Sign in to follow this  
BigK

Rattle, bang, dead engine, thoughts?

Hi guys, I wonder if anyone can help I had an smax for 4 years, I put on 40,000 miles, never had a mechanical issue, or engine issue just usual wear and tear replacements. At idle only, fly wheel sounding a bit lumpy. The clutch started to go so took to local garage (a mitsubishi dealer) for replacement (clutch and flywheel £1400). Comes out of workshop with a new metallic rattle that. The owner says bit of a rattle but not to worry. On first drive to work rattle continues directly with revs until 2500 then disappears, reappearing with every drop in revs, eg braking and corners. Then 20 mins in a loud bang, a change in engine rattle note, 5 mins pulling up steep hill, (good power), complete engine failure on a dangerous road with no signal. 4 hours later back to garage. They tell me the fuel pump is seized (never any symptoms of failing pump in 40000 miles), therefore the pump done it and Engine probably dead, need new engine, they didn't touch pump during repair there fore not their fault. Sounds like very convenient explanation for them. Read elsewhere that loose engine mount bolt might sound like that. Anyone got any thoughts as to likely cause after such repair?

Are you able to recover it to a different garage for them to provided a second opinion?

Sounds like a catastrophic failure of an engine component.  Highly unlikely the fuel pump is much to do with it, and if it were they'd have gone nowhere near it doing your clutch - that'd be like them changing a wiper and a wheel then falling off.