Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 USB + Bluetooth Retrofit Upgrade - Help/Advice Needed

DRAGOLIZER

So, my first post on the forums (please go easy on me)! 😂 Anyway, here goes…

I have a Ford Fiesta Mk7 (58 Reg - 2009) which came with the numerical dial-pad stereo and bluetooth only from factory, and wanted to upgrade to have both USB and bluetooth streaming enabled.

After reading some threads here and a bit of research, I decided to take the plunge and purchased a Novero 8M5T-19C112-AT module off of eBay, replacing the Novero 6M2T-19G488-AG module, along with the appropriate fascia for the AUX and USB ports and routing the USB cable from the module to it.

I then got on to a local garage who happily programmed via Ford IDS, the parameters (that others have mentioned several times): 'USB Accessory Unit' > 'With USB Unit and iPod function' and 'bluetooth Handsfree' > 'BT/VC Phone Interface + USB connect'. I also remember some kind of BVC setting that was either 'Low' or 'High' (or something involving those words). Attempted update via USB to update module/stereo which showed as being successful on the stereo display.

Unfortunately, here are the symptoms:

• USB power does work.
  • When plugging a USB stick in, it can see the MP3 files but will not play back (reverting back to AUX).
  • Pressing the AUX button multiple times does nothing.
  • iPod and USB options do now appear, but only accessible when respective device is connected;
  • However, no Bluetooth option visible.
  • 'External Device' voice commands result in 'Not Possible' response.
  • Connecting devices via Bluetooth and attempting to stream audio does not play sound through the car stereo, although devices appear to play like 'normal'.
  • Pulling stereo and module fuses to force power reset does not work.
  • Disconnecting USB and module loom cable to force reset does not work.

Don't know if anyone remembers coming across this issue, but I've tried to see if anyone else had similar issues on the web forums, but no real luck, apart from one quite similar, if not the same situation, that involved making sure both relevant parameters were programmed via Ford IDS.

Therefore:

• Could the incorrect BVC parameter of either 'Low (non-branded)' or 'High (non-branded)' affect the functions?
  • Possibility of malfunctioning module?
  • Is it normal for iPod and USB options not to do anything unless connected?
  • Might just be the display, but it does kind of look like the iPod and USB options are hashed out?
  • Does the actual stereo/relevant equipment need updating via Ford IDS or is updating via standard USB connection adequate enough?

Apologies for such a detailed post, but hope it's good enough for anyone to fully understand the situation. Would be good to get it working! Let me know what you guys think. Much appreciated!

P.S. Oh, and also anyone with Ford IDS who can help in the Leeds/West Yorkshire region?

Edited by DRAGOLIZER
Added little P.S. note for Ford IDS access in local region.

• Could the incorrect BVC parameter of either 'Low (non-branded)' or 'High (non-branded)' affect the functions?

Yes. It should be set to high. Low (iirc) is handsfree only. 

• Is it normal for iPod and USB options not to do anything unless connected?

Think so. Car I upgraded isn't mine anymore so can't confirm unfortunately. 

• Does the actual stereo/relevant equipment need updating via Ford IDS or is updating via standard USB connection adequate enough?

Multiline display module (can't remember exact name) may need updated via IDS.  If you have all applicable software updates applied via IDS that should cover it. 

Update via USB connection will only update the Bluetooth module. I didn't upgrade mine. 

Formatting of this post totally messed up, hopefully not too much. 

Luckily, my OCD doesn't go that far!

Thanks, jbell. I certainly remember reading your posts in relation to this topic. You mentioned updating the modules and then the two parameters via Ford IDS.

Since I've already got Bluetooth factory fitted and upgrading to USB + bluetooth, the only major swap should be the module itself, right? Not missing anything else?

As for the BVC parameter, I think it was initially set to 'Low' and I do recall someone mentioning how it determines the bluetooth capability like you have said. However, I've not seen anywhere else mention this at all, just the two other main parameters.

So hopefully, it just looks like I need the car software updates applied via Ford IDS then, meaning I'm halfway there and stepping in the right direction. Unfortunately, the local garage I went to only deals with the actual programming and diagnostics, not the updating side of things. From what I've heard from others, might be a chore to see if any Ford dealers would actually do this for me, so wondering if anyone knows someone/somewhere in my area that could do this?

• 3 years later...
On 6/23/2017 at 9:09 PM, DRAGOLIZER said:

Luckily, my OCD doesn't go that far!

Thanks, jbell. I certainly remember reading your posts in relation to this topic. You mentioned updating the modules and then the two parameters via Ford IDS.

Since I've already got Bluetooth factory fitted and upgrading to USB + bluetooth, the only major swap should be the module itself, right? Not missing anything else?

As for the BVC parameter, I think it was initially set to 'Low' and I do recall someone mentioning how it determines the bluetooth capability like you have said. However, I've not seen anywhere else mention this at all, just the two other main parameters.

So hopefully, it just looks like I need the car software updates applied via Ford IDS then, meaning I'm halfway there and stepping in the right direction. Unfortunately, the local garage I went to only deals with the actual programming and diagnostics, not the updating side of things. From what I've heard from others, might be a chore to see if any Ford dealers would actually do this for me, so wondering if anyone knows someone/somewhere in my area that could do this?

Hi, Did you manage to fix this issue?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club