Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


So just bought a Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost


Jamieking86
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not sure if anyone saw my thread for the past week but I was thinking of buying a Fiesta, 1.4TDCi due to been much more economical than the Audi i have now. Well after much deliberation we decided to up our price range and we've gone for the 1.0 Ecoboost Zetece model. Paying a few grand more than I first wanted but with only 44,000 mile on the clock and a 14 plate, I  am hoping it will last us a very long time. Anyone else got an ecoboost with any pros and cons about it? I took it for a drive and it was beautiful to drive, seemed quite nippy for a 1.0l too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I drive an ecoboost at work, noticed it had a really long first gear. The fuel economy basically depends on how you drive. Nurse it everywhere and you can get past 45mpg. Ours is lucky to get 30, but it does idle for quite a lot whilst we nip out to get something.

I know when I first saw the ecoboost I couldn't believe the block fits on an A4 piece of paper. Make sure you keep it well serviced, I noticed I tend to keep the revs up more than my 1.2 zetec, just to keep the boost. Just have to remember revs kill engines lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


When using the reverse gear, you may find you need to leave a few seconds between coming out of one gear, leave it in neutral for a few seconds then put into reverse.

Otherwise you may find a nasty grinding noise coming from the gearbox which makes you cry inside! 

Start stop is a pain if you want to use air con, so you’re best off turning it off if using air con otherwise the engine will keep going on and off. 

If you follow the gear change arrows like an obsessed child you’ll find that you can get almost (in my case) another half a tank in comparison to driving with your foot to the floor and letting the engine sing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you guys for the useful information, we do always service our cars when we MOT them every year so that won't be a problem. I've heard about the reverse gear on the Fiesta, that it can grind due to some syncro....thing? Not very useful with cars so please bear with me, but the salesman where we bought the car told us to stick to changing gears when it tells us to (by the arrows) and it will be much more economical that way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jamieking86 said:

Thank you guys for the useful information, we do always service our cars when we MOT them every year so that won't be a problem. I've heard about the reverse gear on the Fiesta, that it can grind due to some syncro....thing? Not very useful with cars so please bear with me, but the salesman where we bought the car told us to stick to changing gears when it tells us to (by the arrows) and it will be much more economical that way.

Yes - the arrows appear in between the Rev counter and speedo. Only for changing up. provided you don’t need instant speed then they’re great, but if you need to accelerate quickly, in the 1.0l stay in the same gear for longer.

If you’re really keen to find out how you’re driving economically wise, when the engine is on press the ‘Menu’ button and you can view the eco-driving scores. Nice little gimic and may help you if you’re wondering where all the fuel is going!

 

the reverse is due to the syncro situation, just don’t rush it and you’ll often be fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, lwatson99 said:

Yes - the arrows appear in between the Rev counter and speedo. Only for changing up. provided you don’t need instant speed then they’re great, but if you need to accelerate quickly, in the 1.0l stay in the same gear for longer.

If you’re really keen to find out how you’re driving economically wise, when the engine is on press the ‘Menu’ button and you can view the eco-driving scores. Nice little gimic and may help you if you’re wondering where all the fuel is going!

 

the reverse is due to the syncro situation, just don’t rush it and you’ll often be fine.

Yes when we test drove it I did notice them, the arrows do appear at low revs but it's not very often we're racing people anymore, so that's not a problem those days are long gone ;-)

Is that the menu on the trip computer on the Indicator lever? I flicked through it and saw you could see your average MPG and speed etc. Also what's the MYKEY function? I read about it that you could set a certain limit or something? The salesman never told or showed us anything though. As for the start/stop function, you can turn that off by a little button on the dash, which I think may come in handy as I'm not too keen on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jamieking86 said:

Yes when we test drove it I did notice them, the arrows do appear at low revs but it's not very often we're racing people anymore, so that's not a problem those days are long gone ;-)

Is that the menu on the trip computer on the Indicator lever? I flicked through it and saw you could see your average MPG and speed etc. Also what's the MYKEY function? I read about it that you could set a certain limit or something? The salesman never told or showed us anything though. As for the start/stop function, you can turn that off by a little button on the dash, which I think may come in handy as I'm not too keen on it.

No - on the infotainment (radio screen) you can find all sorts of interesting settings. 

 

The MyKey is best if you have a teenager driving your car. I don’t know if you do so I will explain it;

You can set just one key to have a maximum speed limit, as well as maximum music volume and other safety features. So you would give this key to a teen, and the car limits itself when that key is used. But when your own key is used it is unlimited.

Hope that makes sense

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Running back and forward to work in quite a rural location, I am getting 52 MPG from my 1.0L ecoboost

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, lwatson99 said:

No - on the infotainment (radio screen) you can find all sorts of interesting settings. 

 

The MyKey is best if you have a teenager driving your car. I don’t know if you do so I will explain it;

You can set just one key to have a maximum speed limit, as well as maximum music volume and other safety features. So you would give this key to a teen, and the car limits itself when that key is used. But when your own key is used it is unlimited.

