Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor Mpg- Mondeo Tddi

Gareth Troy

Hello all,

I'm currently driving about in a 51 plate mondeo TDDi and what puzzles me, is that I am only getting about 30 mpg! I'm sure that this figure isn't right, as I always seem to be at the garage fueling up!

I thought diesels are meant to be more fuel efficient? I did have it in at a garage not too long ago to have the power steering pump replaced and the mechanic who did it, took it home (to check pump for leaks) and his words to me the next day where "There aint much go in this is there? I had to make an appoitment just to overtake someone!!" :P

I have always thought that the car is abit flat, just doesnt seem to have any power at all for a turbo diesel and what I'v been led to believe that the problem for the lack of power and excessive fuel consumption could be the EGR valve. The same mechanic mentioned earlier did hook the car up to a scanner and it did mention that there may be a problem with the EGR valve.

What I'm asking then really, is the problem likely to be this valve and how easliy are they to remove? I'v seen one on eBay for £20 and I have been looking about on the net regarding this issue and there are plenty of pages regarding this valve, on the TDCi, but I cannot find any advice about it regarding the TDDi!!

Any help on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated as it seems to be costing me a small fortune in diesel these days, and its embarrassing trying to overtake boy racers in mk1 vauxhall corsa's :D

Cheers all, Gareth

• 4 weeks later...

You really need to get the fault codes read, and take it from there...My 06 2.2 diesel has EGR fault codes logged ...i've tried to clean the valve but it's still the same...I haven't noticed much change in MPG, but when the glow plug light flashes it goes into limp home mode....Could yours be something as daft as the brakes binding......Bill

You really need to get the fault codes read, and take it from there...My 06 2.2 diesel has EGR fault codes logged ...i've tried to clean the valve but it's still the same...I haven't noticed much change in MPG, but when the glow plug light flashes it goes into limp home mode....Could yours be something as daft as the brakes binding......Bill

Thanks for the reply Bill.

Sorry to sound daft, but what does it mean to get the codes logged? :huh: I was led to presume its this EGR valve that seems to be the issue, he never really give me a code, just said that's what it's likely to be!!

Anyhow, I'v managed to get a 2nd hand clean one but it looks a ballache swapping it over due to its location!! I could try and tackle it but then find, like you'v mentioned, it'l still be the same! Just would be intresting to find somebody who has a similar problem.

As for the brakes, it cant be them as I'v not long had them changed, the pads that is, and it doesnt show up on the "rolling road" brake test on the MOT.

Fault codes logged means that if the EGR has operated outside of it's set paramaters, then your engine management light ( the small orange engine shaped light ) should be illuminated, this means that some fault code should be logged, and having it read with a code reader can help you narrow down the problem.Sound like the bloke with the scanner did this , and should know whether it points to the EGR.This is of course presuming that your egr is electrically operated ( as mine is )If it's vacuum operated you may not get any codes logged.....Not sure which Euro version your engine is , but if it's earlier than Euro 4 you may be able to blank the EGR off and remove the problem all together.You could also try removing it and cleaning it as a lot of people on here suggest.Hope this makes sense....Bill

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club