Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fit A Focus Rear Badge Light

Preee

Well it arrived all the way from China :D

Price £12.56.

This is a rear badge LED , fit's underneath the Ford badge , it has 3 wire's and 3M tape either side. Black = earth , Green = red (brake light) , Red = White (side light).

When i actually get to fit it i will show pics.

Legally i don't know full implications but as it will act as a 4th brake light i can't see a problem , unsure yet if i will wire the white side light in or not depending how bright it actually is when fitted.

I have tested it with power supply and it works so theres a good start.

Had a quick look and i may had to trim the outside edge or file it down for fitment.

So i will update this thread as i fit the light.

this is what it should look like:.

post-22424-0-05955300-1315403660_thumb.j

post-22424-0-27046200-1315403680_thumb.j

• Like 2

Well it arrived all the way from China :D

Price £12.56.

So i will update this thread as i fit the light.

Sounds Good Preee

looking foward to seeing the end result on this project mate B)

• Like 1

It's Done :P

I had to do some serious modifying i will explain with pictures tomorrow as i have to go to work.

Looks great , i love it, even wife likes it haha

• Like 2

It's Done :P

I had to do some serious modifying i will explain with pictures tomorrow as i have to go to work.

Looks great , i love it, even wife likes it haha

Glad it worked out mate, looking foward to the pictures take a few tomite also to see the full effect of the red light.B)

• Like 1

Hi, sounds interesting but having it lit up when you brake, does it fit the regulations for a braking light positon and type, have you checked on its legality? http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/12/made It wouldn't be good if you got pulled over for it.

Chris

• Like 2

Hi, sounds interesting but having it lit up when you brake, does it fit the regulations for a braking light positon and type, have you checked on its legality? http://www.legislati...chedule/12/made It wouldn't be good if you got pulled over for it.

Chris

.I’m sure it will be fine, as if the car was an MR2 or a saloon model focus, that would be the location of the brake light on the model as standard,

if the brake light was on the bottom of the car and it was the only brake light in use on the car i can see the issue,

but the standard brake lights, parkinglights etc. are all still functional as normal on the car an extra brake light wouldn’t be illegal

if it was the only indication light on the car for braking then it would be illegal.

Also this unit spreads the light around the body and not in to the eyes of the driver behind the car,

so they may not even even notice that theirs a red light around the badge i wouldnt be worried at all.B)

• Like 1

Having a quick read through , it seems to be not breaking any of those rules.

• Like 2

Having a quick read through , it seems to be not breaking any of those rules.

I knew it wouldn't mate, be fine any pictures please,

ive been logging in all day..... Come on :D

1) What was in the Box. , Light , Orange tassle , fitting instructions , even wife did not want orange tassle , she is so ungratefull ;)

post-22424-0-41882200-1315579891_thumb.j

2) Image before i started

post-22424-0-21199400-1315579896_thumb.j

3) Using hex screw driver bit , remove the 2 screws in finger recess , panel is secured then by at least 7 push fit clips , working from the bottom up to each side , balancing the panel and not dropping it like it did.:)

post-22424-0-66369300-1315579900_thumb.j

4) Panel removed.

post-22424-0-74435700-1315579904_thumb.j

5) With 10mm socket undo 6 securing nut's , there are 2 plastic clips that stop it dropping to the floor.

post-22424-0-66644600-1315579908_thumb.j

Undo wiring plug. prize out gromet from the front . Drop down allowing plastic clips to be pulled up and remove trim.

post-22424-0-12763600-1315579915_thumb.j

7) Rear view with trim removed

post-22424-0-95801200-1315579921_thumb.j

8) Removed trim

post-22424-0-11113000-1315579929_thumb.j

9) This is where the tears started to flow , realizing that the badge was thin metal shape fully secured to the plastic trim with double sided tape. First tried a little pressure , this was never going to happen. On the back of the badge location "no going back" i got out my trusted Fake Dremell "cheaper version" and ground away the plastic injection mould at the rear of the badge to gain access to the badge.

post-22424-0-52587500-1315579932_thumb.j

10) using a small bladed sharp knife i inserted the blade into the hole working my way around to cut the securing tape. I had to make the whole bigger to allow better access. Working slowly i cut through the tape and removed the very thin badge

post-22424-0-14730900-1315579936_thumb.j

11) This is what was left. :o Soon realizing that if i fitted the light onto where the bagde had come from there was no way it was going to fit. "swearing session began".

post-22424-0-56207900-1315579957_thumb.j

12) Deep breath. back to my fake dremell , using one of the cutting bits i set about removing the badge backing from the trim :ph34r: .Cut finger later and using small sanding bit i smoother off the cut edge

post-22424-0-39898500-1315579963_thumb.j

13) Placing the trim back up against the car , and trying the Light badge in the space , i realized the badge was slighty too wide and the bottom edge was not sitting very good on the lower section , so i smoothed out the bottom edge with the fake dremell and also reduced the two sides until it felt like a good fit.

