Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zetec S Alloys Ruined

kremmen

Hi,

Just took my Zetec s in for 1st service and asked them to look at tyres/wheel due to hitting a few potholes and vibration at speed.

Just had a phone call back...ALL alloys are ruined and I need a couple of tyres.

Looking around the roads I don't think that the pothole problems are that much better.What happens if I drive into another pothole tomorrow?If the alloys are that crap why replace with the originals?

I wondered if I could replace my 17" alloys with steel ( yeah I know) .

I am waiting for a phone call from Ford and have asked them to put a hold on ordering replacement alloys.

Paul

thats painful.

I bought my currect zs used last august, soon after buying i took it back becuase i had some vibrations back through the wheel. Turned out both the front alloys were bent. luckily they replaced them.

thats painful.

I bought my currect zs used last august, soon after buying i took it back becuase i had some vibrations back through the wheel. Turned out both the front alloys were bent. luckily they replaced them.

Just had a call back..... apparently they dont do steels for this car.

I think a trip to Halfords or someone for a cheap set of alloys is in order

Paul

Have you thought about getting 16" wheels, the higher profile tyres you will need will give more protection.

Saying that, can't believe how many people are getting buckled wheels, I have no problems with 19" and 35 profile, but I suppose you get what you pay for.

Seems to be quite a common topic knackered alloys, surely they should be strong enough to withstand a couple of potholes, is this a case of not fit for purpose, remember seeing on watchdog a couple of months ago about BMW's and bad alloys...........

The ford 15" steelie's on my bogo style aren't much cop either as i've had to replace 3 so far, 1 from sliding into the kerb in the ice and 2 from potholes. I could bung on my 16" aftermarket alloys from my previous mk7 but the handling in the wet is very iffy, plus with the amount of potholes they can stay in the garage lol.

The ford 15" steelie's on my bogo style aren't much cop either as i've had to replace 3 so far, 1 from sliding into the kerb in the ice and 2 from potholes. I could bung on my 16" aftermarket alloys from my previous mk7 but the handling in the wet is very iffy, plus with the amount of potholes they can stay in the garage lol.

Good news :D

I have phoned my insurance company who are arrangeing for them to be replaced ( plus courtesy car).

I will discuss with the repairers if I can/should replace with something sturdier.

Paul

Ta

Good news :D

I have phoned my insurance company who are arrangeing for them to be replaced ( plus courtesy car).

I will discuss with the repairers if I can/should replace with something sturdier.

Paul

Ta

I think you may find that the insurance will only replace what's there. So a different replacement wheel may not be covered.

I have the exact same problem, vibration at high speeds. Hit a pot hole last week and dented the alloy, needs a refurb. aswell the frint tires are wearing on the inside more so than the rest of the tires. Somthings not quite right there.

There does seem to be a worringly high occurence of people getting buckled alloys on here.

I've been through a few wonderfully massive potholes over recent weeks but luckily my car feels still feels fine. There's so many craters around at the moment - I've been keeping my eye out and swerving all over the place to avoid them but this new cold snap will inevitably lead to plenty more. :unsure:

It's not just ford. Alot of large manufacturers are churning out really bad quality alloys. I hit a pothole in an Ibiza a few weeks back and it put a huge dent in the alloy.

Down with this sort of thing!

I've been looking all over the internet about problems with the Fiesta MK7 and there seems to be a hell of a lot going on here.............. *INCLUDING MINE* I have a Steering issue(to the right), MASSIVE wheel vibration(buckled wheels) and even the back wheels are looking out of allignment..................

whats going on???????? :huh::angry:

i am going to raise this issue and see if there is anything that can be done(like a RE-CALL) to sort this issue out once and for all!!!!!!!!!!!

can we start a good thread of and i am sure i can use it as a log or somthing---------->CHEERS<---------- :lol:

So are these HUGE potholes causing the alloy damage...or is the alloy weak?

I'm getting abit worried now :unsure:

I hit a pothole within 1 month circa mid december 2008, and totally bent the wheel on the inside, so I thought it was round!

2009_0115_175713-50.jpg

So are these HUGE potholes causing the alloy damage...or is the alloy weak?

I'm getting abit worried now :unsure:

I think it must be a mixture of both. As i have noticed most of the buckling it happening on Ford alloys.

I think it must be a mixture of both. As i have noticed most of the buckling it happening on Ford alloys.

Having worked in a car part supplier who among others supplied to Ford, I can confirm that the company always came under pressure from manufactures to reduce the cost to a minimum to win the contract, then cost reduce further during the life of the product, this obviously led to material specs etc being reduced, eg change to cheaper material, reduce material used etc, they have probably reduced the quality and strength of their alloys to the point where they meet their specifications but have become marginal and therefore likely to distort if you hit a large pothole

Having worked in a car part supplier who among others supplied to Ford, I can confirm that the company always came under pressure from manufactures to reduce the cost to a minimum to win the contract, then cost reduce further during the life of the product, this obviously led to material specs etc being reduced, eg change to cheaper material, reduce material used etc, they have probably reduced the quality and strength of their alloys to the point where they meet their specifications but have become marginal and therefore likely to distort if you hit a large pothole

This is what i thought, which i think is highly unfair due to the cost of a new Ford.

Is there not a one hyear warranty with wheels?, surely buckling would be covered if it can be shown that it was due to poor quality?

I'm dreading getting my alloys checked now! I can't afford new ones, no way! I'm so poor at the moment :( I had a look under my car at the weekend and visually they look fine, and still round :lol: and I feel no juddering in the steering, so hoping I'm safe. I have hit a fair few pot holes though, grrrrrrrrrrr :angry:

you'd notice something like that Flic! That rim keeps the tyre inflated, i whacked mine so hard it deflated on the spot!

There are high tech solutions available for potholes - they're called eyes, and lights when it's dark :lol:

There are high tech solutions available for potholes - they're called eyes, and lights when it's dark :lol:

Ooer!! I have a valid excuse Mr Dan! Single track lane, a puddle stretching the width of the road and a sensible speed = failiure!! Although much better is coming out of it so it's all gravy now!! :D

yea sometime they are not avoidable, but I admit I can miss most.

I just hope it keeps that way, I see some really bad ones on my travels.

Would dread to think what damage it would cause if I didn't miss them

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club