Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Advice On Dash Cams.

Liam40

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately my Dad purchased a buy one get one free offer on dash cams which he got off of Facebook. He waited ages for them to arrive. Apparently other customers had problems getting their dash cams from this company. This company that sold the dash cams has since gone bust.

Anyway, he set one up in his car and they recorded, well we think they have, it looked like it has. When he connected the dash cam up to his laptop, he did download the drivers for the dash cam, but unfortunately he can’t watch the videos because the files are not supported on Windows 10 OS.! It only says on the box and on the instructions that Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 are only supported. He has Windows 10. He didn’t know this until he obviously tried to watch the videos. He can’t get a refund because as I said the company has gone bust. Lessons will be learned about buying from Facebook. I feel very sorry for him, because he thought he was getting a good deal.!

Anyway, can anyone suggest a good dash cam that he can buy at Halfords, which he can get them to fit for him and that supports Windows 10 please.!

Thank you,

Liam.

Liam, it’s unfortunate your dad has been screwed over like that, never buy anything form a FB advert if you have never heard of the company or can’t find any reviews on a google search. As you said, lesson learnt ☹️

Dont let your dad make another mistake by letting Halfords fit anything in his car, they cannot be trusted to fit one of those Magic Tree air fresheners let alone something that connects into the cars electrics. Who fitted his current one? They really are a doodle to fit, plenty of guides on YouTube, and fitting is basically the same for all cams apart from position. 

Nextbase cameras are good, they are available in Halfords and there is almost always 20% off them so if there is no discount just now, wait until there is. I have a Transcend DrivePro 200 in the rear and the 220 in the front, again you can buy these in Halfords with discount. Then you have Thinkware which are mail order direct from Thinkware - very reliable camera and established company. And right at the other end of the spectrum you have BlackVue which are ace. 

Stay away from Snooper cameras available in Maplin, they are meant to be pretty useless. Buying from amazon is usually safe enough when it comes to returns if it is no good. If your dad wants to do some research or wait for Halfords to offer discount then he has the time, the camera he has is recording (you assume) so leave it in and if any incidents you can always get a shot of someone else’s computer. I know the drivers aren’t compatible with Windows 10 but I assume you have an external memory card in the camera which will be recording the video in a standard format. All you need to do is remove the card, whack it in a holder and into the computers reader and the media centre should play the file. 

Sorry for the long post.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Liam, it’s unfortunate your dad has been screwed over like that, never buy anything form a FB advert if you have never heard of the company or can’t find any reviews on a google search. As you said, lesson learnt ☹️

Dont let your dad make another mistake by letting Halfords fit anything in his car, they cannot be trusted to fit one of those Magic Tree air fresheners let alone something that connects into the cars electrics. Who fitted his current one? They really are a doodle to fit, plenty of guides on YouTube, and fitting is basically the same for all cams apart from position. 

Nextbase cameras are good, they are available in Halfords and their is almost always 20% off them so if there is no discount just now, wait until there is. I have a Transcend DrivePro 200 in the rear and the 220 in the front, again you can buy these in Halfords with discount. Then you have Thinkware which are mail order direct from Thinkware - very reliable camera and established company. And right at the other end of the spectrum you have BlackVue which are ace. 

Stay at Away from Snooper cameras available in Maplin, they are meant to be pretty useless. Buying from Amazon is usually safe enough when it comes to returns if it is no good. If your dad wants to do some research or wait for Halfords to offer discount then he has the time, the camera he has is recording (you assume) so leave it in and if any incidents you can always get a shot of someone else’s computer. I know the drivers aren’t compatible with Windows 10 but I assume you have an external memory card in the camera which will be recording the video in a standard format. All you need to do is remove the card, whack it in a holder and into the computers reader and the media centre should play the file. 

Sorry for the long post.

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your recommendations on dash cams, and also for the advice on Halfords fitting service 😂. If he buys from there, I’ll steer him clear of their service. I’ll have a look on Halfords website to see if there are any discounts!

I hadn’t thought about, I actually totally forgot about putting the dash cams memory card into a SD card adapter and then slotting it into his laptop. I’ll give that a try, thank you for reminding me.!

Liam.

• Like 1

You can use compatibility mode in windows 10 to run older programs - that might be an option?  I just use an SD card adapter as suggested above as well.

