Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alarming Vibrations

specialk83

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and am looking for some advice.

I have a 2000 X-reg 1.8 Zetec with around 120k on the clock. Over the past trips to work, I've noticed severe vibrations coming back through the steering wheel when I get to between 60-70mph.

As I thought this was a balancing issue, I've had both front tyres replaced (as they were worn) and re-balanced yet this problem seems to persist.

When I reduce speed down to below 60, the vibrations go away.

Is there anything obvious that I can check?

Thanks in advance,

Kev

Could be bent wheels or knackered tyres. Make sure the wheel bolts are tight.

Check for play in the wheel by grabbing the wheel and rocking each axis (up/down, left/right). If there is any movement it's usally an indicator of a worn wheel bearing. It could also be an engine mount. They are gell filled mounts that prevent knocking or vibration. Over time they get worn and need replacing.

Don't believe it would be bent wheels or knackered tyres. The tyres are brand new and surely any bent wheels would have been picked up when balancing. Also, would this not cause vibration all the time rather than just at certain speeds?

Will still double check though and will check for any play in the wheels.

Thanks for your help,

Kev

Don't believe it would be bent wheels or knackered tyres. The tyres are brand new and surely any bent wheels would have been picked up when balancing. Also, would this not cause vibration all the time rather than just at certain speeds?

Will still double check though and will check for any play in the wheels.

Thanks for your help,

Kev

buckiled alloys from speed humps and pot holes all alloys get buckled they would have balanced the wheels but not exactly they will still be slightly out due to any buckle as said its either that or a worn bearing or balljoint

Tried rocking the wheels and there was no play whatsoever.

One thing I did observe on my drive home is that around about 2,500rpm the sound from under the bonnet was almost as if I was driving over cats eyes. Once I dropped to under 2,000rpm, the sound and vibrations disappeared.

How can I check for buckled alloys? They appear absolutely fine on both the outer and inner rims.

For anyone who may be interested, it turned out to be an intermittent binding front right brake caliper.

No more vibrations

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club