Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Elm327/forscan

sonic113

Hi Guys

Im looking to get a home setup for my focus so I can read live data and that sort of thing.

I have a basic obd code reader but I have had it a few years now and have been reading about this elm327 setup alongside forscan.

can anyone tell me more about this for examples what exactly it is and how it works?

Can it be used for live data streams and checking readings on different sensors ect?

Is it as close as the home DIY mechanic will get to what ford techs use in the dealership?

sound like a useful too/gadget I have read that some people are using it to take dpf readings in graph form ect so I was thinking this may be a useful piece of kit to have.

Thanks

anyone who has it let me know what you think of it as well and if it has proved to be useful to you.

Check my signature fella, theres a link there on a guide I wrote that will help to get you started :)

Basically it allows you to read pretty much every sensor it can access (so far I havent found anything it cant read, but then I havent got every ford ever made to test it with :p)

You can do thorough diagnostics (I helped my Auto Leccy identify an issue with my airbag resistance using this!) and read general error codes.

Read my thread, and if you have any questions, let me know!

• Like 2

its easy enough to use it and more importantly its actively updated, id consider paying for it its so good and lets just say I don't usually pay for software!

there is quite a few folk on here that use it too so im sure there will always be someone about that can guide you, but it really is pretty easy going :)

• Like 2

definitely is worth its weight! it makes a nice change to find a free bit of software that works so well!

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Check my signature fella, theres a link there on a guide I wrote that will help to get you started :)

Basically it allows you to read pretty much every sensor it can access (so far I havent found anything it cant read, but then I havent got every ford ever made to test it with :P)

You can do thorough diagnostics (I helped my Auto Leccy identify an issue with my airbag resistance using this!) and read general error codes.

Read my thread, and if you have any questions, let me know!

James I downloaded your pdf and looks good to get me started.

The link is outdated for the elm usb cable. I was going to buy one I saw on eBay but I noticed you have "Modified elm cable" so the one I was looking at is maybe wrong. Can you link me to the correct one?

Thanks

its easy enough to use it and more importantly its actively updated, id consider paying for it its so good and lets just say I don't usually pay for software!

there is quite a few folk on here that use it too so im sure there will always be someone about that can guide you, but it really is pretty easy going :)

definitely is worth its weight! it makes a nice change to find a free bit of software that works so well!

I agree fellas its nice to get software that is free but also that actually works well. :)

• Like 1

the 500k is an important part for doing much with MS-CAN so whatever you get make sure its definitely 500K compatible, some of the newer ones aren't, I had one that worked for some MS-CAN stuff but didn't always remain stable, so I ditched it, better safe than sorry when uploading firmware!

But its also worth remember that almost all the functions you will use day to day are apart of HS-CAN, meaning any ELM327 device will do the job but there isn't any sense getting one that's not modified.

im actually getting a cheapy bluetooth one as well, if its latency is good enough Itll mean I can ditch the cable for recording data. ill keep that cable to hand when I need to modify GEM or PCM an such like though.

• Like 1

Thanks James I have ordered on so I will give it a try using your pdf guide.

the 500k is an important part for doing much with MS-CAN so whatever you get make sure its definitely 500K compatible, some of the newer ones aren't, I had one that worked for some MS-CAN stuff but didn't always remain stable, so I ditched it, better safe than sorry when uploading firmware!

But its also worth remember that almost all the functions you will use day to day are apart of HS-CAN, meaning any ELM327 device will do the job but there isn't any sense getting one that's not modified.

im actually getting a cheapy Bluetooth one as well, if its latency is good enough Itll mean I can ditch the cable for recording data. ill keep that cable to hand when I need to modify GEM or PCM an such like though.

Good point Darren. I think the one James linked me to is 500K. If all goes well in the future I might invest in a blue tooth version but for now I will try the cabled one.

Thanks guys.

:)

Cabled is best IMHO, unless you have a windows tablet that supports all of these protocols... Hope it comes in use fella and if you need anything I will try do what I can go help.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

ok guys just an update here. I got my elm cable today so what software do I need to go with it. I think the disc that came with it has the drivers and "FORScanSetup2.1.21.exe". I want to change some settings in the focus as well as read live data ect for any issues that may occur in the future so what software do I need or will forscan do all?

Thanks

Forscan is for reading error codes and live data plus doing some service procedures. To modify options on your car you need another piece of software, either Elmconfig for MK2/2.5 or there's another one for the MK3 but can't remember what its called offhand, on mobile so not sure what MK your car is either.

Focccus is the software for mk3.

Thanks fellas. Does any one have any links to the elmconfig software?

Also james in have your PDF guide so that should help me get started and find my way around the software.

No softies hope it helps :-) elm config is in the elm guide on the forum. Gp to focus section then guides, then the elm327 and elm config thread is there with software links on page 1

• Like 1

No softies hope it helps :-) elm config is in the elm guide on the forum. Gp to focus section then guides, then the elm327 and elm config thread is there with software links on page 1

http://civil.iffc.ru/ELMConfig/

you will find the most up to date version here :)

oops, beat to it!

Thanks fellas. I will have a go later in the week at connecting to the focus and see what options are available to me. It also be nice to be able to see live data in case of any issues in the future it may be useful to help with the diagnosis od any problems.

Does forscan/elmconfif work with just the focus model of the fords or can it be used with the cmax as well? the model in question is the 2010 1.6 zetec version of the cmax.

All ford's mate as long as they are can bus 2 so everything since 04 (for forscan) elm config is more specific, focus, cmax, Mondeo, smax and that's all I remember. Focccus is the mk3 focus.

• Like 2

I have a wee routine with forscan, every month ill record the same journey trying to drive in a similar manor or before an after doing some work to the car. just in case I need the data, it helped with a sensor that stopped working after a trip to the garage, the data proved it was fine before I gave it to them so they swapped it out. could see the results of cleaning the MAF and air filter, now I can keep an eye on it to see when it needs checked again.

im sure theres plenty more that could be done with it too

• Like 1

I have a wee routine with forscan, every month ill record the same journey trying to drive in a similar manor or before an after doing some work to the car. just in case I need the data, it helped with a sensor that stopped working after a trip to the garage, the data proved it was fine before I gave it to them so they swapped it out. could see the results of cleaning the MAF and air filter, now I can keep an eye on it to see when it needs checked again.

im sure theres plenty more that could be done with it too

Darren that's a good idea. I wouldn't mind trying something like that before or after engine work ect to keep records to help with any problems. also when first time use of forscan or elm config is there anything I need to back up like the cars settings or anything just incase or is it safe enough to use?

Forscan is fine, but if you play with elmconfig, download and save the settings on every page first...

• Like 1

Forscan is fine, but if you play with elmconfig, download and save the settings on every page first...

thanks James. I will try it out and see what happens. :)

ok fella been playing around with elmconfig and so far all seems to be working with the cable. when switching between two different "CANS" (MS-CAN , HS-CAN) its asks to flick the switch over on the cable. I managed to turn the seat belt chime off as a test and t work well. also I have been trying to add the green shift up arrow and cant seem to get it working.

I noticed it first on the cluster LED test so when I got the elm set up I thought I might be fit to activate it.

when I selected ford shift up and eco mode it now comes on and off when you start the car but does not appear to come on when driving. maybe I have not got something right. I found another option both under the HS-CAN in the HEC section. can someone tell me what the difference is in these options?

The two I have ticked as in the image and the green arrow comes on when ignition is one along with the other cluster lights.

Pic One

the other option I have not tried yet as Im not sure what the difference is here.

Pic Two

Thanks

Basically you need to upgrade the firmware. I highly recommend that you do not make any changes without saving every page twice before you muck around, so you always have two backups to get it working...

As for those settings, this will likely need an update to the instrument cluster so don't Dive into it.

• Like 1

you can update the cluster without too much bother, the eco shift mode wont work, you don't have the hardware but the eco mode will work but only after the cluster update, there has been reports of folk having some odd cluster issues with the eco shift setting selected on cars that don't support it.

eco mode does nothing more then show you how economical your driving style is, its kinda cool, an gives you some basic suggestions to improve things, like, try slowing down ;)

• Like 1

my hardware HEC is 8V4T-14C226-AB and I updated to software version 8V4T-14C026-AK

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club