Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight replacements..?

Nathana94

Hey!

i recently changed my dipped beam for a Phillips race vision and it’s nice, but not as white as I hoped :( 

when I had a look at the assembly, it looks like there is another bulb on when my headlight is on, is this the sidelight? Or am I looking at it wrong? If it’s the sidelight, would installing a brighter side light help boost the light? 

i was going to change out the sidelight, but if it’s just a case of needing HIDs for the brightness I want, I may not bother 

cheers!

Are they supposed to be whiter? Brighter bulbs don't necessarily mean they'll give a whiter light.

I had a quick search and can't see anything about the colour temperature for these bulbs. (unless I'm going blind)

33 minutes ago, Frembrit said:

Are they supposed to be whiter? Brighter bulbs don't necessarily mean they'll give a whiter light.

I had a quick search and can't see anything about the colour temperature for these bulbs. (unless I'm going blind)

Judging from what I’ve read “150% more light”. They’re definitely wider spread than the stock bulbs, but I’m not sure on the brightness.. they come in around 3400K I believe - I just thought maybe because my side lights are so dim they’re almost off may be why I’m not seeing the brightness I expected?

I just re read my first post.. idiot moment!

i was hoping the lights would be BRIGHTER :laugh: thats what made me think of my side lights are on when my dipped beams are, maybe I should upgrade those too!

Did you make sure the bulbs were seated correctly/properly in the headlights? Incorrectly fitted bulbs will cause poor beam pattern so light isn't directed in the correct area and could give the impression that they are dim or really bright (for example, when you see oncoming cars with one headlight aiming high and  dazzling you). 

As you say they have a wider spread then they could be incorrectly fitted and therefore the poiting the beam more to the left/right. I think it's worth checking. (As careful as I always am, I managed to incorrectly fit a bulb in my friend's Focus, beam was high, turned out the bulb came away from its seat as I was re-fitting the clip, so it was in the headlight at an angle)

4 hours ago, Frembrit said:

Did you make sure the bulbs were seated correctly/properly in the headlights? Incorrectly fitted bulbs will cause poor beam pattern so light isn't directed in the correct area and could give the impression that they are dim or really bright (for example, when you see oncoming cars with one headlight aiming high and  dazzling you). 

As you say they have a wider spread then they could be incorrectly fitted and therefore the poiting the beam more to the left/right. I think it's worth checking. (As careful as I always am, I managed to incorrectly fit a bulb in my friend's Focus, beam was high, turned out the bulb came away from its seat as I was re-fitting the clip, so it was in the headlight at an angle)

Hmm.. everything seemed level when I re-installed the assembly.. but I did think the right beam was sitting higher. Will pull it back out on Thursday when I’m off work and take a look. Will post some pics if you’ll be able to get a rough idea?

Do you know if my side lights should be on when my dipped beams are? I’ve read the user guide and it mentions nothing, but it’s my first time doing anything with headlights so I’m not 100% on what is active and when hah :)

cheers for the pointer!

Not sure on modern cars (my car has DRL's as standard), but the sidelight bulb stayed 'on' on my old W reg mondeo and G reg Sierra. I suspect they do stay on, but they wouldn't affect the brightness of the main dipped beam bulb.

If it's a halogen bulb I've often found replacing the wiring to be better than any alternative bulb, throw an extra earth on as a cheap test

Mikeyp @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : sales@tmsmotorsport.co.uk

whatsapp-25px.png
WhatsApp us for fast response : +447979127236
TMS Motorsport – AP Racing – BUY ONLINE

-   We ship worldwide to your door  -

-  Currently Breaking for parts – Hawkeye Subaru Impreza  - Honda S2000 -

Just pulled the units out and the lamps seem in there as they should be, however the lens over them in the headlight itself looks a little cloudy, not sure if that’s how it should be?

ive added some OSRAM 4000K LEDs as the side lights and they’re a good colour, just not getting the brightness I’m expecting. 

Would it be safe to say I’m expecting too much from a white halogen lamps in terms of brightness without conversion kits? I don’t want to blind people I just feel like my bulbs are dim. Maybe it’s just me!

Where did you buy the Race Vision bulbs from? I'm thinking that they could be fake.

Race vision bulbs were from powerbulbs. Honestly thinking I just expected too much from halogen. Will get a picture of them tonight and post it here

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club