Sign in to follow this  
steeringlockengaged

Just got stranded, with "Steering lock engaged turn steering wheel" warning on the dash. (Keyless)

I was out earlier in my 2016(I think), (11.5k miles. Manual) Fiesta and got stranded for about 10 minutes 4 different times in about 2 hours. When I got back in the car and try to start it I'd get a "Steering lock engaged turn steering wheel". So I turned the wheel, and it locked. But then I'd press the button again and nothing would happen. It'd take probably 5 minutes of pressing the button to start it. Locking and unlocking the car didn't see to do anything. 

Anyone seen this before and know what is going on? I didn't even think the car had a steering lock until today when that happened the first time. It happened those 4 times in around two hours, then I parked and it has started perfectly the next 6 times I tried. 

I don't have keyless but to undo steering lock fairly sure I have to wiggle the wheel while turning the key. 

Might be worth trying while pressing the start button. 

On 12/22/2017 at 4:32 AM, steeringlockengaged said:

Anyone seen this before and know what is going on?

If it is anything like the Focus, then it has an electronically controlled lock unit on the steering column. This talks to the KVM (Keyless Vehicle Module) over a serial bus.

That error message sounds like a sticking or faulty lock unit.

I note the error occurred while the column was not physically locked, from what you said. I expect it is spring loaded, and latches into detents in the column when you turn the wheel. When the lock gets the release command, it pulls back out of and away from the column. From this, I would guess an internal electrical fault is more likely than a mechanical fault.