Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Road noise from 2.2 titanium x estate

Wobblybox

Does anyone have a mk4 titanium x 2.2?? I have @ 2011 model and have notice horrendous road noise. It seems to come from the rear and its a booming drone type noise. It changes with the road surface and I'm fairly certain it's not bearings. 67k on the car and running Goodyear asymmetric tyres on the rear (new). I do have 19" wheels though and wonder has anyone suffered the same noise? I love the car but the road noise is insufferable. Thinking of changing to 18's

19s are awful they look good but transmit a lot of noise and are prone to tramlineing, 17" are a much better ride and tyres are cheaper too

• Like 1

On 05/02/2018 at 1:17 PM, pragmatix said:

19s are awful they look good but transmit a lot of noise and are prone to tramlineing, 17" are a much better ride and tyres are cheaper too

What about 18's? I do like the look of the 19's and thought the 18 would be a happy medium but..... The 18's come with

235-40-18 tyres and the 19's have 235-40-19 so I don't see how I'd be better off as surely the tyre wall is the same size? How would changing to 18's make a difference? I honestly don't notice the tramline effect with them..

Are the tyres damaged in any way? My brother had a strange noise on one of his cars once, it wasn't noticeable initially but it turned out that the tyre was damaged and caused the tyre to be deformed, which caused the noise.

The facelift Mondeo (MK4.5) from early 2011 (or very very late 2010) have 235/40/19 tyres to give a better ride than the earlier cars.

I use 18" wheels with 235/45/18 tyres for the winter and it is a little more comfortable, though steering is not as sharp (but probably because of the combination of larger sidewall and soft winter tyres). If you want to keep the look of the 19's then I would suggest the Focus ST alloys (ST250).

Standard 19" wheels.

Summer_Wheels1.thumb.jpg.d61f34b6a363f876dc88f44d8e5614d5.jpg

Focus ST 18" wheels

Winter_wheels1.thumb.jpg.e2cc70c047a9ae4e59d43d8f4f39d889.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club