.44.jpg

• 2 years later...

Just had a similar problem with mines

fixed it all in for £30