Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smoke From 1.8 Tdci

focusdriver

My 55 1.8 TDCi puts out a fair bit of smoke when starting lately, and also when revving above 3000 revs just before changing up. I can't remember if it did the same thing last year, and wondered if this was normal because of starting it in cold weather. I think there's a blueish tint to the colour of the smoke (though I may be being paranoid).

It had an MOT in Nov 2011 and went through a major service in Sep 2011 (oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter changed). The mileage is at 121K currently - I know the belt needs changing at 125K but planned to do this in a few months.

Also, the MPG on the display seems to have gone from 50mpg in summer to about 45-46mpg (though it did go down last winter - I don't think it went down this much)

Is this anything to be concerned about?

mpg will deteriorate with age, unfortunately that is not something that can be helped, however you can service thoroughly and try and keep it clean.

Try using BG244 in the same way you would redex, its a very good method of cleaning out the car! (make sure you get the diesel variety!)

Otherwise, it is getting colder, and unfortunately that does in fact reduce MPG, turbo's love the cold, and for some reason seem to reduce MPG, I guess it just burns it but not as economically.

The smoke can be improved by the BG244 however I would advise monitor your oil level, a tint of blue smoke can mean that some oil is being burned!

Since it's got colder, my 56 1.8 TDCi has also started making some white smoke on startup in the morning. It's also a bit lumpy until it warms up. (Note that there is no bluish tint)

However when I start the engine when it;s warm from recent running, or in the daytime (when the ambient temp is warmer) , there's no smoke whatsoever and the engine is nice and smooth.

Therefore I put it down to the cold, and fully expect the problem (if indeed it is a problem) to go away when it gets warmer.

I may look into replacing the glow plugs - perhaps you could try the same?

Likewise I have also seen MPG drop from around 50 to 45. Again I put this down to the cold, and it should go back up in the spring.

Hi all i have a 1.8tdi and mine does the same on first start sounds lumpy and there's smoke, but when she's warm smooth as silk my mpg has also dropped so I don't think its anything to worry about I work for royal mail and our transits are the same on first start I'm sure a service will do it no harm. Hope this helps.

Hi, mine is the same in the cold, my miles also drop in the winter, due to the engine working harder with all of the electric's on, starting is not a problem..

I'm not sure about the blue-ish tint, it may be me seeing things, will have a closer look in the morning.

It runs perfectly smooth when driving so it must be the cold.

jeebowhite BG244 sounds good, where do you get your supply from?

Pitmonster how much is it to change the glow plugs? Is it something a garage needs to do?

Thanks for the help guys

I've had a look and a set of Bosch glow plugs is around £40, although other brands are less (around £25-30) - but I think I'll go for Bosch when I do mine.

You should be able to fit them yourself with the right tools, I'm sure there's advice on here.

I'm not sure about the blue-ish tint, it may be me seeing things, will have a closer look in the morning.

It runs perfectly smooth when driving so it must be the cold.

jeebowhite BG244 sounds good, where do you get your supply from?

Pitmonster how much is it to change the glow plugs? Is it something a garage needs to do?

Thanks for the help guys

You can get it from eBay, and other sites, just depends if you want to chase the cheap price or not... otherwise give a call to your local eurocarparts... They sometimes carry a stock!

You can get it from ebay, and other sites, just depends if you want to chase the cheap price or not... otherwise give a call to your local eurocarparts... They sometimes carry a stock!

Got it on amazon for £22.95 - seemed the same price on eBay. Thanks again. :)

• 3 months later...

An update to this, I've put in a diesel cleaner which has had no effect. My local garage says it's just down to wear and tear, and the mileage (125K). It's not burning any oil and everything else is running fine.

Pitmonster, I've got exactly the same symptoms as yours. Did you replace the glow plugs in yours? If so did it make any diffrence?

I never got around to changing the glowplugs on mine, but since the weather has got warmer I'm seeing a huge reduction in smoke on startup. MPG has improved again, I'm now well above 50 which is what I expected to see.

I will change the glow plugs at some point, probably when I get it serviced later in the year.

I found these genuine Ford glow plugs for the 1.8 TDCi online - the link was from the website of my local Ford dealer.

Price is £7.87 incl VAT, so a set of 4 will cost £31.48 + p&p

http://www.forddirectparts.co.uk/engine-parts/ignition/glow-plugs/glow-plugs.html

Pitmonster, how many miles has yours done?

I would'nt worry about it m8, it seems to be a similar pattern with the diesels. Mine smokes like a gud un on the first start up of the day, and there IS a blue tinge to mine too, and it runs rough until reaching operating temp, then smooth as you like for the rest of the day. It does'nt worry me, as its not losing any oil, and I take comfort from the fact that next doors 1 year old car with less than 10'000 miles on the clock does exactly the same thing on the first start up of the day.

Dont quite know what happened with the last post, but basically I wouldn't worry about it, mine does the same on first start up of the day, and there IS a blue tinge to the smoke, and it runs rough until reaching operating temp. But it doesn't lose any oil, and I also take comfort from the fact that next doors 1 year old car, with less than 10'000 miles on the clock, does exactly the same thing.

Pitmonster, how many miles has yours done?

Last month it ticked over to 70,000 miles. It was serviced at 62.5k (when I bought it) and the next service is due at 75k. Intervals are 12.5k

The car is a 2006/56 and is 5 and a half years old.

Thanks for the posts guys. I'll take comfort in the fact that my Focus has done 125K miles, and by the sounds of it the smoke first thing in the morning is a common occurrence.

<_<

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club