Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Victim of a BMW sandwich

mike6688

Glad to hear that nothing serious happened in regards to your health (hopefully those back pains dont turn into anything worse!). My mate was recently in an accident (someone reversed into her) and the damage was alot less than this and the car was a write off. A shame really because the car doesnt look that bad it needs to be written off!

I hope you get a large payout from whatever muppet was responsible which should hopefully help often against the (possible) higher premiums you will have to pay for being in an "accident". 

Good luck with it all buddy

• Like 1

I agree dashcams would be much better than black boxes. Seen too many times the black box has gone wrong - such as saying they were on a different road to what they was, with a different speed limit, and the driver has been penalised for no reason. 

Anyway, the 3rd party's insurance are now saying they want to reassess liability as they have received new information. They were happy there driver was at fault before and he's admitted liability. 

I think it's because he failed to tell them I hit a car I front after he hit me and pushed me into them. Just a bit of a surprise when before I thought it was going to be more straight forward 

• Like 1

Stand your ground. The fact remains, his collision into you meant you collided with the car in front. For that reason they may try blame you saying you didnt have enough space between you, but ultimately if he didnt rear end....

I don't see how not having enough space in front of you makes you liable in any way, shape or form.

I routinely use my handbrake at a standstill, a handbrake isn't going to stop my car from moving forward a large amount if someone rear ends me at a high enough speed...

• Like 1

You will be surprised what insurers try to pull as excuses to get out of paying out...

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm certainly standing my ground in regards to liability and so far my insurance are happy to as well. The 3rd party insurance haven't said anything else as far as I'm aware now.

Anyway, the car has been declared a write off as will cost near £5000 to repair. It needs a complete new rear end and they suspect damage to suspension and chassis of the car. I considered having the car back to repair but I'm not sure it will be worth it, especially as it will be declared a write off and need to re-assessed and MOT'd after repairs. I also have to inform any insurance that it has been a write off, which I'm guessing would mean they would either put price up or refuse to cover it. 

So now it looks like I'm shopping for a new Ford 

8 hours ago, jeebowhite said:

You will be surprised what insurers try to pull as excuses to get out of paying out...

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Not so much an excuse, but "waiting for a claims form from our client" took 2 months when I had my prang with the farm animal...

Make sure you do not take their first offer when they pay out for your car, they will always come up. If you can, get pictures of the interior to prove how clean the car was. If it has new tyres on it then take pictures of the tread. Little things like that can squeeze up to a further £1k out of them, I've been there myself. Also if you paid extra for a spare tyre instead of goo then you can take it out, along with the tools and sell it or put it in your new ford.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The third party insurance has only offered just under £5,000 for the car, but my insurance has paid the rest as I had an agreed valuation policy.  I think the third party should have paid more but it looks like my insurance have just accepted it.  I never thought about all the extras I'd paid actually, the car hadn't long had new Pirelli tyres and new battery.  All the tools and extras I'd bought I've already taken out. 

• 2 months later...

Thought I would give an update on this now the police investigation and insurance claim is complete, and also share the dashcam footage of what happened.

I can only share this now due to an ongoing police investigation and insurance claim. There are pictures of the collision following the video so keep watching if you wish to see them. The dashcam footage proved 100% I had no fault in this, and all insurance companies agreed this from the off. My insurance company (Adrian Flux) were fantastic in getting this dealt with and getting the car and myself assessed. I have ...now received a police letter to say the 3rd party has got to attend a driver awareness course, at his own expense and has to be assessed following this - and although he could be prosecuted this is the better option. If he is involved in a similar crash in next few years or refuses to attend the course he will also be prosecuted. This is all due to having a dashcam (especially a rear camera).  

Holy God that footage is mad. The woman looks as if she was pregnant too.

43 minutes ago, kpg said:

Holy God that footage is mad. The woman looks as if she was pregnant too.

She was pregnant. I didnt realise this at the scene as she walked off to the side. I kept asking the guy if she was ok and he just said yes she's fine. I don't know why he wouldn't tell me this as I could have passed the information onto the emergency services whilst on the phone to them. Luckily an ambulance was sent anyway. 

• Like 1

A silly 'accident' even though I don't like that word.

Clearly his fault.

Worst bit about the whole thing is the car loss. It's always worth more to you than the money you get for it.

Last year I had a car written off by driver in a van with a trailer and he drove off.

