Do Not Sell My Personal Information

06 Fiesta speedometer

mccfiesta

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to these type of forums. I just wondered if anyone could help?

My son bought my grandaughter a 2006 Fiesta style climate for her 18th/Christmas. When it was brought home we found out that the speedometer isn't working.

I've been trying to look at it and have changed the fuses just incase it was something simple but I'm not sure what to do after that as I've not come across this problem before. 

The digital display comes on and then goes off and the speedo moves up to just below the 0 but when driving the speedo doesn't move. The rev counter works.

My grandaughter has passed her test and really wants to drive it but the dreaded black boxes must be used and for this she needs the speedo.

Any help would be great! 

Surely this is would be one of the first things you would notice when going on a test drive? Oh well I hope this highlights to you how important it is to give a car a good looking over before you buy it. Just checking the oil can save you a lot of headaches down the road. I was helping a mate inspect a car and found it had a head gasket leak so walked away.

Was it from a dealer? If so it should be up to them to sort this out. I'd argue the car is not fit for purpose and either reject the car (if you bought it less than 30 days ago) or get the dealer to fix the issue if within 6 months under the Consumer Rights Act (2015).

I know the speed sensors are prone to failure on these MK6 Fiestas, so I'd check that first.

Otherwise it would be most likely an ECU problem. You can get it refurbished (£140+ parts at The ECU Doctor) or buy a second hand one from a breakers/ebay and have someone program it in (£50 ish programming + cost of ECU at around £80-100).

Thanks so much for getting back to me. 

I know what you mean. I think it was a case of getting a car quickly which as you say doesn't stop it being checked properly. 

I'll have a look around and see what we can do. Thank you!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club