Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk7.5 Blowing Hot Air

dansallis

My Fiesta seems to be blowing hot air out the vents even when I have the temperature set to 16-17C. 

It is a Titanium and has climate control. When I switch it to "LO", it will blow cold air, but any other setting and it will blow warm/hot. 

Does anyone know what could be at fault?

Is the air con on auto? When mine is on auto on a cold and damp morning my screen clear for front and rear clears the screen without selecting any controls

1 hour ago, dansallis said:

My Fiesta seems to be blowing hot air out the vents even when I have the temperature set to 16-17C. 

It is a Titanium and has climate control. When I switch it to "LO", it will blow cold air, but any other setting and it will blow warm/hot. 

What's the outside temp? If its is 5c  deg outside and you have 17c set inside it will blow warm inside until the cabin has warmed up

17 hours ago, Titanium said:

Is the air con on auto? When mine is on auto on a cold and damp morning my screen clear for front and rear clears the screen without selecting any controls

No, it was on power level 2. I have tried it on all power levels as well as auto and the problem still occurs. I don't mind it blowing hot air when I am trying to clear the windows, but it still blows hot air even when I have it pointing at me on 16c. 

16 hours ago, Tiexen said:

What's the outside temp? If its is 5c  deg outside and you have 17c set inside it will blow warm inside until the cabin has warmed up

That is a very good point! Is it normal though for it to blow really hot in order to heat the interior from the outside temp to what you have set it to (say 17c), because 17c is not a hot temperature... :confused:

It tries to get to your desired temp as quickly as possible.  So yes if it's ~10c when you get in and you've got it set at 17c, it will switch on the electric heater and blast hot air for a few seconds until the temp gets to roughly the right place.  However I have noticed it often over shoots the mark and has to blast a bit of cold in after that lol.  It should settle in a few minutes though, does it do it all the time?

If it's like the Focus, you also need to have the centre vents open so it can get an accurate reading at the cabin sensors.  Just having it on feet doesn't work that well.

Just tested mine: (with outside temp 7c) set a/c to auto and blowing out centre vents.

Set to 25c and drive around until your toasty warm, set the temp to 16c and within a few minutes it should start blowing cold air.

If yours doesn't do that then it needs looking at

25 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It tries to get to your desired temp as quickly as possible.  So yes if it's ~10c when you get in and you've got it set at 17c, it will switch on the electric heater and blast hot air for a few seconds until the temp gets to roughly the right place.  However I have noticed it often over shoots the mark and has to blast a bit of cold in after that lol.  It should settle in a few minutes though, does it do it all the time?

If it's like the Focus, you also need to have the centre vents open so it can get an accurate reading at the cabin sensors.  Just having it on feet doesn't work that well.

It does it every time I drive it.

I mainly notice it when I am hard accelerating to join the motorway in the mornings, bearing in mind I have already been driving for 10 minutes at this point. I would expect that the cabin would be at the right temperature, but when I accelerate it fires in another burst of hot air, causing the cabin to feel a lot hotter than 16/17c...

Hmm, that is odd.  I get the acceleration blasts as well, it's just the extra air coming in from outside I think.  Try it with recirc on.

• 6 months later...
On 2/19/2018 at 12:29 PM, dansallis said:

Hi there, sorry for reviving this, but my other half has this exact same issue currently, and i've been trying to read up on what are the likely causes and was about to hook up a laptop tomorrow just to gather any other useful data i can before actually getting my hands dirty.

Only things I've checked so far are coolant level (used one of the readers from halfords) which showed no problems, and i even took out the internal temp reader by the drivers knee and gave it a gently cleaning but issue has returned.

Did you ever manage to solve this issue at all?  I'd be happy for any information that proves useful on solving this as it's frustrating as hell having hot air blowing at you randomly.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I did solve it Simon, but it appeared it was my stupidity!

The hot air that was blowing out the vents was because the cabin temperature was lower than the set temperature of the climate control. For example, if the climate control is set at 17c and the cabin temperature is 15c, it will continue to blow hot air out of the vents until the cabin temperature reaches 17c. It appears this is normal operation for climate control, and since this is my first car with climate control, it confused me at first.

Does yours blow cold when set to "LO"?

A good test to make sure it is working is set it to a hot temperature such as 23c and let the car heat up. Then set the temperature at a value it was previously blowing hot air out of the vents, say 17c, and see if the vents blow cold. They should. 

Hope this helps!

Hi hope you dont mind me tagging on this post as ive just had similar problem and couldnt find the fault easily.

My mk7 Fiesta with automatic climate control came up with a fault of only blowing cold air through all the temperature settings and what ever I read on Google said the heater resistor. No it's not the heater resistor as that controls the fan speed.

Automatic climate control Mk7 Fiestas have 3 actuators fitted due to all the automation and no matter how hard you google there isn't any thing out

Right hand dive locations (left hand swap driver and passenger round) all are mounted on the heater unit and Haynes say remove the whole unit

1 actuator is behind the glove box (need to remove the glove box complete 2 pins attach it and its in front of you by the fusebox) this controls the Recirculation flap

1 actuator is by the passengers right leg (again for ease take the glove box out the by the passengers right foot is a panel with 1 screw and some clips it's on the left of the heater) this controls all the flaps for the different vents

1 actuator is by the drivers left leg (by the drivers left foot is a panel with 1 screw and some clips it's on the right side of the heater but the leg air bag is in the way I managed to remove the actuator with a torx bid and a 1/4 drive spanner and left air bag in place) this controls the hot / Cold flap this is the one that broke on me

Test the actuators by removing the 2 torx screws and operating the relevant control if actuator works then it's the flaps. Mine was the arm that went from the actuator to the hot / Cold Flap. 

Part number Ford 1827184 £135 and you get all 10 parts to repair all the arms and controls I only needed 1 part or you can buy the whole heater unit, so went to scrap yard with no avail.

I then contacted a 3d printing company (Orija Designs, Woodley Berkshire) i gave them the broken arm and 1 day later they called me saying it's ready at a lot less than I was quoted at Ford (a lot less) part fits like a dream and I've got hot / Cold settings

Hope this helps anyone who looks at this post I will attempt to create a separate post also

IMG-20180926-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20180923-WA0010.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi, I am having same issue. It blows hot air even when you set the temperature to 16 and it is 28 outside.

The only way to get cold air is to set it to LO.

Did anyone find the solution to fix it?

3 hours ago, s567 said:

Did anyone find the solution to fix it?

The post above yours !

8 minutes ago, unofix said:

The post above yours !

Unfortunately this is quite a different problem. I checked the actuators anyway and all seem fine.

Recommend you start a new thread and describe the problems you are having with your car. Have you had the AC regassed ?

Thanks, I started my own thread describing the problem here, just thought I would check as some of the users in this thread had very similar issues.

I haven't had the AC regassed.