My insurance went up for a non fault accident and I'd just had 4 new tyres, new front discs & pads and a service/MoT [emoji849]

As people have said the main thing is everyone was ok.

Surprised you didn't get a pay out for injury though.

I was a passenger years ago in a car accident hit from behind and got £2,000 for physio/time off work etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, JamesMalin said:

A silly 'accident' even though I don't like that word.

Clearly his fault.

Worst bit about the whole thing is the car loss. It's always worth more to you than the money you get for it.

Last year I had a car written off by driver in a van with a trailer and he drove off.

My insurance went up for a non fault accident and I'd just had 4 new tyres, new front discs & pads and a service/MoT emoji849.png

As people have said the main thing is everyone was ok.

Surprised you didn't get a pay out for injury though.

I was a passenger years ago in a car accident hit from behind and got £2,000 for physio/time off work etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an injury claim still going through. I had time off work and went for a medical asssessment as I couldn't turn my neck the next day. Minor tissue damage to neck and back. Nothing serious but obviously some discomfort for a few weeks. 

• Like 1

Also, my insurance did go up from £400 to £900. Adrian Flux reduced it to £800 but couldn't do any better. Managed to get a quote with LV= for £600 including a few benefits added in top. 

44 minutes ago, mike6688 said:

Also, my insurance did go up from £400 to £900. Adrian Flux reduced it to £800 but couldn't do any better. Managed to get a quote with LV= for £600 including a few benefits added in top. 

This is utter *****, in situations like these where it's bleedin obvious that the driver who got hit didn't contribute to the cause of the crash in the slightest possible way, their premium shouldn't nudge. The whole system needs a serious shake-up. Good on you for shopping around though.

51 minutes ago, Incontro said:

This is utter *****, in situations like these where it's bleedin obvious that the driver who got hit didn't contribute to the cause of the crash in the slightest possible way, their premium shouldn't nudge. The whole system needs a serious shake-up. Good on you for shopping around though.

I know, but apparently I'm now more at risk of having an 'at fault' crash when I've been involved in a non-fault crash.  Even though I have 9 years no claims, and only other accident was a few years back (again not my fault).  They have recovered all costs so it's not like my insurance need to recoup any costs either.  It's a shame because Adrian Flux were fantastic, but I can't justify paying so much extra.  I always shop around and have saved quite a bit each year by doing so.

4 hours ago, mike6688 said:

She was pregnant. I didnt realise this at the scene as she walked off to the side. I kept asking the guy if she was ok and he just said yes she's fine. I don't know why he wouldn't tell me this as I could have passed the information onto the emergency services whilst on the phone to them. Luckily an ambulance was sent anyway. 

So not only a bad driver but a selfish person who doesn't think about anybody but himself.  Shame they didn't lock him up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

So not only a bad driver but a selfish person who doesn't think about anybody but himself.  Shame they didn't lock him up.

True, at least he got some punishment from the police though.  He would have got away without any punishment (other than insurance claim) if it wasn't for the dashcam.

1 hour ago, mike6688 said:

I know, but apparently I'm now more at risk of having an 'at fault' crash when I've been involved in a non-fault crash.  Even though I have 9 years no claims, and only other accident was a few years back (again not my fault).  They have recovered all costs so it's not like my insurance need to recoup any costs either.  It's a shame because Adrian Flux were fantastic, but I can't justify paying so much extra.  I always shop around and have saved quite a bit each year by doing so.

But that's absolute *****...

Statistically that's true most of the time, but there was nothing you did there in the remotest way that would suggest that?

If a chav Corsa driver was speeding all the time, then statistically he's probably more likely to be involved in a crash, even if the crash isn't his fault. The video proves that you were driving in an ordinary, and completely safe, risk-free manner. From the footage, statistically, you are NOT more likely to crash.

The insurance companies are just applying a blanket rule - one size fits all approach, because it suits them!

/end rant

1 hour ago, Incontro said:

But that's absolute *****...

Statistically that's true most of the time, but there was nothing you did there in the remotest way that would suggest that?

If a chav Corsa driver was speeding all the time, then statistically he's probably more likely to be involved in a crash, even if the crash isn't his fault. The video proves that you were driving in an ordinary, and completely safe, risk-free manner. From the footage, statistically, you are NOT more likely to crash.

The insurance companies are just applying a blanket rule - one size fits all approach, because it suits them!

/end rant

I guess that's just how insurance is unfortunately :/ 

it's ridiculous! But I don't think we will see any change to how insurance works soon. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club