post-22424-0-16645300-1315579970_thumb.j

14) Trip to Halfords to get some Double sided numberplate pads , and stuck the Cleaned up badge to the LIght fitting, and re-tested the light

post-22424-0-36115100-1315579978_thumb.j

post-22424-0-13169900-1315579974_thumb.j

15) Made a small hole in the Rubber gromet and fed the wires through.

post-22424-0-62926300-1315579982_thumb.j

16) Re-fitted the trim to the car and inserted the rubber gromet , pealed back of light pad sticky 3M and positioned into place (Smiling at this point) , Nice fit after all my efforts. Trip back to Halfords as i forgot my scotchlocks and also got some clear silicon. Pulled badge forward a little and applied clear sealent to the outside edge and pushed back into place and wiped clean.

post-22424-0-90200600-1315579985_thumb.j

17) Wiring. The number plate wires were coloured Black and Yellow , connected Black to Black and Yellow to Red light cables. Fingers crossed i turned the lights on .It worked.

post-22424-0-15103400-1315579989_thumb.j

post-22424-0-37459600-1315579992_thumb.j

18) Now for the brake light , Removing the top boot trim located the wires to the rear LED brake light , removed the rear brake light and unplugged the wire's. pulled wires back through to get better access. both wires were black :o .Fed new wire down right hand side of window trim and scotchlocked into one of the wires. Used my tester and dragged son down to press brake pedal. Pure luck i had hit the positive feed. Reassembled the LED and secured wiring and replaced the top trim. Scotchlocked now into the Green Wire from the light, and tested. Prefect :) . Tieded up the wiring and replaced the boot Trim and inserted the 2 screws back into the finger recess.

19) I will take some night pictures , first impression are very nice, White light is a little to bright IMHO so i will add a resister in there to reduce the intensity of the white light. Red light , works well but not exact same redness as the brake lights and is dimmer than the normal brake lights , i wlll of course be watching for any Blue lights :D .With side lights on White light goes out when you hit brakes it is replaced by the red. No lights on then the red light comes on when you Brake.

• Like 3

1) What was in the Box. , Light , Orange tassle , fitting instructions , even wife did not want orange tassle , she is so ungratefull ;)

:lol: Classic Mate, very funny :lol:

Looks brilliant on the car i want one on mine B)

:lol: Classic Mate, very funny :lol:

Looks brilliant on the car i want one on mine B)

Cheers Lenny

• Like 1

Nighttime shots,not too clear wifey parked to close to my bumper to get right behind.

post-22424-0-87216800-1315595766_thumb.j

post-22424-0-90343600-1315595770_thumb.j

• Like 2

Looks good mate - agree with you that the white is too bright.

• Like 1

Yes Barry i trip to maplins tomorrow to get a resistor , just want the white to glow or it might attract a Blue light :unsure:

• Like 2

Nice job but i thought you could only show a white light to the rear when reversing ?.

Nice job but i thought you could only show a white light to the rear when reversing ?.

Reading regulations i think i will remove the White Glow from side lights and wire it to the reversing light instead

• Like 1

Actually sounds like a much better idea mate - white light at the when driving forward is just wrong

• Like 1

All done i should ! be safe from the Blue lights now as this complies with regulations.A bit more wiring involved but all easy to do Reverse wires were orange/blue and black.

White now comes on when reverse is selected.

post-22424-0-61583600-1315664430_thumb.j

Hit the brake any time and it turns red even in reverse as in picture.

post-22424-0-71771200-1315664412_thumb.j

These lights come in different szies to fit Fiesta and Focus/Mondeo.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Excellent Guide Pree,

I finally got a picture of mine in the dark, thanks to your guide and information i now have one fitted :D worth every penny and all the effort,

im very happy with this,

Image1342.jpg

Fantastic!

This Mod would look tidy on your white Zs Mate B)

• 1 month later...

What a seriously cool bit of kit! B) Do you think the "white" option fo the light is for the front? and the red option for the rear? It'd be interesting to see one lit up as the front ford badge... ( I know the badge flips to reveal the bonnet catch... But i'm pretty sure the lighty up oval could be bonded onto the rear of the front badge somehow) B)

What a seriously cool bit of kit! B) Do you think the "white" option fo the light is for the front? and the red option for the rear? It'd be interesting to see one lit up as the front ford badge... ( I know the badge flips to reveal the bonnet catch... But i'm pretty sure the lighty up oval could be bonded onto the rear of the front badge somehow) B)

it would look nice on the front but would take alot of cutting to get it just right,

because the led's on these are fitted to the centre of the unit, drilling a hole for the lock is not an option.

but you could perhaps fit it to the flip part of the badge, and this would require some cutting of the chrome section to get it to flip smoothly, and you would also need some extra insulation on the cable to give some extra protection on the flipping.

and the original intentions were that when you put your lights on

the rear badge would illuminate a white glow,

then when you hit the brakes it would change to white,

but UK and EU laws state that a white light to the rear must only display when reversing, except for reg plate illumination,

the model i purchased just has the red feature, but pree has done a fantastic job fitting his and has connected the white light to his reverse and the red light to the brakes,

if i was buying again, i would do the same as pree has done too.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club