Hope that makes sense

That's incredible technology. Do you set the limit on the actual key? Or you have the key in the ignition to set the limit? We don't have any children as of yet but it's a great feature to know of for future reference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, PMB said:

Running back and forward to work in quite a rural location, I am getting 52 MPG from my 1.0L ecoboost

 

My partner has 2 jobs, 1 of her jobs she goes to twice a day, so all in all she does 6 trips including their and back, at the moment we have an Audi A3 (we get the fiesta on thursday) and we're spending £120 a month on petrol. I am praying this 1.0 ecoboost is a lot more economical than the Audi lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jamieking86 said:

My partner has 2 jobs, 1 of her jobs she goes to twice a day, so all in all she does 6 trips including their and back, at the moment we have an Audi A3 (we get the fiesta on thursday) and we're spending £120 a month on petrol. I am praying this 1.0 ecoboost is a lot more economical than the Audi lol.

As with all cars the style of driving and the amount of town driving will effect the MPG. My last fiesta was a 1.4 TD and was very economical but with all the fuss about diesel cars I wanted to go over to petrol. My run to work is 15 miles each way with only 30% in town and the rest on rural roads. Traveling at between 50 - 60 (on all single carriageway roads) I am getting 52 MPG. Let us know how you get on.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jamieking86 said:

That's incredible technology. Do you set the limit on the actual key? Or you have the key in the ignition to set the limit? We don't have any children as of yet but it's a great feature to know of for future reference.

You have to set the limit while the key is in the ignition, it then codes the chip in that individual key and can’t be edited/bypassed by the child I believe. But yes, it could prove useful if you don’t trust a driver etc. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the 140ps Zetec S if I drive it sensibly can get 50-52 on my 20 mile commute! Great little engine! Would get even more if didn't have the extra hp 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got the 100ps and I drive in a fairly sensible manner these days. I get on average between 52 and 55 mpg. I was pitching at 58 a few days ago but then I did a few short urban trips which knocked it down a bit.

I've not had any issues with stop/start in mine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 mpg PMB? Gordon Bennet, mine's stuck on 34.1 atm.

I find if I change up when the arrow shows, the revs are too low for the next gear so usually I change at ~3000rpm (in any gear unless going downhill). My 34.1 is due to me wanting to hit the speed limit (or more) fast, I just enjoy that lil turbo.

Yes reverse can be a pain, knock it back to neutral, foot off clutch, try again.

If I change up to 2nd a tad too early I can get a touch of judder, reverse can also judder.

Very rarely I go above 3krpm then only up to ~4k, no need really.

I still have Tango lights, it doesn't go any slower. I can't hear my exhaust, bliss. The 'in-cab' Blackpool lights I don't notice.

The voice activation still doesn't want to understand me.

When I collected the car I got all petals on all subjects, not any more.

Wind deflectors help mine and stop that air pressure judder.

The boot candle is worth upgrading.

If you use the A/C, when you park, wait for the fans to stop. One time mine didn't and flattened the battery. Maybe ign on/ign off may have stopped them?

Check your vol + & - steering buttons, mine failed.

If you have cruise, if it appears not to work ensure that your left foot is well away from the clutch when you select it.

Stop/start I always switch off, you're wasting valuable millisecs if you want a fast getaway :wink:

I can't think of much else, Jamie.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wife regularly gets 52-55mpg from hers, I only manage 45-48 but I can live with that.

Never had any problems with stop/start, cruise control or reverse. The synchro issue is that there isn't one for reverse in this box. As suggested above the general advice is to wait 3-4s in neutral before selecting reverse and have the car stationary, any rolling can influence the gear selection.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't know what you guys are doing to get such low mpg. Everyday commute I get around 50-52, was about 48-50 in the colder months. This is on the 140bhp variant.

On the couple of times I have given it a bit of stick, doing about 90mph (on the autobahn of course) and accelerating fairly briskly through the gears changing up at about 4500-5000 i managed to get it in the low 40's and I did reset the avg mpg reading before I did that. Gawd knows what you'd have to do to get it to 34 mpg as winemart seems to be claiming. What are you doing dropping the clutch at 6000 rpm to pull away  and taking it to the redline in every gear?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you guys for your helpful replies. From what I've read the average mpg is around 45-50? We're getting between 25-30 with the Audi we currently have so I'm hoping it will make much more of a difference. We get the car delivered tomorrow morning so I'm looking forward to giving it a good spin tomorrow evening after work. Will add some pictures too if I can :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Driving mine on short journeys in Nottingham City I get around 37 mpg using the stop / start.   When I go to see my son in Wakefield I get around 55 mpg including driving out of and into Nottingham and Wakefield.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Blatto said:

 What are you doing dropping the clutch at 6000 rpm to pull away  and taking it to the redline in every gear?

LMFAO :biggrin: I wish.

Very rarely do I go above 3krpm, I always switch off stop/start. I just love that lil turbo.

I sometimes get a lil wheel spin/squeal when I take off.

I got fed up with my new 85 XR2 after ~2 weeks, I never get fed up with this 1.0 ecoboost and smile every time the turbo kicks in.

I toyed with buying a 1.6 ecoboost but it's too bl**dy dangerous. Hey, i'm almost 70, these kids with the big-bores need a few lessons, you have to enjoy yourself :wink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given that you rarely go over 3000 rpm I'm surprised you are getting mpg in the 30's. Are you doing very short journeys with a permanently cold engine?

I wouldn't say I drive that sedately, I'm often over 4500- 5000 rpm with the odd overtake and I rarely drop below 65-75mph on the Motorways if the conditions/traffic are decent.

I have the stop/start off 90% of the time too, just too annoying in the town traffic on my commute.

Seems to get 50mpg without trying. If I was to concentrate on economy driving I think it would be easy to get well over 55 mpg.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership