Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Painting Brake Calipers (need ideas!)

L22EEW

Get a wire brush to take any rust/paint flakes off first. 

Use some decent paint like Hammerite and it should be fine.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Get a wire brush to take any rust/paint flakes off first. 

Use some decent paint like Hammerite and it should be fine.

I used this colour so is it not good ?

image.jpeg

Caliper paint 'should' be good for calipers I guess lol, but I've never used that one myself so not sure. 

8 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

Should I brush the paint off then ?? And repaint ?

Are there any Brembo caliper covers ?? I saw some poeple have it would love to have that instead ? With Brembo logo

but they say its overheating the brakes so

not sire lol

Tbh they look terrible on the tiny standard brakes anyway, its obviously they aren't massive Brembo 4 pots... :laugh: 

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Tbh they look terrible on the tiny standard brakes anyway, its obviously they aren't massive Brembo 4 pots... :laugh: 

I will just repaint then 👍

• Like 2

May be worth your while cleaning them first with something like Wynn's brake & clutch cleaner as a degreaser,preparation is the secret of doing a good job as  @TomsFocushas said above. Also once painted give them a couple of coats of Very High Temperature clear lacquer & they'll look good & last forever. If you really want the Brembo 'look' try searching eBay (other websites are available!) for Brembo stickers for them.

1 hour ago, SpannerTheCat said:

May be worth your while cleaning them first with something like Wynn's brake & clutch cleaner as a degreaser,preparation is the secret of doing a good job as  @TomsFocushas said above. Also once painted give them a couple of coats of Very High Temperature clear lacquer & they'll look good & last forever. If you really want the Brembo 'look' try searching eBay (other websites are available!) for Brembo stickers for them.

That is perfect idea sticker did not even think about that lol ! But will it not melt ??? I did use the cleaner already but the paint seem to come off anyway but maybe I should off make at least 2-3 coats not one my fault ! 

I did mine the other day with Foilatec. It came with everything in the box. It cost £25 but I'm happy with it. It's in my project thread if your want to see them

21 minutes ago, Crraigan said:

I did mine the other day with Foilatec. It came with everything in the box. It cost £25 but I'm happy with it. It's in my project thread if your want to see them

How many miles you made since painted it ? Is it still nice as on day one

I looked at this with interest and decided I'd have a go.   However, before I did, I rang my insurance and asked them if it would be considered a modification.   The guy said tht it would and I asked why, as it didn't alter the car except in appearance.   He said that it make it more liable to being stolen.   Really!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

How many miles you made since painted it ? Is it still nice as on day one

I've only done around 150miles since but they are still bright. I'm happy with them

you get everything you need in the foilatec box which is why I went for the more expensive option

1 hour ago, Crraigan said:

I've only done around 150miles since but they are still bright. I'm happy with them

you get everything you need in the foilatec box which is why I went for the more expensive option

Mine come

wirh everything as wel I done 5k miles

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

That is perfect idea sticker did not even think about that lol ! But will it not melt ??? I did use the cleaner already but the paint seem to come off anyway but maybe I should off make at least 2-3 coats not one my fault ! 

Just noticed the tin of cleaner in your previous post,that should be ok to use i imagine. Wouldn't have thought that the 'Brembo' stickers would melt but it's a mod i'll not be doing myself,you could consider Ford logos instead?

On the calipers i used a wire brush attachment on a Black & Decker drill then a good clean up of dust & crud with the *Girlfriends toothbrush*  I used masking tape around all parts that i didn't want painting to make a neat job of it. It's better to do many thin coats of caliper paint to build up rather than just one great big thick dollop. Don't forget to use axle stands to support the car & put the taken off wheel under the sill to be extra sure,better to work safely at all times. Get some before & after pictures posted too,bet you'll be pleased with the end result :yahoo:

*Only joking about using the Girlfriends toothbrush!*

1 hour ago, SpannerTheCat said:

Just noticed the tin of cleaner in your previous post,that should be ok to use i imagine. Wouldn't have thought that the 'Brembo' stickers would melt but it's a mod i'll not be doing myself,you could consider Ford logos instead?

On the calipers i used a wire brush attachment on a Black & Decker drill then a good clean up of dust & crud with the *Girlfriends toothbrush*  I used masking tape around all parts that i didn't want painting to make a neat job of it. It's better to do many thin coats of caliper paint to build up rather than just one great big thick dollop. Don't forget to use axle stands to support the car & put the taken off wheel under the sill to be extra sure,better to work safely at all times. Get some before & after pictures posted too,bet you'll be pleased with the end result :yahoo:

*Only joking about using the Girlfriends toothbrush!*

I have done it exactly how you say just done one coat that is the problem the Brembo sticker just checked are heat protected up for 500 celsium will do If I have time to do it on my only say off on Tuesday as needs to go to Maidstone will see when I come Back

Just to go off topic for a moment,i saw a picture of your car earlier on another thread,have you considered changing your rear window wiper to the later type like mine? Some late model Astra's also fit as well if you're around a scrapyard,personally think it makes the rear a bit more smarter,picture of mine below with Club sticker & furry dice.

20160718_155811.jpg

54 minutes ago, SpannerTheCat said:

Just to go off topic for a moment,i saw a picture of your car earlier on another thread,have you considered changing your rear window wiper to the later type like mine? Some late model Astra's also fit as well if you're around a scrapyard,personally think it makes the rear a bit more smarter,picture of mine below with Club sticker & furry dice.

20160718_155811.jpg

Never throught about that lol but does not look bad have you got instagram add me anyone its iboss

I'm leaning towards the Nitro Blue at the moment...

7 hours ago, L22EEW said:

I'm leaning towards the Nitro Blue at the moment...

What is that ? 🙃

23 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

Never throught about that lol but does not look bad have you got instagram add me anyone its iboss

Sorry i don't do Instagram,Bookface or Twatter,think i may still have a Myspace page but i've not been on there for the last 100 years,lol.

14 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

What is that ? 🙃

20160715_161412.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SpannerTheCat said:

Sorry i don't do Instagram,Bookface or Twatter,think i may still have a Myspace page but i've not been on there for the last 100 years,lol.

Is Myspace still going!?  Showing your age there though! :laugh: 

I'm always surprised when someone says they don't have facebook nowadays. :unsure: Didn't get on with Twitter though, and don't understand instantgram...surely those 2 together (pictures and statuses) make up facebook lol...

On topic though, the rear wiper on my Mk6 is knackered, the spring has seized in the arm, funds don't allow atm but when they do I'll look at changing for a plastic one like yours. :smile: 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Is Myspace still going!?  Showing your age there though! :laugh: 

I'm always surprised when someone says they don't have facebook nowadays. :unsure: Didn't get on with Twitter though, and don't understand instantgram...surely those 2 together (pictures and statuses) make up facebook lol...

On topic though, the rear wiper on my Mk6 is knackered, the spring has seized in the arm, funds don't allow atm but when they do I'll look at changing for a plastic one like yours. :smile: 

I was also thinking getting rid off ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club