Do Not Sell My Personal Information

North London Members - Number Plate Question

TomsFocus

Morning,

Does anyone know the number plate prefixes of North London Ford dealers?  It'll be somewhere around Stanmore...

Trying to do some detective work lol :ninja: 

Cheers

Yes it's one of them, won't say which for security reasons, I want to know which dealer uses it, I can't imagine there are many Ford dealers in that area.

No particular dealer will use it.  When a car is registered they'll get whichever area identifier is next on the list awaiting allocation.

3 minutes ago, Jethro_Tull said:

No particular dealer will use it.  When a car is registered they'll get whichever area identifier is next on the list awaiting allocation.

7 minutes ago, Jethro_Tull said:

Urgh, phone quotes still don't work on here lol.

How does that work then?  I'm sure all the Fords from Ipswich dealer start with AV. :unsure:

And if there were 10 dealers in Ipswich, they too would also be AV.  Its a regional identifier, in no way individual to the dealer.

There are 20 regions.  Each region uses about half a dozen prefixes (some regions more), any of which could be issued to a vehicle by that regional office. 

There are 502 authorised Ford franchises in the UK.  That averages out as 25 Ford dealers in each DVLA region (that's an average, the highlands will be less, London more etc). 

25 dealers in each DVLA region, each of who will received one of half a dozen regional prefixes when they register a vehicle.

And the it gets even more complex when there are dealer chains, who may register a car in Edinburgh, but the first time it actually gets sold to the public is at a different branch in Birmingham.

The maths is simple.  There is no way that one can identify an individual dealer solely from a DVLA prefix.

Maths isn't my strong point lol. :wink:

I do see what you mean though.  So there's no way I can find out where a car was first registered without an original sales bill then?

Unless you have a sneaky chum at the DVLA, no.