Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil, filter DPF service

Ghia15

Hi all. 

I am am looking for recommendations on oil for my 57 1.8 diesel. 

Looking for for a good quality and filter to service the car with. 

I generally do do the services on my cars every 5k miles as I feel they run better when serviced more often.

also I keep hearing different things as to if my car has a DPF?  How would I tell and where can I get the fluid for it and how to I check the level?

Thanks

No fluid for the DPF; you are probably thinking of an 'Addblue' type system which this isn't.

For oil most people use ether the Ford-branded oil or the Castrol GTX Magnatec to the appropriate Ford spec although my preference (and I don't really know why) has been Mobil Super 3000 Formula F (although it is no longer so cheap from Halfords as it was).

How could I confirm if there is a DPF or not. Keep hearing different answers. 

It shouldn't have one, if you hoof it and a cloud of black smoke comes out the back, you know it hasn't. :laugh:

1 hour ago, Ghia15 said:

How could I confirm if there is a DPF or not. Keep hearing different answers. 

The 1.8 TDCi was never fitted with a DPF from the factory on ANY Ford retail vehicles (certainly not in the UK but I doubt there were any fitted to this engine anywhere in the world) so you've not got anything to worry about on that score.

Well when I boot it a cloud appears so I would guess it doesn’t have one. Guess it’s one less thing to worry about. 

Thanks for the replies everyone

The DPF makes no difference to visible particulates!  That's not how it works.

Stick your head underneath and look.

20 minutes ago, Jethro_Tull said:

The DPF makes no difference to visible particulates!  That's not how it works.

Stick your head underneath and look.

I've never driven a modern diesel with DPF that creates black clouds of soot like the pre DPF diesels. 

Like for like, the same engines (such as the DV6) will give exactly the same visible emissions with or without a DPF.  The MOT uses an opacity test to measure those visible emissions, and will give the same result between two otherwise identical mills. 

The pm2.5 the DPF is designed to combat can't be seen by eye.  A diseasel that Chunder's out appreciable smoke on acceleration is either worn, or has Perviously been driven inappropriately and has accumulated loose carbon deposits along the cooler parts of the exhaust.  You can easily get a DPF equipped diesel to puke smoke, as the Wife's new Sportage does if used for short journeys a couple of days running.

Been underneath the car the other day doing the oil and filter. 

Runs so much better with fresh oil in her, much smoother on idle and through the Rev range. 

Where red would the DPF be on the car?

only bulge section on the exhaust is just after the down pipe but doesn’t look big enough to be a DPF in my mind. Not sure though as never looked for one or had much to do with diesels.

Got a K&N panel filter to fit when it arrives, topped up the fluids on the rad and brake, checked the pads and discs so all in good shape.

Going to get the manifold off and cleaned out rather than using any spray cleaners into the inlet which will dislodge funk into the engine. 

Seen a second manifold for £30 so might buy it and get it all built up and cleaned ready so all I do is swap it out. 

Looking forward to a bit more tinkering on the car, even a slight increase in performance and economy would be welcome. 

Thanks

***duplicate post so deleted it***

Edited by 1979Damian
Deleted (duplicate post)

I'd say it's a good shout cleaning the manifold if you're happy taking it off, £30 for a "spare" that you can make up and then fit might make life a bit easier.  Also blanking the EGR valve made a nice difference to m ine and has meant I haven't had any problems with the EGR getting clogged up and failing.

22 minutes ago, Ghia15 said:

Been underneath the car the other day doing the oil and filter. 

Runs so much better with fresh oil in her, much smoother on idle and through the Rev range. 

Where red would the DPF be on the car?

only bulge section on the exhaust is just after the down pipe but doesn’t look big enough to be a DPF in my mind. Not sure though as never looked for one or had much to do with diesels.

Again, there is NO DPF on a 1.8 TDCi engine.

I agree. 

Cannot see anything for the DPF. Lol. 

Thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club