Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Trouble !

emmajc

Hi,i bought myself what i thought was a bargain a couple of days ago.

Its a 2001 focus 1.8 16v zetec,but it seems to have a couple of issues which have only been noticed after a couple of days of driving.

Firstly,when i start the car it seems to idle fine for around 5 seconds,then it clicks,idles rough then clicks again,or cuts out impossible when at traffic lights as it dies.engine also gets very hot very quick.

also on 2 occasions i have been driving along when the steering has gone really hard and all the lights on the dash come on,even though its still running..

CONFUSED !!

Any help would be much appreciated

thanks

Hi,i bought myself what i thought was a bargain a couple of days ago.

Its a 2001 focus 1.8 16v zetec,but it seems to have a couple of issues which have only been noticed after a couple of days of driving.

Firstly,when i start the car it seems to idle fine for around 5 seconds,then it clicks,idles rough then clicks again,or cuts out impossible when at traffic lights as it dies.engine also gets very hot very quick.

also on 2 occasions i have been driving along when the steering has gone really hard and all the lights on the dash come on,even though its still running..

CONFUSED !!

Any help would be much appreciated

thanks

the steering is either a power steering pump fault or a steering rack issue the dying at lights is either idle control valve or start the car up open the hood and look at the throttle look behind it at the firewall and youll see a rubber hose coming from the rear of the throttle see if it collapses when the cars revved or idling if so replace it what do yoiu mean the engine gets hot quick? does the temp gauge sit half way? are both the top and bottom rad hoses hot and the radiator when left idling

the steering is either a power steering pump fault or a steering rack issue the dying at lights is either idle control valve or start the car up open the hood and look at the throttle look behind it at the firewall and youll see a rubber hose coming from the rear of the throttle see if it collapses when the cars revved or idling if so replace it what do yoiu mean the engine gets hot quick? does the temp gauge sit half way? are both the top and bottom rad hoses hot and the radiator when left idling

The temp gauge goes just past halfway as soon as i start the car,not sure if its supposed to sit that high straight away ?.

The rubber hose doesnt collapse when left to idle(for the short time it idles before cutting out) or when revved.the top and bottom hoses and the rad get hot quite quickly.

thanks for the advice re the steering,i'll get it looked at.

The temp gauge goes just past halfway as soon as i start the car,not sure if its supposed to sit that high straight away ?.

The rubber hose doesnt collapse when left to idle(for the short time it idles before cutting out) or when revved.the top and bottom hoses and the rad get hot quite quickly.

thanks for the advice re the steering,i'll get it looked at.

temp gauge shouldnt go up that far straight away i think you should get a ford diagnostics done it sounds like the temperature sensor at the back of the head is faulty this can explain why its cutting out that sensor shows the temp on the gauge but is linked to the ecu and calculates fueling if its showing a hot engine when its actally cold it will be running lean it wont be cheap as the alternator needs removed just to get into it but it does need done or it will damage the engine.

temp gauge shouldnt go up that far straight away i think you should get a ford diagnostics done it sounds like the temperature sensor at the back of the head is faulty this can explain why its cutting out that sensor shows the temp on the gauge but is linked to the ecu and calculates fueling if its showing a hot engine when its actally cold it will be running lean it wont be cheap as the alternator needs removed just to get into it but it does need done or it will damage the engine.

Thanks,i'll get it booked in for diagnostic asap.hopefully its nothing too serious..

cheers for the advice.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club