Personally I have a wedge cam, (also called A118c/B40c) which can be bought online from reputable places on eBay and amazon.  Also bought a Nextbase hardwire kit a couple of years ago.  Removed the lot from my Mk2 and re-installed in the Mk3 all within an hour yesterday.  I wouldn't have Halfords do it.

• Like 2

You’re welcome @Liam40 I suppose in the interest of fairness I should probably say that not all Halfords fitters are bad (laws of probability), but all the times I have given them a chance they have messed up. And I’ve not heard any good reviews from friends.

When buying a dash cam I would recommend your dad gets the best one he can comfortably afford, preferably with GPS. it’s GPS that is going to show what speed you were doing in the event of any accident.

When it comes to these purchases, you usually get what you pay for

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Try VLC (Videolan player - www.videolan.org), it has a humongous list of formats that it understands and plays.

• Like 1

I had one of those wedgecams and it broke after 2 weeks. Light would come on but wouldn't record. Wouldn't mind but it happened mid drive too.

Also had some cheapo one with that only lasted a couple months too. That had a small battery in it (instead of capacitors) and I think the summer heat killed it (as lithium-Ion + heat = bye bye battery).

I'd say try and get a discrete one if you get an expensive one. Thieves will break the window if they see it and looks expensive enough.

• Like 1

I've had the wedge 18 months now and still works fine, it's a mass produced Chinese product though, there will be a few bad ones. 

I had an 0801 before that, utter rubbish lol, it was broken more often than it worked! :laugh:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jethro_Tull said:

I wouldn't trust Halfords to fit a tax disc holder.

I bet they'd still try to sell you one 3 years after tax discs were abolished though... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Try dashcam viewer,i have tried loads and works and free with GPS logger,just download it.

Also i have the Wedge type camera,hides away nice and works great A119 or A119s and off amazon,the quality is amazing for a £70 area camera and night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the advice on dash cams and software to able to view the videos from his now dash cam. I really appreciate your comments.!

Liam.

Google Techmoan, he has done loads of reviews on a large number of car cams, for each  camera he installs it in his own car and produces and in depth video showing his experience wtth them, he has also done a video aimed at people who know nothing about car cams.  I would add that his current car cam is the Viofo A119 which appears to be the best camera at a very reasonable price, (just over £70 on E-bay).  Over the years I have had a number of car cams and I would suggest two things, do not go for a budget camera, it would last five minutes, secondly, don't buy from the high street shows, they tend to have poor camera's at inflated prices.  Good luck.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2018 at 10:23 AM, Martin222 said:

Google Techmoan, he has done loads of reviews on a large number of car cams, for each  camera he installs it in his own car and produces and in depth video showing his experience wtth them, he has also done a video aimed at people who know nothing about car cams.  I would add that his current car cam is the Viofo A119 which appears to be the best camera at a very reasonable price, (just over £70 on E-bay).  Over the years I have had a number of car cams and I would suggest two things, do not go for a budget camera, it would last five minutes, secondly, don't buy from the high street shows, they tend to have poor camera's at inflated prices.  Good luck.

Spot on,i read loads of reviews and that is why i went for the A119 and the S model.

Adding just one thing,don't think a £300+ camera will be better picture,most just add stuff on them like for parking/WiFi etc,picture is the main thing what i look at.

Also would you leave a £300+ mobile on you dash and go out,i know i wouldn't so theft is another thing and the damage they do to get it.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2018 at 3:39 PM, jace1969 said:

Also would you leave a £300+ mobile on you dash and go out,i know i wouldn't so theft is another thing and the damage they do to get it.

This is why I am surprised there are not more "discreet" systems where the main box is put elsewhere in the vehicle. My friend has a K1S also, and we secreted his main unit away behind his fusebox cover. 

1 hour ago, Micro said:

This is why I am surprised there are not more "discreet" systems where the main box is put elsewhere in the vehicle. My friend has a K1S also, and we secreted his main unit away behind his fusebox cover. 

I know what you mean,mine is a lot better than a sucker on the screen or a big screen but still not A1 as you can still see it,mine aint stuck to the window as its on the

plastic mirror cover so a lot better but no way would i put a £300 or more one in mine,£100 is bad enough.

I've just bought an Anker Roav C1 Pro and I'm pretty impressed with it so far. It's wedge style on par with the Viofo.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club