Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Fan Noise After Switching Off

ajpattison

I have an '09 Mondeo 1.8 TDCi

Over the last few days I have noticed that after switching off the engine, there is a continuing noise like a fan running in the engine compartment, accompanied by a funny smell, and i can feel air (cool) blowing out of the front grill. This goes on for a good couple of minutes. I have only had the car about 6 weeks, and it's just started doing it the last few days.

I've read some posts that suggest this might be the DPF regenerating. This has however happened for the last 3 or 4 consecutive days, at both ends of my journey to/from work (abut 17 miles, mostly motorway)

Is this a DPF regen? Should it eb happening so often? Or is it something else? Most importantly, is it something I need to be worried about or do something about, or is it normal

Any input gratefully received

if your engine is getting hot enough to cut the fan in and then you switch the engine off, the fan will continue to cool the engine so that the temp does not get to high, i take it your coolant level is ok ?

• 3 weeks later...

Good call! Should have thought of that. The level was indeed v. low. Topped it up but it dropped again, so took it into main dealers. They have now informed me it needs a water pump

What I don't get is how a water pump impacts on coolant level? I'm concerned they've hooked it up to the diagnostic computer and got this response without looking for a good old fashioned leak

can anyone shed any light?

What I don't get is how a water pump impacts on coolant level? I'm concerned they've hooked it up to the diagnostic computer and got this response without looking for a good old fashioned leak

Only comment I can make is that my Mother's Suzuki was losing coolant and the leak was in the water pump. Presumably your Dealer will have static pressure tested your system and seen leakage from the pump.

Stewart.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club